[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Mourning of the passing of the ARPANET

medin@NSIPO.NASA.GOV ("Milo S. Medin", NASA ARC NSI Project Office) (06/07/90)

Folks, it appears that the ARPANET has quietly passed away into the annals
of network history.  June 1 was the official cut off date I believe, and I
did some traceroute's to a net 10 host and not even the DDN Core knew
about a route to net 10!  Not even the Mailbridge at BBN in Cambridge.

Script started on Thu Jun  7 01:11:44 1990
cincsac [37]: traceroute -g moffett-fld-mb.ddn.mil 10.0.0.51
traceroute to 10.0.0.51 (10.0.0.51), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
 1  arc-nas-gw (128.102.16.5)  0 ms  0 ms  0 ms
 2  arc-psn-gw (192.52.195.6)  20 ms  0 ms  20 ms
 3  MOFFETT-FLD-MB.DDN.MIL (26.20.0.16)  60 ms  80 ms  60 ms
 4  MOFFETT-FLD-MB.DDN.MIL (26.20.0.16)  60 ms !N  40 ms !N  60 ms !N
cincsac [38]: traceroute -g cambridge-mb.ddn.mil 10.0.0.51
traceroute to 10.0.0.51 (10.0.0.51), 30 hops max, 38 byte packets
 1  arc-nas-gw (128.102.16.5)  20 ms  20 ms  0 ms
 2  arc-psn-gw (192.52.195.6)  0 ms  20 ms  0 ms
 3  CAMBRIDGE-MB.DDN.MIL (26.1.0.49)  560 ms  500 ms  640 ms
 4  CAMBRIDGE-MB.DDN.MIL (26.1.0.49)  580 ms !N  480 ms !N  480 ms !N
cincsac [39]: exit
exit

script done on Thu Jun  7 01:12:36 1990

Perhaps a moment of silence is in order...

						Thanks,
						   Milo

PS For those of you not familiar with traceroute, the first shows BMILAMES
sending back a network unreachable message for net 10, and the latter is a
net unreachable from a gateway at BBN.  The -g option specifies a source
route through the MILNET gateway.  NSFNET doesn't know about it either...

louie@SAYSHELL.UMD.EDU (Louis A. Mamakos) (06/09/90)

Milo,

If I'm not mistaken, the last production PSN on the ARPANET is/was PSN #17
at the University of Maryland.  It was but a shell of a network before its
time had come.. the only connection being an IST to the Princeton PSN, with
no host ports still in use.  A network with no user ports.

I had the honor/pleasure of turning off the power switch myself just a few
days ago..

louie

>Folks, it appears that the ARPANET has quietly passed away into the annals
>of network history.  June 1 was the official cut off date I believe, and I
>did some traceroute's to a net 10 host and not even the DDN Core knew
>about a route to net 10!  Not even the Mailbridge at BBN in Cambridge.

hwb@MERIT.EDU (Hans-Werner Braun) (06/09/90)

Milo:

There is no need to be mourning. (D)ARPA did a great service to the networking
community over the last many years in developing and providing a research
facility that emerged into operational infrastructure. Many spinoffs were
created, both in the government (including your NASA Science Network) as
well as other places, including internationally. As we all know, DARPA is
still continuing to do network research, that should yield further results
and benefits to the networking community. There have never been more users
and equipment using technology developed for the ARPANET than there are today.
The ideas, the spirit and the technological thrust of the ARPANET is surviving
in its children. At DARPA and elsewhere.

	-- Hans-Werner

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (06/09/90)

A few of us are sorta planning to hold a wake for the Arpanet at Usenix
next week.  We just haven't found the proper bar yet.
	- Brian

swb@DAINICHI.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Scott Brim) (06/10/90)

So are we going to follow through with the idea of running Net 10 in the
Boston Computer Museum (hooked up to the Internet) or not??

jrr@scamp.concert.net (Joe Ragland) (06/10/90)

In article <9006101018.AA04161@chumley.TN.Cornell.EDU> swb@DAINICHI.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Scott Brim) writes:
>So are we going to follow through with the idea of running Net 10 in the
>Boston Computer Museum (hooked up to the Internet) or not??

Gee Scott, that's sorta close to the water's edge.  A few ICMP redirects
and ole net 10 might just slide into Boston Harbor (that's "haba" to the
natives).

Actually, sounds like a great idea to me.

--joe

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (06/11/90)

	From: Scott Brim <swb@dainichi.tn.cornell.edu>

	So are we going to follow through with the idea of running Net 10 in
	the Boston Computer Museum (hooked up to the Internet) or not??

