[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] rfc's by name, not by number

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (04/13/90)

I don't know about you, but I find it difficult to remember which RFC
is which when they all have numbers.  I mean hey, 959 doesn't mean
anything to me, but FTP does.  And quick, which number is Host
Requirements?

A number of sites collect RFCs and put them on-line for public access.
I've decided to do the same on "ftp.math.lsa.umich.edu", directory
pub/rfc.  But instead of collecting them by number these ones have
sensible names, i.e. "internet-numbers", "avian-carriers", "rip",
"ftp" etc.  When sensible I'll use names carried over from internet
drafts.

I would encourage other sites which carry RFC archives to do the same.

--Ed

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (04/13/90)

In emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
> instead of collecting them by number these ones have sensible names,
> i.e. "internet-numbers", "avian-carriers", "rip", "ftp" etc.

	Isn't that what index files are for?  Is it really that hard to
get the latest index file and grep for the subject you want?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Don't Worry, Be Happy"