[net.jobs] Is your personal life sacrosanct?

bandy@lll-lcc.UUcp (Andrew Scott Beals) (03/07/86)

In article <358@uwai.UUCP> luner@uwai.UUCP (David L. Luner) writes:
>In article <172@lll-lcc.UUcp>, I write:
u>> ... article on "lie detectors". They have a short section of tips
>> on how to beat them.
>
>I spent a very comfortable 1 hour in a chair one day answering numerous
>questions about my past actions, habits and loyalties.

"[Question... Question... Question...] Are you still beating your wife?!?"

If the interviewer phrases the question correctly and gets the other
elements of the theatre right, they can get any response they want
out of you. Of course, this doesn't matter much during an interview,
but later on...

>Companies (e.g. The Company) may had a clearly legitimate reseon for
>their inquiries.

Yes, and it's always the clean-cut straight-arrow types that are
caught spying too... (eg Walker&family, Chin(?), ...)

>3. For (highly) classified positions, you better plan on sticking to
>   Jim Beam in the future.

That's right, alcohol is harmless but one puff on a joint and you're
HOOKED FOREVER! (go see "Reefer Madness")

Oh yes, I nearly forgot Valium, a legal and addicting drug.

"Why can't you be like normal people and take a valium?!" -from
Desperately Seeking Susan

>> What business does your employer have telling you what to do and
>> what not to do in your off-hours?
>
>Participation in illegal activities is grounds for "justified" dismissal.
>The exact definition of "illegal" would (I hope) ultimately be determined
>by the court. I suspect that CONVICTION for a felony is sufficient.
>		David Luner

Whoa, getting convicted of a felony is a lot different than having
your employer come up to you and say: "We would like very much for
you to give us a urine sample. You do not have to do it, but if you
don't, we'll find some other reason for dismissing you."

Where do you draw the line as to how far into your PERSONAL life
that your employer may look? Should they be able to look at your
medical records? Should they be able to look at your psychiatric
records? Should they be able to riffle through your car when you go
park in the company lot? ("Gotta check for bombs!")
--
I'm PROUD to be a CARBON-BASED lifeform!

andy beals
bandy@lll-crg.arpa	{ihnp4,seismo,ll-xn,qantel,sun}!lll-crg!bandy
LLNL, P.O. Box 808, L-419, Livermore CA 94550 (415) 423-1948