[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] High Schools on the Internet

ccruss@pollux (Russ Hobby) (03/22/90)

During  the past six months UC Davis has been doing a joint project with
Pacific  Bell and the Davis High School  to see how high school students
can use the resources of the Internet. The connection to the high school
consists  of a 56k link and router  to tie their local AppleTalk network
to the Internet.

Some  of the uses have  been to tie into  various library card catalogs,
obtaining  online  information  on  programs  and  requirements  at some
colleges  and universities,  ftping software  from many  sites, and,  of
course, reading USENET. In all it has been very rewarding.

Now  the question:  Are there  any other  high schools  connected to the
Internet?  The Davis High students would like to share their experiences
with  other  high  school  students  and  find  out  if  there are other
resources  in which they  would be interested.  Perhaps we can  set up a
mail  list or newsgroup for discussions. I think that it would be a real
education  for  high  school  students  to  talk  to others in different
environments  and share some of lifes problems and solutions experienced
during  a particularly confusing  time in life.  (remember when you were
that age? ;-)

Russ
                                Russell Hobby
                         Data Communications Manager
     U. C. Davis
     Computing Services      INTERNET: rdhobby@ucdavis.edu
     Davis Ca 95616          BITNET:   RDHOBBY@UCDAVIS
     (916) 752-0236          UUCP:     ...!ucbvax!ucdavis!rdhobby

zrfp0128@AWSSN3.RUS.UNI-STUTTGART.DE (Joerg Hertzer) (04/06/90)

>Am I the only Luddite out here that thinks that High Schools should not be
>on the Internet?

I also am unlucky about that, but I think we should not forbid
any interested people to use the internet, but we should design more secure
network software.

Joerg Hertzer
Computer Center University Stuttgart
West Germany

steve@cise.nsf.gov (Stephen Wolff) (04/08/90)

> I imagine there are already a great number of bright young students using
> the Internet and USENET in one form or another, and I think that the current
> circumstances are even more dangerous than an "over the table" arrangement.
>
> If the schools involved understand the responsibilities that go along with
> the benefits, I don't see any reason to consider them guilty until proven
> innocent...

Amen.  -s

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (04/09/90)

In article <9004060906.AA00677@awssn3.rus.uni-stuttgart.de.>
(Joerg Hertzer) writes:
>quoting someone else without attribution:
>>Am I the only Luddite out here that thinks that High Schools should not be
>>on the Internet?
>
>I also am unlucky about that, but I think we should not forbid
>any interested people to use the internet, but we should design more secure
>network software.

	I would think that anyone using this medium would react to the
name Luddite's the way that a Jewish person might react to the term NAZI!
The anti-technology implications of Luddite are just as bad as the other.

	Followup to /dev/null.  I only get alt.flame when cross-posted.
--
Gregory G. Woodbury
Sysop/owner Wolves Den UNIX BBS, Durham NC

buzzard@eng.umd.edu (Sean Barrett) (04/11/90)

In article <1990Apr10.165031.10513@eng.umd.edu> buzzard@eng.umd.edu (Sean Barrett) writes:
>In article <1990Apr8.173455.7844@wolves.uucp> ggw@wolves.UUCP (Gregory G. Woodbury) writes:
>>	Followup to /dev/null.  I only get alt.flame when cross-posted.
>>Gregory G. Woodbury
>[censored]
Ok.  Let me apologize to everybody.  That posting was inappropriate to
this place, and totally immature.

Mine, I mean.

The corrected message text is as follows:

> Excuse me?  Please don't waste my time crossposting to alt.flame if
> you're not going to read alt.flame.  Directing followups to /dev/nul
> is not a particularily mature way of carrying on conversations.
>
> Although maybe (*maybe*) more mature than using certain combinations
> of characters which for cultural reasons are considered distasteful.

But seriously, I most humbly offer my apologies for wasting time and
bandwidth, and for offending anyone.  Please also to excuse the length
of this message, since it has naught to do with tcp-ip.

zrfp0128@AWSSN3.RUS.UNI-STUTTGART.DE (Joerg Hertzer) (04/11/90)

In an E-Mail on this list

wrote:

>In article <9004060906.AA00677@awssn3.rus.uni-stuttgart.de.>
>(Joerg Hertzer) writes:
>>quoting someone else without attribution:
>>>Am I the only Luddite out here that thinks that High Schools should not be
>>>on the Internet?
.
.
.
>	I would think that anyone using this medium would react to the
>name Luddite's the way that a Jewish person might react to the term NAZI!
>The anti-technology implications of Luddite are just as bad as the other.