I don't know how receptive they'd be, or what their criteria for
noteworthy hardware is - when MIT shut down the last of the ITS 10s
(actually 2020s) last month, I was listening to someone there talk
about trying to give MC (KL10) to the museum, and being told "we
wouldn't mind having the front panel".  MC went to Sweden (a student
computer club in ?Malmo?), where I believe it is running again.

If they are interested, MIT is presently looking for a home for 10.2.0.6,
among others (10.0.0.44 is gone), but if they aren't, maybe we should
try to get ARPA to give two or three IMPs to the Swedish hackers...

James B. VanBokkelen				FTP Software Inc.
jbvb@ftp.com					617-246-0900

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (06/12/90)

In article <9006101018.AA04161@chumley.TN.Cornell.EDU>,
swb@DAINICHI.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Scott Brim) writes:
> So are we going to follow through with the idea of running Net 10 in the
> Boston Computer Museum (hooked up to the Internet) or not??

	I think it is a great idea.  If you know a contact there, I would
talk to them.

	But if that doesn't pan out, it shouldn't be too hard to create a
net 10 routing loop inside BBN somewhere.  I think an occasional ping packet
would feel right at home wandering around inside 10 Moulton Street somewhere.
:-)  Does that seem appropriately respectful?  (Certainly no disrespect
intended to BBN.)

	--Kent England, Boston University

mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) (06/12/90)

Maybe we could get three systems and have one set-up as "cambridge-mb", one as
"reston-mb", and one as "moffett-mb".  We could then have a perpetual trace-
route running with constant redirects between Cambridge and Reston with Moffett
as the, occassional, side-line judge.

Those on the ARPA side may not appreciate the humour of the last days of this
net as seen from the MILNET side--unfortunately one has attendency to remember
the wierd or worst events.

Merton

CSYSMAS@OAC.UCLA.EDU (Michael Stein) (06/12/90)

Net 10 is a class A network number.  As we run out of network
numbers someone is going to need it, don't stick it in some
museum.  I'm sure that if anyone asked there would be lots
of volunteers who could turn in several class B network numbers...

don@USNA.NAVY.MIL ("Don Garner ", CADIG STAFF) (06/13/90)

Are there no comments on what it means to lose ARPANET?

haverty@BBN.COM (Jack Haverty) (06/13/90)

Perhaps instead of retiring #10 to a museum, we could have a ceremony
at Interop where the number is officially "retired", and a banner hoisted
to the ceiling - anybody volunteer to make a banner out of fishnet?
Then net 10 could be assigned to be used to create a bunch of class B
numbers for aspiring neonetworks who want to follow in the Arpanet's
footsteps (yes I know that's technically difficult).

Jack

Dan Lynch - are you listening....

wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) (06/14/90)

CSYSMAS@OAC.UCLA.EDU (Michael Stein) writes:

>Net 10 is a class A network number.  As we run out of network
>numbers someone is going to need it, don't stick it in some
>museum.

Oh, come now. Nobody's big enough to need a class A network. Entities
that have class A networks now didn't get them because they've got big
networks; they got them for political reasons. MIT and Stanford were
big with DARPA. MERIT runs NSFNET. It'll be a long, long time before
anyone with a class A net manages to accumulate sixteen million hosts.

Bill Wisner <wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> Gryphon Gang Fairbanks AK 99775
Any member introducing a dog into the Society's premises shall be liable to
a fine of one pound. Any animal leading a blind person shall be deemed to be
a cat. -- Rule 46, Oxford Union Society, London

kasten@europa.interlan.COM (Frank Kastenholz) (06/14/90)

 > From tcp-ip-RELAY@NIC.DDN.MIL Thu Jun 14 08:37:24 1990
 > From: Jack Haverty <haverty@BBN.Com>
 > Subject: Re: Mourning of the passing of the ARPANET
 > To: CSYSMAS@oac.ucla.edu
 > Cc: haverty@BBN.Com, tcp-ip@nic.ddn.mil
 >
 > Perhaps instead of retiring #10 to a museum, we could have a ceremony
 > at Interop where the number is officially "retired", and a banner hoisted
 > to the ceiling - anybody volunteer to make a banner out of fishnet?
 > Then net 10 could be assigned to be used to create a bunch of class B
 > numbers for aspiring neonetworks who want to follow in the Arpanet's
 > footsteps (yes I know that's technically difficult).
 >
 > Jack
 >
 > Dan Lynch - are you listening....

How about officially assigning NET 10 to Interop - then it could be brought out
of retirement each year for all of the newcomers to look at - sort of like
the IMP last year. Maybe during the "off season" Interop could keep 2 PC's
running in a backroom on some Ethernet, pinging each other - on NET 10.

