[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] AT&T's RFS needs a TCP port number

thinman@cup.portal.com (Lance C Norskog) (06/05/90)

Dear Friends,

AT&T has their own file sharing protocol, called Remote File Sharing or RFS.
It is included (along with NFS) in UNIX V.4.

Since AT&T doesn't seem on the ball about registering an official TCP/IP
port number for RFS, how can we get this going?  We just went through a lot
of pain getting a customer's site set up with RFS over our TCP talking to
RFS over another TCP.  This protocol has been out for three years, and has
built a major installation base.  Not having an official TCP/IP port number
for it is an oversight that must be corrected.

Lance Norskog
Sales Engineer
Streamlined Networks
408-727-9909

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU (06/05/90)

Hi.

Port Numbers, Protocol Numbers, etc, are issued by the Internet Assigned
Numbers Authority (IANA).  See RFC-1060 for details, or e-mail to IANA@ISI.EDU.

--jon.

----- End Included Message -----

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (06/07/90)

In article <9006051605.AA28474@bel.isi.edu>, postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU writes:

> Since AT&T doesn't seem on the ball about registering an official TCP/IP
> port number for RFS, how can we get this going?

I've been informed that this is indeed in progress, and was even
before this posting.