[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] A proposal on "comp.protocols.migrate.to.iso"

yam@cbnewsi.att.com (toshihiko.yamakami) (06/08/90)

From article <NELSON.90Jun7130659@image.clarkson.edu>, by nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson):
> In article <4431@infmx.UUCP> kwang@infmx.UUCP (Kwang Sung) writes:
>
>    	If you are saying same words to Korea or Japan Government/Industries/
>    Universities, they are going to laugh.

I believe Japanese industries will not laugh.

> I just went into 'irc' (Interactive Relay Chat), and did a '/links' command.
> The hosts that are linked into irc are listed below.  Not only is Europe
> well represented, so is Japan.  Perhaps you're right about OSI, but when
> people want to internetwork today, they get on the Internet.

I agree with you.

I know Korean industries are growing rapidly, these days.
However, as far as Japan is concerned, our industries
are short of both of TCP/IP engineers and ISO engineers.
We need both.

'International standard' is a nice word, however, it is a long way
to beat industrial standards proven effective.

To be honest, I am just a user for TCP/IP, little knowledge about
its implemetation details.
However, I have some experiences with ISO application layers
as an employee of NTT, a Japan communication giant:
	MHS implementation and multi-vendor conformance,
	ISODE 5.0 experimental use,
	member of Japanese body of ISO JTC 1/SC 18/WG 4.

From my understandings, there are lots of things to be fixed in
ISO application layer.
Even with Application Layer Structure(ISO SC21) and
Distributed Office Application Model draft(ISO SC18),
application structeres are not so clear.
There are lots of conflicting issues in ISO and CCITT application
standardization activities.
Group communication is under discussion, however, not yet focused.

So Japanese industries cannot throw away Internet protocol suites
in next decade.
At least, I cannot imagine it.

-- yam
--
Toshihiko YAMAKAMI(NTT, Japan) Resident visitor in Bell Labs until Feb 1991
 Room 4G634, AT&T Bell Labs, Crawfords Corner Rd. Holmdel, NJ 07733-1988