[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] uWave, IP, Video info

james@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jim Lowe) (06/05/90)

	Our local TV people are in the process of setting up a microwave link
here on campus.  They are looking at 23 Ghz systems.  I would like to be able
to add IP traffic to their setup.

	As I understand things, the 23 Ghz systems use a 10 Mhz bandwidth.
DC to 4.5 Mhz is used for the video signal.  They usually put the audio
signal at 6.2 Mhz with a 75 Khz deviation.  They also use 5.8 Mhz (not so
good of an audio channel due to synch buzz) and have second audio channels
at 6.8 and 7.5 Mhz.

	They said we could use one of the second audio channels to run
data on -- using modems at 56kbps.  Personally I would like to use T1 or T2
which should fit in the extra bandwidth.  Unfortunatly the manufacture (Macom)
doesn't offer any T1 capablility -- as far as we know.

	It seems that where we want to have data they want to have video and
visaversa.  It would be real nice if we could find a microwave system that
did video, audio, and at least one T1.

	If you have any experience with running data over microwave links
with video I would like to hear from you.  I would be interested in any
horror stories, actual setups that you are using, manufactures of equipment,
etc...

	Thanks,
		-Jim
		james@csd4.csd.uwm.edu

--
	- Jim
Internet: james@uwm.edu				Uucp:	   uwm!james

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (06/06/90)

In article <4297@uwm.edu>, james@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Jim Lowe) writes:

> 	Our local TV people are in the process of setting up a microwave link
> here on campus.  They are looking at 23 Ghz systems.  I would like to be able
> to add IP traffic to their setup.

> 	They said we could use one of the second audio channels to run
> data on -- using modems at 56kbps.  Personally I would like to use T1 or T2
> which should fit in the extra bandwidth.  Unfortunatly the manufacture
(Macom)
> doesn't offer any T1 capablility -- as far as we know.
>
> 	It seems that where we want to have data they want to have video and
> visaversa.  It would be real nice if we could find a microwave system that
> did video, audio, and at least one T1.

	It can be tough sharing bandwidth between two separate organizations.
But it is doable, since we have done it on a campus broadband system.

	Rather than try to shoehorn data into TV bandwidth, what if you got
separate service?  You could share the antenna (using dual feed), but then
you could get your own non-competing bandwidth for data.  The advantage is
that you could buy Ethernet-on-microwave gear and get 10Mbps for less
than the cost of T1.

	That way you wouldn't have to try to run your LAN service on
someone else's mux gear.  Keep it simple.  Since it is a private network,
you have no technical reason to adhere to telco standard interfaces.

	Kent England
	Boston University