[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] The history of net numbers

mckenzie@bbn.com (Alex McKenzie) (06/29/90)

Since there have been a number of questions about the history of network
number assignments, I've searched the "Assigned Numbers" RFCs to see
what light they could shed on the subject.  Here's what I found:

The first RFC which specified "numbers assigned to identify networks for
use in the internetwork protocol experiments" was RFC 717 (1 July 1976).
It gave the following 4 network numbers:
	BBNRCCnet       3
	SanFranPRnet    7
	ARPANET        10
	BostonPRnet    11

The first RFC to assign all network numbers less than 11 was RFC 750 (26
September 1978).  It gave the following assignments:
 0      Reserved
 1      BBN Packet Radio Net
 2      SF Bay Area Packet Radio Net #1
 3      BBN RCC Net
 4      Atlantic Satellite Net
 5      Washington DC Packet Radio Net
 6      SF Bay Area Packet Radio Net #2
 7      CHAOS Net
 8      BBN SATNET Test Net
 9      Ft. Gordon Packet Radio Net
10      ARPANET
11      University College London Net
12      CYCLADES [French national research net]
13      National Physical Laboratory [UK]
14      TELENET
15      British Post Office EPSS [Experimental Packet Switching Service]
16      DATAPAC
17      TRANSPAC
18      LCS Network [MIT]
19      TYMNET
20      Ft. Sill Packet Radio Net
21      DCEC EDN [Experimental Data Net]
I can't see much pattern in the assignments, so this leaves the question
of why ARPANET was given the number 10 unanswered.  Maybe Jon or Vint
has a recollection.

The first RFC to divide the network numbering into Classes was RFC 790
(September 1981).  It specified the Class A/B/C structure.  At the time
there were about 42 total network numbers assigned.

I don't believe net 89 has ever been assigned via the "Assigned Numbers"
RFCs.

Alex McKenzie

gamiddle@maytag.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (07/05/90)

In article <57885@bbn.BBN.COM> mckenzie@labs-n.bbn.com (Alex McKenzie) writes:
> Since there have been a number of questions about the history of network
> number assignments, I've searched the "Assigned Numbers" RFCs to see
> what light they could shed on the subject.  Here's what I found:

A related question: in which document is the network number for the Central
University of Mars assigned?