[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Ethernet2 and IEEE 802.3

oberman@ROGUE.LLNL.GOV (06/16/90)

In article <9006152010.AA15384@gateway.mitre.org>, hal@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (Hal Feinstein) writes:

> I've been trying to resolve if
> Ethernet2 can interoperate with
> (be on the same cable, talk together) a IEEE 802.3
> at the *physical layer*.  I've asked
> [Text deleted]

3 is correct. There is a difference between SQE and heartbeat, but those are
really specific to transceivers, not the media. In any case, they certainly do
operate on the same cable.

I understand that interoperation on a common physical layer was a requirement
for the 802 committee.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

hal@cup.portal.COM (06/17/90)

I've been trying to resolve if
Ethernet2 can interoperate with
(be on the same cable, talk together) a IEEE 802.3
at the *physical layer*.  I've asked
a number of knowledgeable folk and, while these
discussions were useful, I was left with a range
of answers.  I figure the question
can't be that hard and someone must have already
been through this. Roughly, I got these answers:

(1) NO. Both Ethernet2 and IEEE802.3
can use the same LAN cable system BUT, they cannot
talk (communicate) with each other at the physical layer.

(2) MAYBE. Both (Ethernet2 and IEEE802.3) are very *very*
close (at the physical layer) and maybe functionally
equivalent.  They SHOULD be above to interoperate and
coexist on the same cable.

(3) YES. Of course they can. They are a little different
(IEEE802.3 physical layer has a heartbeat and one or two
optional signals) but YES, they can interoperate and
coexist on the same cable.

Are any of these the correct answer? SUN seems
to support both physical layers from a single interface. So
I assume that (3) is correct. Am I right?