[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] DOS & UNIX ethernet board wish list

aland@infmx.UUCP (Dr. Scump) (02/10/90)

In article <26490@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>mike@glisten.UUCP (Michael Wendel) in <195@glisten.UUCP> mentions:
>
>	AT&T has announced Ethernet compatability (IEEE 802.3) with its
>	Starlan 10 product. I have AT&T literature on this product offering.
>	It is available directly from AT&T. They provide a toll free number
>	for more information:  1-800-247-1212.
>
>The original 1Mbit/sec StarLAN is also 802.3 compatible; more specifically,
>ANSI/IEEE 802.3e-1988, Type 1BASE5.
>The "new" StarLAN-10 is Type 10BASE5.
>  <etc.>

This brings to mind a question.  Does anybody know of an ethernet
board which will operate for *all* the following uses:
    a) under UNIX Sys V/386 Rel 3.2.2 on a 6386:
       *  uucp
       *  tcp/ip
       *  NFS or RFS
       *  etc.

    b) under MS-DOS 3.30 or 4.01, also on a 6386:
       *  PC-NFS   (or, FTP Software's PC/TCP will do in a pinch)
       *  Novell NetWare  (I can live without this, but it'd be nice)

A couple of 3Com cards come close - they are supported for PC-NFS and
for UNIX use under 386/ix or SCO (but not AT&T).  The AT&T Micom/
Interlan hardware for UNIX won't work with the DOS needs, nor will
the EN100/Wollongong combo, as far as I know.  (Plus, the Informix
I-NET products are only ported to the Micom combo so far).

Is this a pipe dream?  Any advice appreciated.
Followups to comp.sys.att.

--
Alan S. Denney  @  Informix Software, Inc.       "We're homeward bound
aland@informix.com  {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland   ('tis a damn fine sound!)

thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog) (02/14/90)

> Dr. Scump at Informix writes:
> This brings to mind a question.  Does anybody know of an ethernet
> board which will operate for *all* the following uses:
>     a) under UNIX Sys V/386 Rel 3.2.2 on a 6386:
>        *  uucp
>        *  tcp/ip
>        *  NFS or RFS
>        *  etc.
>
>     b) under MS-DOS 3.30 or 4.01, also on a 6386:
>        *  PC-NFS   (or, FTP Software's PC/TCP will do in a pinch)
>        *  Novell NetWare  (I can live without this, but it'd be nice)

Unix V.3 uses a device interface spec called (variously) LLI or DLI.
This specifies a type of UNIX Streams driver which controls an Ethernet
card.  All four Streams TCP/IP brands (Streamlined, Wollongong, Lachman,
Interactive) use this standard, with proprietary extensions for error
reporting.  Western Digital, Intel and Tiara Systems have written Streams
LLI/DLI drivers for their boards and give them out under non-disclosure.
I don't know if the Intel board (PC586) is supported under DOS, but the
the other two (WD 8013 and Tiara LanE-16) are for all three DOS packages
mentioned.  All three boards have 16-bit bus interfaces and 16-64k of
buffer RAM; all have worked well here at Streamlined.  (WD, Irvine, CA;
Tiara, Mt. View, CA; Intel, Hillsborough, 503-696-8080).

The above TCP vendors also generally have a miscellany of drivers for old
8-bit Ethernet cards like the 3com's, UB, Micom dumb cards, etc.  We don't
recommend any of these cards; we get a 150-200% performance improvement with
16-bit Ethernet cards.  (In particular, 3com 501's should be buried with
a soldering iron through the heart.)

Other news: for $3500 you can get FDDI cards with UNIX Streams and DOS Novell
drivers (Speed International, La Habra, CA).  Also, Thomas-Conrad (Austin) has
announced a proprietary 100-mbit fiber protocol whose boards cost ~$1000 and
are totally compatible with existing Arcnet drivers.  If you wondered what poin
there was to an RFC for running IP over Arcnet (I certainly did), now you know.

Lance Norskog
Sales Engineer
Streamlined Networks
415-659-1450

In article <26890@cup.portal.com> thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog) writes:

   If you wondered what point there was to an RFC for running IP over
   Arcnet (I certainly did), now you know.

Um, Lance, some of our students plan to use twisted pair ARCNET to bring
TCP/IP into their dorm rooms.  Yes, at 2Mbit.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
Violence never solves problems, it just changes them into more subtle problems

John_Robert_Breeden@cup.portal.com (02/23/90)

>    a) under UNIX Sys V/386 Rel 3.2.2 on a 6386:
>       *  uucp
>       *  tcp/ip
>       *  NFS or RFS
>       *  etc.

>    b) under MS-DOS 3.30 or 4.01, also on a 6386:
>       *  PC-NFS   (or, FTP Software's PC/TCP will do in a pinch)
>       *  Novell NetWare  (I can live without this, but it'd be nice)

>A couple of 3Com cards come close - they are supported for PC-NFS and
>for UNIX use under 386/ix or SCO (but not AT&T).  The AT&T Micom/
>Interlan hardware for UNIX won't work with the DOS needs, nor will
>the EN100/Wollongong combo, as far as I know.  (Plus, the Informix
>I-NET products are only ported to the Micom combo so far).

Back to the AT&T EN100 board, it is EXACTLY the same interface as the
TP board (NAU). FTP writes a driver for their PC/TCP (you want FTP
Release 2.04 - I don't know if AT&T is shipping it, but you can get
it direct from FTP, the driver that supports the NAU also supports
the EN100 - that takes care of the DOS side.

As far as Unix goes, the WIN/386 DOES run on the EN100. Quoting AT&T
document "Announcement odf AT&T's Enhanced TCP/IP WINN/386 Release 3.0
for 6386WGS Computers" is the following:

"Specifications

The software requires AT&T UNIX System V Release 3.1 or 3.2 along with
WIN/386 TCP/IP software and 386 NI software on a 6386 computer, you must
have one of the following StarLAN 10 Network NAU hardware:

1. EN100 NAU

2. PC NAU

The 386 NI software provides the software interface between TCP/IP WIN/386
software and the StarLAN 10 Network NAU hardware on the 6386 computer. This
interface is included in the WIN/386 TCP/IP package. "

The PEC CODE (Order Code) for the product is 1274-TH1. Comcode 106019185
for 3.5" disks and Comcode 106019177 for 5.25" disks. Th price is $495.00.

I suspect the difference is Woolongong supplies "WIN/386" while AT&T
supplies "Enhanced WIN/386", the "Enhanced" may be the streams drivers
for the EN100 - but don't quote me on it.

NFS for the Enhanced WIN/386 V.3 is a seperate product. It's called
"NFS Release 1.1 for the 6386, it requires either an EN100 NAU or
PC NAU and Enhanced WIN/386 V.3. The PEC Code is 1274-NA1 and has a
price of $395.00

Hope this helps.

john_robert_breeden@cup.portal.com