[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] How to get RFC documents dealing with TCP-IP

brunner@eagle1.enet.dec.com (07/14/90)

I am sorta new to all of this. Can anyone give me a pointer to on-line
copies of the RFC (Request For Comments) documents. I am especially
interested in the ones that describe BOOTP and IP/UDP.

thanks!

{ Rich Brunner / Digital Equipment Corporation / brunner@eagle1.enet.dec.com }

QOP@CORNELLA.BITNET (Caleb Strockbine) (07/17/90)

>I am sorta new to all of this. Can anyone give me a pointer to on-line
>copies of the RFC (Request For Comments) documents. I am especially
>interested in the ones that describe BOOTP and IP/UDP.

You can get RFCs by anonymous FTP from nic.mil.ddn (formerly sri-nic.arpa).
CD to the RFC: (the colon is necessary) directory. Then get all the RFCs
your heart desires. There's an index file that's pretty useful, especially
since you can use grep to find pretty much anything (assuming you're a
Unix type).

Good luck.

Caleb Strockbine
qop@cornella.cit.cornell.edu

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU (07/18/90)

Hi.

RFCs can be obtained via FTP from NIC.DDN.MIL, with the pathname
RFC:RFCnnnn.TXT (where "nnnn" refers to the number of the RFC).  Login
with FTP, username ANONYMOUS and password GUEST.

The NIC also provides an automatic mail service for those sites
which cannot use FTP.  Address the request to SERVICE@NIC.DDN.MIL
and in the subject field of the message indicate the RFC number,
as in "Subject: RFC nnnn".

RFCs can also be obtained via FTP from NIS.NSF.NET.  Using FTP, login
with username ANONYMOUS and password GUEST; then connect to the RFC
directory ("cd RFC").  The file name is of the form RFCnnnn.TXT-1
(where "nnnn" refers to the number of the RFC).

The NIS also provides an automatic mail service for those sites which
cannot use FTP.  Address the request to NIS-INFO@NIS.NSF.NET and leave
the subject field of the message blank. The first line of the text of
the message mist be "SEND RFCnnnn.TXT-1", where nnnn is replaced by
the RFC number.

--jon.

jkrey@VENERA.ISI.EDU (07/18/90)

BOOTP (Bootstrap Protocol) RFCs 951,1048,1084
UDP  (User Datagram Protocol) RFC 768
IP (Internet Protocol) RFC 791

[...]

Joyce K. Reynolds
USC/Information Sciences Institute

oberman@amazon.llnl.gov (07/20/90)

In article <9007171705.AA12869@bel.isi.edu>, postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU writes:

> RFCs can be obtained via FTP from NIC.DDN.MIL, with the pathname
> RFC:RFCnnnn.TXT (where "nnnn" refers to the number of the RFC).  Login
> with FTP, username ANONYMOUS and password GUEST.

Jon! For anonymous logins, one should follow the printed instructions and enter
their username on their local system, not guest. While I doubt anyone at the
NIC ever looks at it, I do look at my anonymous logs and frequently contact
people having problems with the VMS syntax my system uses. If they just type
GUEST, as many do, I'm helpless. I know the system, but not the user.

Please be polite and enter your real ID if that's what is asked for. (And it
almost always is.)

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul19.165801.1@rogue.llnl.gov>, oberman@rogue.llnl.gov writes:
> In article <9007171708.AA04346@akamai.isi.edu>, jkrey@VENERA.ISI.EDU writes:
>>
>> RFCs can be obtained via FTP from NIC.DDN.MIL, with the pathname
>> RFC:RFCnnnn.TXT (where "nnnn" refers to the number of the RFC).  Login

As several people have pointed out, I should learn to read before posting. The
posting was absolutely correct. I was confusing nic.ddn.mil with nis.nsf.net.
My humblest apologies to all involved.

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (07/20/90)

In <1990Jul19.114801.1@amazon.llnl.gov> oberman@amazon.llnl.gov writes:
> For anonymous logins, one should follow the printed instructions and enter
> their username on their local system, not guest. [...]  be polite and
> enter your real ID if that's what is asked for. (And it almost always is.)

	My experience is that you don't get prompted for your real ID until
after it is too late.  Maybe it's just my ftp implementation (SunOS-3.5.2
and MtXinu 4.3BSD systems) but I get prompted for the username (i.e.
anonymous) and then the password, and only then do I get the line which
requests that I "send ident as password".  For example:

----------------
Script started on Fri Jul 20 11:37:58 1990
alanine> ftp uunet.uu.net
Connected to uunet.uu.net.
220 uunet FTP server (Version 5.99 Wed May 23 14:40:19 EDT 1990) ready.
Name (uunet.uu.net:(null)): anonymous
Password (uunet.uu.net:anonymous): <<I typed "guest" here>>
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> quit
221 Goodbye.
alanine> ^Dexit

script done on Fri Jul 20 11:38:16 1990
----------------
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

>	My experience is that you don't get prompted for your real ID until
>after it is too late.  Maybe it's just my ftp implementation (SunOS-3.5.2
>and MtXinu 4.3BSD systems)

I think it is.  I don't know where the problem exists, but I seem to
remember seeing this start working more correctly, perhaps correlated
with a switch from a 4.2BSD-flavored implementation to a 4.3BSD-flavored
implementation.

Of course, if the implementations are reasonably vanilla 4.xBSD ones,
they don't do anything with the identification anyway....