[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Re. Wollongong TCP/IP

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (05/23/90)

In article <539@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM> syackey@secola.UUCP (steve yackey) writes:
>In article <3362@auspex.auspex.com> guy@auspex.auspex.com (Guy Harris) writes:
>>>If you want to see the best TCP/IP in its class, check out the TCP/IP
>>>on UNIX System Release V 4.0 on AT&T's 6386 WGS series of machines.
>>>It's Wollongong's.  And we're proud of it.
>>
>>So AT&T threw out the Lachman-based one they supply standard with S5R4
>>and supply a Woolongong-based release instead?
>
>no, when you buy 5.4 you get lachman tcp.
>when you buy a 6386, you get wollongong. for the 6386 at&t "upgraded" the tcp.

The SVr4 source package includes Lachman TCP/IP code.

Binary distributions for AT&T 3B (and probably 386 - haven't seen it) have
TWG binaries included.

On the 6386, the Micom/Interlan package we OEM'd  has been replaced with TWG.

						Bob Halloran
UUCP: att!mtune!rkh				Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "Remember, kids, if some weirdo in a blue suit offers you some DOS,
	   JUST SAY NO!!!"

aland@infmx.UUCP (Colonel Panic) (05/31/90)

In article <539@secola.Columbia.NCR.COM> syackey@secola.UUCP (steve yackey) writes:
>>So AT&T threw out the Lachman-based one they supply standard with S5R4
>>and supply a Woolongong-based release instead?
>
>no, when you buy 5.4 you get lachman tcp.
>when you buy a 6386, you get wollongong. for the 6386 at&t "upgraded" the tcp.

Uh, the 6386 definitely does not come with WIN/TCP automatically.  It
is an *option*, as is the Interlan solution.  You can get either
WIN/TCP 3.0 for StarLAN cards or a Racal Interlan s/w-card combo.

Note that AT&T's version of WIN/TCP is still 3.0.  Wollongong sells
3.1 themselves as the current release, and they include drivers for
a number of common ethernet cards (AT&T strips those out).  On my
6386s, I'm running Wollongong's own 3.1 version on WD cards because I have
to use interrupt 2 (=9), and WIN/TCP 3.0 doesn't handle that interrupt
properly...

--
Alan Denney # Informix # aland@informix.com # {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

 "These tests will have no effect on your grades.  They will merely
  determine your future social status and financial success, if any."