[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Use Domain In Hostname Or Not?

scs@iti.org (Steve Simmons) (02/15/90)

Over the years I've noticed that most folks set the hostname to the
fully qualified domain name.  We've always made them simple hostnames,
then relied on proper sendmail.cfs, etc, to add our domain as
appropriate.  Recently we've bumped into some vendor software bugs for
which the workaround is to make hostname == FQDN.  The vendor agrees
their performance isn't correct, but we're not likely to see a real fix
in the next couple of days.  We're loathe to do things different on
'just one machine', and would prefer consistancy.  I'm interested in
any and all comments on why or why not to set hostname to FQDN.

keith@spider.co.uk (Keith Mitchell) (02/21/90)

 scs%itivax%ox.com%umich%mailrus%cs.utexas.edu@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
 (Steve Simmons) writes:

"... I'm interested in any and all comments on why or why not to set
hostname to FQDN...."    (FQDN = Fully Qualified Domain Name)

This is something I have found a bone of contention for a while.  In
theory it shouldn't make any difference if you are running BIND, as
the "domain" directive in /etc/resolv.conf (or /etc/named.boot ?)
should tack it on to any unqualified hostnames you enter. I think the
principle of always using FQDNs is a good one, provided you can have
this short-cut for user input. Naive users certainly don't want to
know about domains.

In practice, however, the implementations are never quite up to it.
For example:

- rshd does not appear to pick up the default domain as above.  So
you have to put a fully qualified name into your ".rhosts" or
"hosts.equiv" even if you're normally used to just the short name.
Ultrix V3 & SCO TCP/IP do this, but Excelan EXOS software gets it
right, and MIPS RISC/os 4.0 has a work-around.

- Some sendmails use the resolver library so that the "$w" (ie this
host's name) macro gets set to the FQDN, others just the basename.
This can lead to delightful behaviour such as:
"HELO redknee.spider.co.uk.spider.co.uk" if the sendmail.cf isn't
smart to it - I have yet to fix mine to get this right.  Here,
Ultrix gets it right, and RISC/os and SCO get it wrong.

Your comment "The vendor agrees their performance isn't correct.."
intrigues me, as in the face of the above diverse behaviour I'm
confused as to what the correct behaviour IS.  If anyone can throw
light on this, or what resolver calls are involved that produce the
above behaviour, I would be very keen to more. We would like to have
consistency in our sendmail.cf files, too.

Other FQDN problems I can think of would be clashes with Yellow
Pages, and the fact (minor one, this) that the domain qualification
can cause visual clutter in for example, "netstat" output. A output
option of "don't qualify hostnames" might be a nice way round this.
(Or how about "only qualify if it's not the local domain" ?)

Anyone else have experience of these ones ?

Keith Mitchell

Spider Systems Ltd.             Spider Systems Inc.
Spider Park    		        12 New England Executive Park
Stanwell Street                 Burlington
Edinburgh, Scotland             MA 01803
+44 31-554 9424                 +1 (617) 270-3510

keith@spider.co.uk              keith%spider.co.uk@uunet.uu.net
...!uunet!ukc!spider!keith      keith%uk.co.spider@ukc.ac.uk

scs@VAX3.ITI.ORG (Steve Simmons) (02/23/90)

> scs%itivax%ox.com%umich%mailrus%cs.utexas.edu@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
> (Steve Simmons) writes:
>
>"... I'm interested in any and all comments on why or why not to set
>hostname to FQDN...."    (FQDN = Fully Qualified Domain Name)
 . . .
>In practice, however, the implementations are never quite up to it.
>For example: . . .

>Your comment "The vendor agrees their performance isn't correct.."
>intrigues me, as in the face of the above diverse behaviour I'm
>confused as to what the correct behaviour IS.  If anyone can throw
>light on this, or what resolver calls are involved that produce the
>above behaviour, I would be very keen to more.

In this vendors case, we can make the system hang 100% reliably by
using unqualified names in the right circumstances.  The workarounds
(which do work, thank god!) require going 180 degrees to the vendors
and UCBs bind documentation on some points.  The vendor agrees the
documentation is correct, the performance incorrect.

To summarize the responses to my original item:

Almost everyone said we should go to FQDNs even though they were not
strictly required; the remainder claimed they were strictly required.
This requires rebuilding our sendmail.cfs :-( our news files :-( our
hosts files :-( our host.equiv files :-( . . . well, you get the idea.

In addition, there is one *major* problem with this: many
implementations allow a very limited size for the host name -- twelve
and sixteen characters are the sizes most often cited.  We have some of
these systems in-house, mercifully we also have short fqdns on almost
all systems (foo.iti.org).

The problems we have with unqualified host names seem to be surfacing
because so few sites use them in a true DNS enviroment.  As such, the
software for lots of packages has never been as thoroughly exercised in
this area and we are the 'first discoverers' of bugs (remember the
early days of intermixing YP and DNS?  That uncovered a lot of
previously unknown bugs).  Since many of our systems are from
proprietary vendors, we've decided to bite the bullet, make the changes
to all the things above, and get in step with the rest of the world.
Many thanks to all for the advice.

Steve

owen@DG-RTP.DG.COM (Karl Owen) (02/23/90)

> From: Steve Simmons <scs@vax3.iti.org>
> Subject: Re: Use Domain In Hostname Or Not?
> To: keith@spider.co.uk (Keith Mitchell)
> Date: Thu, 22 Feb 90 12:58:19 EDT
> Cc: scs@itivax.iti.org, tcp-ip@nic.ddn.mil, bind@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU
>
> > scs%itivax%ox.com%umich%mailrus%cs.utexas.edu@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu
> > (Steve Simmons) writes:
> >
> >"... I'm interested in any and all comments on why or why not to set
> >hostname to FQDN...."    (FQDN = Fully Qualified Domain Name)
>  . . .
>
> To summarize the responses to my original item:
>
> Almost everyone said we should go to FQDNs even though they were not
> strictly required; the remainder claimed they were strictly required.
> This requires rebuilding our sendmail.cfs :-( our news files :-( our
> hosts files :-( our host.equiv files :-( . . . well, you get the idea.

I'm not sure that I agree with this.  We should be able to live with
unqualified names as shortcuts.  The burden belongs on the systems
implementors, not on the users.

For example, a simple library routine can be used to strip most of the
clutter from netstat and to allow rshd and rlogind to recognize local
parts of domain names.  The routine looks up the domain part of the FQDN
by doing a gethostbyname() on the result of gethostname().  It can then
compare the domain part to the domain part of any FQDN and strip the
domain part if appropriate.

Karl

--

	Karl M. Owen			owen@dg-rtp.dg.com
	Data General, RTP, NC		...!mcnc!rti!xyzzy!owen

vcerf@NRI.RESTON.VA.US (03/02/90)

I suggest that the important rule to follow is that any
mail you export from a local domain which goes out on
the Internet always bear a fully qualified domain name
on all addressees. What you do with message copies internally
is your business, but we need fully qualified names on anything
flowing to the rest of the world.

Vint Cerf