Frank Kastenholz
Racal Interlan

hwb@MERIT.EDU (Hans-Werner Braun) (06/14/90)

>Oh, come now. Nobody's big enough to need a class A network. Entities
>that have class A networks now didn't get them because they've got big
>networks; they got them for political reasons. MIT and Stanford were
>big with DARPA. MERIT runs NSFNET. It'll be a long, long time before
>anyone with a class A net manages to accumulate sixteen million hosts.

Your comment is misleading. Merit had a class A network number long
before we had to do with NSFNET. The NSFNET backbone itself uses a Class B
network number. The reason why Merit has a network number was exclusively
on grounds of mapping addresses to the probably 200 or so packet switching
nodes that Merit had in that state of Michigan at that time (now much
more than 200). Potentially all those nodes map to what Merit calls
"hosts" and those (several different) hosts can map to many "ports."
Took Jon Postel and me quite a while to "fight" this out at that time.
It was not possible to fit this into a Class B space.

	-- Hans-Werner

steve@cise.nsf.gov (Stephen Wolff) (06/15/90)

> Oh, come now. Nobody's big enough to need a class A network. Entities
> that have class A networks now didn't get them because they've got big
> networks; they got them for political reasons. MIT and Stanford were
> big with DARPA. MERIT runs NSFNET.

Merit had net 35 a long time before there was an NSFNET.  Don't forget that
the Merit Computer Network grew up contemporaneously with the ARPANET - and
seems likely to outlast it by some time.  -s

kmeyer@wrl.dec.com (Kraig Meyer) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun14.082236.16832@hayes.fai.alaska.edu> wisner@hayes.fai.alaska.edu (Bill Wisner) writes:
||Oh, come now. Nobody's big enough to need a class A network. Entities
||that have class A networks now didn't get them because they've got big
||networks; they got them for political reasons. MIT and Stanford were
||big with DARPA. MERIT runs NSFNET.

For the record, Merit had its class A net number long before it had
even considered running NSFnet.  The network number Merit got for NSFnet
was a class B net number.

Kraig Meyer                                                kmeyer@wrl.dec.com
On parole from the University of Southern California.     All views expressed
are my own and may or may not be the same as those of Digital Equipment Corp.

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (06/15/90)

In article <1990Jun14.212630.26295@wrl.dec.com> kmeyer@wrl.dec.com (Kraig Meyer) writes:

   For the record, Merit had its class A net number long before it had
   even considered running NSFnet.  The network number Merit got for NSFnet
   was a class B net number.

it's also a bit ironic that Merit schools are going to get off of the
class A net number and onto their own class B net(s), at least for
the parts of Merit which will no longer be behind the PDP-11 based
backbone structure (the design which required the class A net in
the first place).   such a shame, I just printed up my Network 35
ID card....

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
"i hear pdp-11's make good flowerpots"

lefty@OBELIX.TWG.COM (06/15/90)

In <90Jun13.100238edt.190@staff.ecs.usna.navy.mil>, "Don Garner (CADIG STAFF)
" <don@usna.navy.mil> writes:

> Are there no comments on what it means to lose ARPANET?

"Live in the future; it starting now."

|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|
|           David N. Schlesinger || "When I have nothing to say,       |
|           The Wollongong Group ||  my lips are sealed;               |
| Internet: Lefty@twg.com        ||  say something once,               |
| POTS:     415/962-7219         ||  why say it again?" -- David Byrne |
|<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>|

Just for interest sake... would someone on the Internet like to post a list of
the other class A networks. Before any more of them disappear.

I realise it's not likely to be useful to us folks in our little TCP-IP
islands, but what the hell...
--
Peter da Silva.   `-_-'
+1 713 274 5180.

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (06/15/90)

In article <9006141247.AA10456@europa.Com>, kasten@europa.interlan.COM (Frank Kastenholz) writes:
> How about officially assigning NET 10 to Interop - then it could be brought out
> of retirement each year for all of the newcomers to look at - sort of like
> the IMP last year.

Great idea, but make it operational.  After all, the conference net
needs a number; call it net 10, and all the private nets can be subnets
of it.

		--Steve Bellovin

jrr@scamp.concert.net (Joe Ragland) (06/15/90)

(Frank Kastenholz) writes:
|> How about officially assigning NET 10 to Interop - then it could be
brought out
|> of retirement each year for all of the newcomers to look at - sort of like
|> the IMP last year.

Yea, maybe in good ham radio DXpedition style,  Dan Lynch could issue a
certificate for exchanging mail with a net 10 host at Interop?

