[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] How about comp.internet?

curt@dtix.dt.navy.mil (Welch) (06/11/90)

In article <9006111226.AA04905@sayshell.umd.edu>,
louie@SAYSHELL.UMD.EDU (Louis A. Mamakos) writes:

>I remember when you could actually carry on a useful technical
>discussion on this mailing list.  You know, implementations issues and
>performance hack and the like.

>... Or maybe we could form a new mailing list dedicated to what the TCP-IP
>list used to be used for.  I realize now that the Internet protocol
>suite has been "discovered" by the trade rags, there are lots of users
>that need information.

I agree that there is a real need for both a general Internet news group
and a technical group.  However, I think the best solution would be
to move all the non technical discussions to a new newsgroup, and let
TCP-IP return to what it once was.

Why not create a new group (and mailing list) called comp.internet?

In general, comp.internet should be for the users and administrators of
the Internet and comp.protocols.tcp-ip should be for the developers of
TCP/IP hardware and software.

Curt Welch
curt@dtix.dt.navy.mil
David Taylor Research Center (A Navy Lab)
Bethesda, MD
(301) 227-1428

schoff@PSI.COM ("Martin Lee Schoffstall") (06/12/90)

Actually comp.internet would also serve an additional (smaller) purpose,
many of the Internet providers have newsgroups that are regional
in distribution that might be interested in posting to something
like:
	comp.internet.psinet
	comp.internet.nearnet
	comp.internet.nordunet
etc.....

Marty

In article <2225@nems.dt.navy.mil> curt@dtix.dt.navy.mil (Curt Welch) writes:
> I agree that there is a real need for both a general Internet news group
> and a technical group.  However, I think the best solution would be
> to move all the non technical discussions to a new newsgroup, and let
> TCP-IP return to what it once was.

Hear, hear. I read c.p.tcp-ip for tcp-ip information. We don't have any
interest in the Internet or Internet politics... we use tcp-ip internally
along with tp4, and could care less about the politics.
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180.  <peter@ficc.ferranti.com>
 'U`  Have you hugged your wolf today?  <peter@sugar.hackercorp.com>

rja7m@HAGAR2.ACC.VIRGINIA.EDU (rja7m) (06/13/90)

Let's try  comp.NET.internet instead since
it is a safe bet that other networks (e.g. BITNET/EARN)
might later also want such a group and it
is more flexible...

Ran
randall@virginia.edu