[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Routing Loop

mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) (07/21/90)

Is anyone familiar with the following nodes:  192.80.214.1 and 192.80.214.254?
An nslookup PTR query returns a non-existent domain error.  The nodes appear
to be between the College Park Md NSF backbone node and SURANET.

As of 1400 PDT the nodes were involved in a routing loop.  A traceroute from
our site to wraith.wtp.contel.com, issm.iss.contel.com, or sccgate.scc.com
our Rightist brethren would reach College Park and then bounce back and forth
between the two nodes.

Any information would be appreciated.

Merton

oberman@rogue.llnl.gov (07/22/90)

In article <9007202250.AA03920@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM>, mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) writes:
> Is anyone familiar with the following nodes:  192.80.214.1 and 192.80.214.254?
> An nslookup PTR query returns a non-existent domain error.  The nodes appear
> to be between the College Park Md NSF backbone node and SURANET.
>
> As of 1400 PDT the nodes were involved in a routing loop.  A traceroute from
> our site to wraith.wtp.contel.com, issm.iss.contel.com, or sccgate.scc.com
> our Rightist brethren would reach College Park and then bounce back and forth
> between the two nodes.

Somebody should be a bit embarassed by this. 192.80.214 is a class-c network at
FIX-East, the government "meeting the the nets" at SURANET offices near UMD.

I can't speak for the cause of the loop, but it explains some problems I've
been seeing of late in getting to some SE US sites. And the lack of inverse
name entries is inexcusable unless there is some technical reason which I can't
fathom.

					R. Kevin Oberman
					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
   					(415) 422-6955

Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.