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (06/15/90)

	How about officially assigning NET 10 to Interop - then it
	could be brought out of retirement each year for all of the newcomers
	to look at - sort of like the IMP last year.....

	Frank Kastenholz

This is an excellent hack!  I'll second it...

jbvb

merlyn@iwarp.intel.com (Randal Schwartz) (06/16/90)

In article <43957@ism780c.isc.com>, johnan@mchale (John Antypas) writes:
| A nice idea, but with all of the talk about address spacing becoming
| hard to find, the idea of re-using 10 as a Class A, or splitting it into
| 256 class B's needs to be considered.  That's a lot of new customers
| for Internet.  Consider that net is over 65535 class C spaces!  Do we
| want to give Interop 16x10^6 addresses!

Finding 65535 class C-type customers that all wanted to have their
nets adjacent and one naming authority is a bit much.  There isn't any
way in the current software (pardon my ignorance if there is) to have
non-adjacent subnets.  You can only have "route to net 10" not "route
to 10.11.23", unless you happen to have interfaces that are current
net 10 subnets.

Just to throw my vote in the ring, I don't know who Interop is, but if
they had something to do with the early net, let'em have the number.
By the time we need the 126'th class A address, we'll be hurting in
other ways. :-)

Just another net hacker,
--
/=Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ==========\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Beaverton, Oregon, USA, Sol III      |

johnan@mchale.UUCP (06/16/90)

In article <9006141247.AA10456@europa.Com> kasten@europa.interlan.COM (Frank Kastenholz) writes:

>How about officially assigning NET 10 to Interop - then it could be brought out
>of retirement each year for all of the newcomers to look at - sort of like
>the IMP last year. Maybe during the "off season" Interop could keep 2 PC's
>running in a backroom on some Ethernet, pinging each other - on NET 10.

A nice idea, but with all of the talk about address spacing becoming
hard to find, the idea of re-using 10 as a Class A, or splitting it into
256 class B's needs to be considered.  That's a lot of new customers
for Internet.  Consider that net is over 65535 class C spaces!  Do we
want to give Interop 16x10^6 addresses!

John Antypas / Interactive Systems Corp.
uucp: ...!uunet!ism.isc.com!johnan    Internet: johnan@ism.isc.com
All statements above responsability of the author.

brian@cup.portal.COM (06/16/90)

We held the wake for net 10 at the Usenix conference, and toasted
it well.  We got well toasted ourselves.  A good time was had by all
reminiscing about all the old good times, fun, and hacks that were
inspired by the grandaddy network of them all.

Bye-bye Arpanet - it was swell!

	- Brian

mei_ssner@paperboy.UUCP (06/16/90)

In article <43957@ism780c.isc.com> johnan@mchale.ism.isc.com (John
Antypas) writes:

| In article <9006141247.AA10456@europa.Com> kasten@europa.interlan.COM (Frank Kastenholz) writes:
| >
| >How about officially assigning NET 10 to Interop - then it could be brought out
| >of retirement each year for all of the newcomers to look at - sort of like
| >the IMP last year. Maybe during the "off season" Interop could keep 2 PC's
| >running in a backroom on some Ethernet, pinging each other - on NET 10.
| >
| A nice idea, but with all of the talk about address spacing becoming
| hard to find, the idea of re-using 10 as a Class A, or splitting it into
| 256 class B's needs to be considered.  That's a lot of new customers
| for Internet.  Consider that net is over 65535 class C spaces!  Do we
| want to give Interop 16x10^6 addresses!

I suspect you will either have a massive flag day or lots of systems
that will refuse to talk to the proposed carved up addresses.  I
thought there were only ~30-40 class A networks, out of ~126 possible
class A network numbers.  I also seem to remember dimly that class E
network numbers which are not used, were mentioned as means of adding
massive new network numbers.
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Catproof is an oxymoron, Childproof is nearly so

news@intercon.UUCP (06/17/90)

In article <2339@speedy.mcnc.org>, jrr@scamp.concert.net (Joe Ragland) writes:
> Yea, maybe in good ham radio DXpedition style,  Dan Lynch could issue a
> certificate for exchanging mail with a net 10 host at Interop?

I'm beginning to like this idea more and more...

It could also be fun to give the show backbone routers "historically
significant" IMP names, so that you could do traceroutes and so on...

--
Amanda Walker, InterCon Systems Corporation
--

mcc@cup.portal.c.om (06/17/90)

With all of the ill-maintained systems in this world, would you want a net 10
number for your system?  Let it rest in peace until all other Class A numbers
have been assigned.

