[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] X Windows and TCP/IP on the Macintosh

stewart@xyplex.com (Bob Stewart) (06/07/90)

Dear Generous Suppliers of Free Advice,

I'm using NCSA Telnet on my Macintosh to talk to a Unix system so I can
communicate with the world.  It's connected through AppleTalk to a Gator Box.
I'd like to have a more direct connection for mail, FTP, etc., as well as
X Windows access.

We're looking into White Pine Software's eXodus, which implements X Windows
over a communication base such as Alisa Systems' TSS for DECnet or Apple's
MacTCP for the Internet.  I'd like to hear from people who've tried that or
who know anything interesting about it.  If I have MacTCP, can I run FTP,
Telnet, eXodus, and such just as if I was on a Real :-) System?  If so, can
they all run at once?  White Pine tells me that eXodus/MacTCP and NCSA Telnet
are mutually exclusive.  If anyone from Apple or White Pine cares to respond,
I won't consider it as a commercial message.

Thanks in advance for the help.

	Bob

-----------
Bob Stewart (rlstewart@eng.xyplex.com)
Xyplex, Boxborough, Massachusetts
(508) 264-9900

kdb@macaw.intercon.com (Kurt Baumann) (06/12/90)

In article <9006071808.AA08561@xap>, stewart@xyplex.com (Bob Stewart) writes:
> Dear Generous Suppliers of Free Advice,
>
> I'm using NCSA Telnet on my Macintosh to talk to a Unix system so I can
> communicate with the world.  It's connected through AppleTalk to a Gator Box.
> I'd like to have a more direct connection for mail, FTP, etc., as well as
> X Windows access.
>
> We're looking into White Pine Software's eXodus, which implements X Windows
> over a communication base such as Alisa Systems' TSS for DECnet or Apple's
> MacTCP for the Internet.  I'd like to hear from people who've tried that or
> who know anything interesting about it.  If I have MacTCP, can I run FTP,
> Telnet, eXodus, and such just as if I was on a Real :-) System?  If so, can
> they all run at once?  White Pine tells me that eXodus/MacTCP and NCSA Telnet
> are mutually exclusive.  If anyone from Apple or White Pine cares to respond,
> I won't consider it as a commercial message.

Here is the scoop.  If you are using NCSA Telnet with the builtin NCSA TCP/IP
stack, then you cannot also use anything that uses MacTCP.  If, however,
you either get a commercial product that uses MacTCP (like TCP/Connect II,
or the UB product) or you get the NCSA Telnet that uses MacTCP, then you
can use other programs that use MacTCP at the sametime.  As far as I am aware
there should be no problem in using eXodus with other MacTCP compatable
products.

Hope that helps.

Kurt Baumann--