[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Growing sentiment against gateways

mouse@SHAMASH.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (der Mouse) (06/06/90)

> The problem is the absolute complete and total lack of any sort of
> security, trackability, or accountability in the netnews system that
> runs on usenet (uucp) and over nntp.  The problem is that most of the
> Internet mailing lists have been "gatewayed" to netnews mailgroups.

Not really.  I could generate a letter here which appeared to come from
anyone I chose; the same lack of accountability has always existed on
the Internet too.  I think the reason the Internet hasn't suffered as
much is threefold: (a) it's somewhat more difficult to fake stuff on
the Internet, (b) it's less like the "bulletin board" atmosphere that
seems to breed twits like BIFF than usenet is, and (c) it costs more to
connect to the Internet (IMO this is probably the strongest of the
three).

> I'd rather the "gateways" be made one way (out from Internet only),
> or even non-existent.

About all I can say is, start your own mailing list.  If enough people
agree with you, it'll catch on.  (If nobody agrees with you, there's
not much chance of getting your way in any event.)

> (One could argue that those "gateways" violate the access rules for
> the Internet, since they cannot verify that the message came from an
> authorized user of the Internet.)

You mean there *are* access rules for the modern Internet?  This sounds
suspiciously as though you're thinking of the DARPA rules, which (it
seems to me) don't really apply, with the demise of the ARPAnet core.

> I realize that this would deny netnews/uucp only sites access to the
> Internet mailing lists, but if their umbrella organization (usenet)
> cannot maintain professional standards of behavior, then that is
> their loss.  By implementing a system without accountability, they
> create that risk.

There is no umbrella organization to usenet.  (This is at once one of
its great weaknesses and one of its great strengths.)  I wouldn't worry
about denying them access; most to all Internet mailing lists are
perfectly happy to subscribe addresses which happen to be on uucp-only
machines - I read sf-lovers that way myself for a while, back when I
had no other way.

> Another problem due to "gatewaying" has been consistent recurring
> problems with mail loops through netnews.

And I've seen plenty of mail white-holes on the Internet.  Proves
nothing.

> I (and others) would welcome netnews being made properly accountable
> and secure.  However, not building the Received: lines may make
> netnews more efficient, but this removes all vestiges of
> accountability.  This is a key problem.

Again, I can't say much but "if you find the game unacceptable then
don't play".  If you find netnews unacceptable, don't use it.  If you
can't stand the gatewaying of netnews into (say) the tcp-ip list, then
unsubscribe.  "But there's all that useful information!"  Yes.  But it
amounts to saying that there's useful information in a forum you find
intolerable, and all I can say is "too bad"....

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

kmeyer@pollux.usc.edu (Kraig Meyer) (06/08/90)

In article <9006060613.AA00673@shamash.McRCIM.McGill.EDU> mouse@SHAMASH.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (der Mouse) writes:
||You mean there *are* access rules for the modern Internet?  This sounds
||suspiciously as though you're thinking of the DARPA rules, which (it
||seems to me) don't really apply, with the demise of the ARPAnet core.

Most, if not all, of the regional networks attached to the NSFnet backbone
have appropriate usage guidelines.  Traffic which is solely for commercial
purposes is prohibited from traversing the NSFNet backbone--there are most
definitely rules which govern Internet access.  However, in the case of
gatewaying the tcp-ip mailing list to and from usenet I think it could very
easily be argued that this fits appropriate usage guidelines.
| Kraig R. Meyer		   		    kraig@jerico.usc.edu  |
| University of Southern California                          Los Angeles  |

escher@Apple.COM (Michael Crawford) (06/14/90)

In article <25174@usc.edu> kmeyer@pollus.usc.edu writes:

>Most, if not all, of the regional networks attached to the NSFnet backbone
>have appropriate usage guidelines.  Traffic which is solely for commercial
>purposes is prohibited from traversing the NSFNet backbone--there are most
>definitely rules which govern Internet access.  However, in the case of

I am curious how a commercial UUCP site would post to misc.jobs.offered,
and guarantee that their ad did not traverse the backbone.  Suppose
their upstream site was on UUCP, and so on for a few hops, and all these
commercial companies provide each other UUCP for commercial purposes.

It seems to me that it is absurd for a company to have to consider what
political requirements a distant network layer might have when posting
to the news.

Or consider this: suppose a company has a network that links itself and
its clients.  Suppose the company and the client each have an internet
connection, but the shortest-hop is to go over the internal network.

It is perfectly legitimate in this case that the company should bill its
client via SMTP mail.

Suppose the regional or the NSF backbone now installed a router that made the
hop count from accounts receivable to the client's account payable office
shorter than the hop count on the internal network.  Current protocols
will shortly send all the bills over the NSF backbone.

I am not advocating that the NSF or the regionals should provide free
communications services to companies, but really, there should be some
realistic thought on this.

Perhaps one could set a bit in the IP header that says this packet is
not "Used Appropriately", and NSF routers could drop such packets.  (Just
kidding).  What would be more reasonable is for the companies to pay
for the usage they actually incur on the net, in some manner that is
simple and manageable.

--
Michael D. Crawford
Oddball Enterprises		Consulting for Apple Computer Inc.

		alias make '/bin/make & rn'