As for carving the net 10 address space into additional Class B and Class C
networks, what are the values of the high-order bits of net 10?  As an exer-
cise, explain how you would accomplish this task.  Give examples, if neces-
sary, of what changes you would propose.  If there are any cost impacts, please
identify those costs and provide a plan for recovery of those costs.

You have 2 hours to complete this examination.  Good luck!

Merton

J.Crowcroft@CS.UCL.AC.UK (06/27/90)

 >>>How about officially assigning NET 10 to Interop - then it could be brought out
 >the idea was to allow others to use it also. sort of a transiently connected
 >network. i am sure dan will correct me if i am incorrect.

 >possibly we should use net 89 instead of net 10 though . . . . . .  >

what about recycling net 4 (SATNET) since the bird no longer flies..
maybe RIPE could consider using it for europe...since most net 4 sites
were there...

 jon

barns@GATEWAY.MITRE.ORG (06/27/90)

I'll let someone else talk about net 89.  However, here is some history
on network numbers.

When IP was first conjured up, there was not a notion of class A/B/C
addresses.  At that time it was not generally thought that there would
be a huge number of networks, but rather a smaller number of possibly
large networks.  The 32 bit IP address was 8 bits Network, 24 bits Host.
"They" thought it would be a good idea to preallocate the network
numbers to all the significant networks (those that some Internet
participant might presumably join).  I seem to remember that there were
on the order of 20-30 networks identified and preassigned.  These
included TELENET, TYMNET, DATAPAC, etc.  There was a list and it can
probably be found in some ancient RFC.

A little while later "they" decided that preallocation was not such a
good idea and instead they would give out network numbers only to networks
that had EGP routing glue to The Internet.  Some of the already assigned
network numbers were deassigned because there was no connectivity and no
specific plan to achieve it.  It was also around this time that
the threat (or promise, depending on your point of view) of campus
nets, building nets, and random Ethernets became clearer, so classes
A, B, and C were invented, and the high order bit coding trick was used
to provide compatibility with the previously assigned network numbers
that were actually in use.  So there were a lot of holes in class A and
most of the new demand was in class C, for the random Ethernets.

Obviously the people who already had working networks didn't want to
change their addresses.  This is the main reason why some nets that don't
seem to be big enough to warrant class A addresses have them anyway.
Less obvious but also an issue - some sites had gateways that could not
conveniently be gotten to cope with the revised addressing plan.  I
think that Stanford was one such, but I don't remember the exact problem.
Bear in mind that gateways weren't off-the-shelf in those days.  (Neither
were hosts, sometimes.  Especially the networking interface hardware and
software.)

Subnets are more recent than all of these things, and multicast (class D)
addresses are yet more recent.  Class B became popular with the advent
of subnetting.

We probably don't have much call for class A network numbers nowadays,
but I can think of at least one possible source of demand.  When a
logical network uses end-to-end encryption devices, there are some
extra demands on the address space, such as wanting to be able to
address some sub-processors in the encryption box, and wanting to carry
the encryption domain identification in a subfield of the address.  To
put all of this (plus the host id) into 16 bits with fixed size subfields
would cramp the fields more than is nice.  Even 24 bits isn't vast, but
it's better.  DOD has net 21 for this purpose already; I don't know
whether others are or will be needed, but it's conceivable that they might.

Bill Barns / MITRE-Washington / barns@gateway.mitre.org

jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (06/28/90)

If we could hope to expunge all the Class A nets, we might be able to
redefine 127 class A nets as 32,000 new Class B nets in a future
HRRFC.  Given that we've actually used 2,500 out of the 16,000
possible, this might be worth adding to the enormous thrashing among
developers as the millenium approaches.  It would also legislate
away "net 89", and "127.0.0.1".

Presumably plenty of the 2 million possible class C nets remain
to be allocated...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (06/28/90)

In article <9006271746.AA07726@vax.ftp.com>,
jbvb@VAX.FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) writes:
> If we could hope to expunge all the Class A nets, we might be able to
> redefine 127 class A nets as 32,000 new Class B nets in a future
> HRRFC.

	32,000+ networks is a lot for a poor national backbone
router to keep track of.  I suggest that that issue be addressed at the
same time as you redefine all those Class As.

	--Kent

karn@envy.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (06/29/90)

Van Bokkelen) writes:
|> If we could hope to expunge all the Class A nets [...]

Actually, I'd prefer to do away with the artificial Class A/B/C distinction
altogether. Per-entry subnet masks in routing protocols like OSPF may well
make this practical. I've been using a similar scheme in amateur packet
radio TCP/IP for years and it has worked very well in keeping routing
tables small without requiring flag day conversions when topologies change.

Phil