[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] IBM MVS TCP/IP problems

RUBINM@YKTVMV.BITNET ("Bill Rubin") (03/14/90)

Apologies if this is a duplicate message, I believe it was rejected
when I tried yesterday, the cryptic message was not particularly clear.

gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin (Kevin Kleinfelter) writes:

>frank@ctycal.UUCP (Frank Lok) writes:
>
>>We are in the process of installing IBM's MVS TCP/IP.  We have discovered
>>that the `hosts' file has a record length of 285 characters.  Upon
>>attempting to edit this file to add host id's, we are unable to do so
>>due to the record length.  Does anyone know how we are expected to
>>edit the file.  Attempts to get assistance from IBM have proved
>>unsuccessful to this point.
>
>It's a hack, but...
> Write a COBOL program (hey, it IS MVS!!!) that writes this file the way
> want it.
>
>Hack #2:
>  Create a version of the file that has a shorter record length, and
>  then use IEBGENER or IDCAMS (Access Method Services) to copy the
>  file.
>
>--
> Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
> gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin

The problem is that ISPF, the TSO editor, does not support lines of
greater than 255 characters.  The solution to this is to create a
version of the hosts file with lines of less than 256 characters.  This
can be done in the following way:  create a dataset with RECFM=VB,
LRECL=259 (255+4 bytes for the length fields).  Then use ISPF 3.3 to
copy the original hosts dataset to this new dataset.  You will get a
warning that the dataset attributes are incompatible, but you should
ignore this and allow the copy to continue.  You'll then end up with
an editable dataset.  The truncated data won't cause any problems for
the MVS TCP/IP product, because it only looks at the node names and
addresses, anyway, and they do not go that far out of the line.

By the way, there is a Bitnet mailing list dedicated to the IBM TCP/IP
products, IBMTCP-L@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU.  To subscribe, send mail to
LISTSERV@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU, with a line in the body of your mail
'SUBSCRIBE IBMTCP-L' followed by your name.  Please don't send requests
to IBMTCP-L-Request, it will only truncate the userid and send the
request to the whole list.

Bill Rubin
IBM TJ Watson Research
-------

louie@SAYSHELL.UMD.EDU ("Louis A. Mamakos") (03/19/90)

It seems to me that the correct way to solve this problem with long lines
in the host table is to just get rid of the host table and use the
domain name system instead.

louie

RUBINM@YKTVMV.BITNET ("Bill Rubin") (03/19/90)

"Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@sayshell.umd.edu> writes:

> It seems to me that the correct way to solve this problem with long lines
> in the host table is to just get rid of the host table and use the
> domain name system instead.
>
> louie

Absolutely!  And we do provide a name server with our MVS product.  But
we still support host tables for backup (except SMTP) and because some
people still prefer to use them.

Bill Rubin
IBM TJ Watson Research