[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] errno 77 on read of socket

tom@litle.litle.com (tom hampton) (07/02/90)

We have been doing some high volume tests of ISC's latest release of
TCP/IP.  Things look pretty good except for an occaisional (1/1000)
error generated on a read of a socket -- errno 77, bad data packet.

What does this error mean?

Where should we look to fix it?
 Tom Hampton, Mgr. New Technology, Litle & Co. | POB A218, Hanover, NH 03755
 603 643 1832
 Design is about figuring out what you won't be able to do.
tom@litle.com  tom@litle.uucp  {backbone}!dartvax.dartmouth.edu!litle!tom

stu@gtisqr.uucp (Stu Donaldson) (07/07/90)

In article <496@litle.litle.com> tom@litle.litle.com (tom hampton) writes:
>We have been doing some high volume tests of ISC's latest release of
>TCP/IP.  Things look pretty good except for an occaisional (1/1000)
>error generated on a read of a socket -- errno 77, bad data packet.

I had the same problem with the 2.0.2 distribution and ftp to a non-ISC
host.  Mainly to our PC's running NCSA_Telnet, and Excelan's FTP software.

I never had it between other systems, only when ftp'ing to the 386/ix
systems.  Interractive was very helpful and responded on the net once
with a suggestion, and then later via email requested some more info
on the problem.  Then no response or resolution from ISC.  I have just
learned to live with it.  People have to watch their FTP transfers here
and rerun it if something failed.

I was hoping that it was fixed in the 2.2 distribution.  (Oh, by the
way, I could not duplicate the problem between two ISC systems)
--
Stu Donaldson          UUCP: {smart-host}!gtisqr!stu
Engineering Manager    ARPA: gtisqr!stu@yang.cpac.washington.edu