[net.jobs] Why not test for alcohol consumption too then?

bandy@lll-lcc.UUcp (Andrew Scott Beals) (03/08/86)

In article <2547@pixar.pixar> good@pixar (Craig Craig, Bo-Baig, Banana-Fana Fo-Faig, Me-My-Mo-Maig, Craig.) writes:
>In article <172@lll-lcc.UUcp>, I write:
>> What business does your employer have telling you what to do and
>> what not to do in your off-hours? I can see a big case for firing
>> someone if they show up drunk or stoned for work, but after hours?
>
>	Let's say I'm an employer.  I want smart people to work for me.  I
>want honest people to work for me.  I want responsible people to work for me.
>I don't want people who are in a self-destruct mode.

Fine. Are you going to give them psychiatric testing beforehand
also? Just look at any gathering of people and you'll find a good
proportion of them (not quite the majority but close) in a mental
self-destruct mode.

>That means I don't want people with drug habits.

Are you going to test for alcohol and valium addicts? I bet not. How
are you going to test for people with gambling habits? Are alcohol
and valium okay because they're depressants? Are they okay because
they're *your* habits?

>The time of day they do the drugs is quite irrelevant.

Just because you test positive does not mean that you have a
"habit". Do you get to come into my house to search for things if
you're my employer? After all, can't have any long-overdue library
books there or you know that this is a Dishonest Person!

>	I'm not telling you not to do drugs, I'm just telling you that if you
>do you can't work for me.  I see nothing unfair about that.

It's a violation of someone's privacy to take samples of their
"precious bodily fluids" when and where you feel like it. A court
conviction is another matter.
--
I'm PROUD to be a CARBON-BASED lifeform!

andy beals
bandy@lll-crg.arpa	{ihnp4,seismo,ll-xn,qantel,sun}!lll-crg!bandy
LLNL, P.O. Box 808, L-419, Livermore CA 94550 (415) 423-1948