[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] MX Records

philipp@GIPSI.GIPSI.FR (Philippe Prindeville) (03/16/90)

Is it time yet to decree that A records should not be used in
lieu of the MX records when delivering mail?  It would seem
that the "transition" period is well commenced, and it is
time to cut-over...

-Philip

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (Oberman, Kevin) (03/21/90)

In article <9003151416.AA13535@Gipsi.Gipsi.Fr>, philipp@GIPSI.GIPSI.FR (Philippe Prindeville) writes...
>Is it time yet to decree that A records should not be used in
>lieu of the MX records when delivering mail?  It would seem
>that the "transition" period is well commenced, and it is
>time to cut-over...

What exactly do you mean by "in lieu of MX records"? RFC-1123 does not talk
about any transition period. It only describes the sequence of DNS queries and
how they should be responded to. Certainly any mailer should make use of MX
records. But I have never seen any suggestion that some magic "transition" will
ever take place when A records will simply be ignored.

Or am I mis-understanding the point?

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

craig@NNSC.NSF.NET (Craig Partridge) (03/22/90)

> Is it time yet to decree that A records should not be used in
> lieu of the MX records when delivering mail?  It would seem
> that the "transition" period is well commenced, and it is
> time to cut-over...

Philip:

    Which of the following two cases are you proposing we stamp out?

    (1) Mailers that never look for MX RRs?  [I think these folks
    have plenty of incentive to fix this -- their mailers can't
    get certain places otherwise].

    (2) Mailers that follow RFC 974 and look for an A RR if an
    MX RR doesn't exist. [There are folks who say this is a convenient
    shorthand, that spares them the need to enter all those MX
    RRs when they aren't needed].

Craig

LARSON@CRVAX.SRI.COM (Alan Larson) (04/05/90)

Recently I wrote:
>> Suprisingly, it is a technical error for the MXer of highest preference
>> to not be the host itself.  This would result in an empty MX list after
>> removing irrelevant RRs in the MXer of highest preference.  This is an
>> error condition, although it is noted that "974 points out that "extremely
>> persistent mail systems might want to try a delivery to REMOTE's address..."

Michael Stein caught me for not stating one of my assumptions when he asked:

>What about the case where there are "non-internet" paths to
>the host from the MXer of highest preference?

Michael is quite correct in noting this.  RFC974 expects that the
MXer of highest preference (which it calls LOCAL) will know how to
deliver the mail without resorting to the domain name system.
My assumption was that the last hop to the final destintion host was
also a DNS resolved internet hop, which is clearly not always the case.

I have attached the relevant paragraph from RFC974 at the end of this
message for those who do not have a copy.

	Alan

   After removing irrelevant RRs, the list can again be empty.  This is
   now an error condition and can occur in several ways.  The simplest
   case is that the WKS queries have discovered that none of the hosts
   listed supports the mail service desired.  The message is thus deemed
   undeliverable, though extremely persistent mail systems might want to
   try a delivery to REMOTE's address (if it exists) before returning
   the message. Another, more dangerous, possibility is that the domain
   system believes that LOCAL is handling message for REMOTE, but the
   mailer on LOCAL is not set up to handle mail for REMOTE.  For
   example, if the domain system lists LOCAL as the only MX for REMOTE,
   LOCAL will delete all the entries in the list.  But LOCAL is
   presumably querying the domain system because it didn't know what to
   do with a message addressed to REMOTE. Clearly something is wrong.
   How a mailer chooses to handle these situations is to some extent
   implementation dependent, and is thus left to the implementor's
   discretion.

-------

LARSON@CRVAX.SRI.COM (Alan Larson) (04/07/90)

My apologies for accidently resending a quoted article, originally by
Christopher JS Vance.  His article ended with the comment:

  >When I specify both A and MX records for a name, I mean what I say...

By my reading of the RFC, things should behave as you described wanting.
I sense agreemenmt here.

	Alan
-------

WHITESID@McMaster.CA (Fred Whiteside) (04/09/90)

Christian Huitema <huitema@jerry.inria.fr> writes:

>  If the host has an A record, then the host is reachable directly via
>  the Internet. If one does not want to list that host as the MXer of
>  highest preference, it is probably that one does not want to receive
>  mail directly on that system, but rather feed the mail through some
>  "central" server. Indeed, there might be some good reasons for that,
>  like not wanting to receive mail directly on a PC.. BUT!!

        Invalid assumption. I have several machines which are directly
on the network that _cannot_ process SMTP (the two that spring to mind
are VMS vaxen with Bridge communications IVECS boards. These things
look like DMF's to the Vax and process the TCP Telnet on the board).
These machines want mail, but they *must* have it delivered via a
decnet channel. The MX forwarders for these machines understand this
so it all works.

>  Rather than prohibiting mailers to look at A records, Philip should
>  rather consider cleaning his own house, and not advertise the
>  addresses of PC or work stations as valid mail addresses!

        I can envision a scenario where I have seen an ftp connection
from some machine to my site and I want to send mail to
root@thatmachine for some logical reason. I reverse-lookup the IP
address and send mail to POSTMASTER@TheLooked-upAddress. The machine
may be a PC which won't handle inbound TCP connections and thus I
should have an MX record for the machine that points to a mailer that
Knows What To Do.

        The MX records are there for a good reason. Let's use them
properly. A records are host addresses. MX records are where you want
the mail delivered. It's quite simple.

-Fred Whiteside
 McMaster PostMaster, DNS Maintainer and Guy Who Worries About Such Things