Two remarks:

1. I quoted an E-Mail of
 	Greg Earle
	Sun Microsystems, Inc. - JPL on-site Software Support
	earle@poseur.JPL.NASA.GOV	(direct)
	earle@Sun.COM			(indirect)
   and wrote that in my E-Mail.

2. English is a foreign language to me. I have newer seen the word 'Luddite'
   before and cannot find it in my dictionaries.

Joerg Hertzer
Computer Center University Stuttgart
West Germany
zrfp0128@awssn3.rus.uni-stuttgart.de

Phone:
++ 49-0711-685-5803

zrfp0128@AWSSN3.RUS.UNI-STUTTGART.DE (Joerg Hertzer) (04/11/90)

Just now I sent an E-Mail with:
(about an elder one from me)

.
.
.
   I quoted an E-Mail of
 	Greg Earle
	Sun Microsystems, Inc. - JPL on-site Software Support
	earle@poseur.JPL.NASA.GOV	(direct)
	earle@Sun.COM			(indirect)
   and wrote that in my E-Mail.
.
.
.
Now I found two copies of that elder E-Mail on my disks.
One with and the other without that attribution.
Seems I sent the wrong one - Sorry!

Joerg Hertzer

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (04/13/90)

In article <9004110840.AA02224@awssn3.rus.uni-stuttgart.de.>
zrfp0128@AWSSN3.RUS.UNI-STUTTGART.DE (Joerg Hertzer) writes:
>In an E-Mail on this list
>
>Gregory G. Woodbury
>wrote:
>
>>In article <9004060906.AA00677@awssn3.rus.uni-stuttgart.de.>
>>(Joerg Hertzer) writes:
>>>quoting someone else without attribution:
>Two remarks:
>1. I quoted an E-Mail of
> 	Greg Earle
>	earle@poseur.JPL.NASA.GOV	(direct)
>	earle@Sun.COM			(indirect)
>   and wrote that in my E-Mail.

	Yes, my mention of without attribution referred to the way that
the included text was marked.  It was my fault for not properly preserving
the attributions.  The response is to Greg Earles posting, not yours.

>2. English is a foreign language to me. I have newer seen the word 'Luddite'
>   before and cannot find it in my dictionaries.
>Joerg Hertzer
>Computer Center University Stuttgart
>West Germany
>zrfp0128@awssn3.rus.uni-stuttgart.de
>Phone:
>++ 49-0711-685-5803

	The Luddites were an anti-technology terrorist movement in Great
Brittan and the United States during the Industrial Revolution era.  They
were objecting to the increasing automation and job displacement that the
introduction of steam powered engines and mechanical distribution systems
and power looms and other machinery entailed.
	They sabotoged machinery, rioted, destroyed machinery and the homes
of people they disagreed with in a reign of terror not too unlike some of
the riots that the US suffered in the late 1960's.  The distance of history
lets many people feel complacent about the use of the term Luddite.

	To apply the term Luddite to oneself or to imply that anyone
using this wonderful technology that we have access to could be a Luddite
was a little more than I could accept with equanimity.  A lot of high
school students that I know are a lot more mature and sophisticated than
a lot of the college students that I know.  The stereotyping of ALL high
school students with Mr. Earles broad brush is also an irresponsible act.

	In turn, I was irresponsible in posting the flame.  To keep it from
turning into an extended flame war, I directed the followups to /dev/null
(a unixism for nowhere) and cross-posted to alt.flame to alert the readers
that it was a flame.  It was a waste of the net bandwidth and I apologize
to you for mixing you up in it.  I apologize to the rest of the group for
their being subjected to further non-relevant discussion.

	In another article, someone (I think it was Sean Barrett) takes me
to task for the redirect and not reading alt.flame.  The redirect was intended
to cut off more flameage, and I read alt.flame (when I can get it - my feed
does not usually include it) but I figure that cross-posting to alt and
comp is generally rude. (Mea culpa, I was rude, but not crude.)
--
Gregory G. Woodbury @ The Wolves Den UNIX, Durham NC
UUCP: ...dukcds!wolves!ggw   ...mcnc!wolves!ggw           [use the maps!]