[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] UDP checksums

root@wotk.UUCP (Superuser) (07/17/90)

Does anyone know how to enable UDP checksums on a Sun 360.

Thanks.

Nick Hennenfent
Computone Products
1100 Northmeadow Parkway
Suite 150
Roswell, GA 30076

Voice 404 475-2725    FAX 404 343-9735    email ...!uunet!wotk!{root,nickh}

beau@ultra.com (Beau James {Manager - SW Development - Ultra Networks}) (07/17/90)

In <5@wotk.UUCP> root@wotk.UUCP (Superuser) writes:

>Does anyone know how to enable UDP checksums on a Sun 360.

	# adb -k /vmunix /dev/mem
	udp_cksum/W 1		; Enables UDP checksums on the running kernel
	udp_cksum?W 1		; Enables whenever this kernel is booted

UDP checksums must be enabled on both sending and receiving
machines before the software will compute and verify the
checksum.

Beau James				beau@Ultra.COM
Ultra Network Technologies		{sun,ames}!ultra.com!beau
--

stevens@hsi.UUCP (Richard Stevens) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul17.003242.1556@ultra.com> beau@ultra.com (Beau James writes:

>UDP checksums must be enabled on both sending and receiving
>machines before the software will compute and verify the
>checksum.

Newer systems should start conforming to the Host Requirements RFC (1122),
meaning the receiver has to honor a checksum that was set by the sender:

         4.1.3.4  UDP Checksums

            A host MUST implement the facility to generate and validate
            UDP checksums.  An application MAY optionally be able to
            control whether a UDP checksum will be generated, but it
            MUST default to checksumming on.

            If a UDP datagram is received with a checksum that is non-
            zero and invalid, UDP MUST silently discard the datagram.
            An application MAY optionally be able to control whether UDP
            datagrams without checksums should be discarded or passed to
            the application.

/Richard Stevens

In article <1812@hsi86.hsi.UUCP> stevens@hsi.com (Richard Stevens) writes:
>In article <1990Jul17.003242.1556@ultra.com> beau@ultra.com (Beau James writes:
>>UDP checksums must be enabled on both sending and receiving

>Newer systems should start conforming to the Host Requirements RFC (1122),
>meaning the receiver has to honor a checksum that was set by the sender:

The question was specifically about enabling checksums in current BSD
systems, in which case the caveat is correct.  Is this bug fixed in 4.4bsd?

Also, if the systems were conforming to the HR RFC it wouldn't be necessary
to turn on UDP checksums.  I believe the RFC also specifies that they MUST
be enabled by default, and SHOULD provide the ability for the application
or system administrator to disable them.

--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

hwajin@daahoud.wrs.com (Hwa Jin Bae) (07/20/90)

beau@ultra.com (Beau James {Manager - SW Development - Ultra Networks}) writes:
>In <5@wotk.UUCP> root@wotk.UUCP (Superuser) writes:
>>Does anyone know how to enable UDP checksums on a Sun 360.
>	# adb -k /vmunix /dev/mem
>	udp_cksum/W 1		; Enables UDP checksums on the running kernel
>	udp_cksum?W 1		; Enables whenever this kernel is booted

udpcksum not udp_cksum

hwajin@daahoud.wrs.com

earle@POSEUR.JPL.NASA.GOV (Greg Earle - Sun JPL on-site Software Support) (07/22/90)

In comp.protocols.tcp-ip article <1990Jul17.003242.1556@ultra.com> you write:
>In <5@wotk.UUCP> root@wotk.UUCP (Superuser) writes:
>>Does anyone know how to enable UDP checksums on a Sun 360.
>
>	# adb -k /vmunix /dev/mem
>	udp_cksum/W 1		; Enables UDP checksums on the running kernel
>	udp_cksum?W 1		; Enables whenever this kernel is booted

Careful Beau.  This is true for SunOS 4.1, but for SunOS 4.0.3 and earlier
SunOS releases, the variable is "udpcksum" (no helpful underscore (^: )

Also, you need to say "adb -w -k /vmunix /dev/mem" or else your attempts to
write the new values will be somewhat futile ... (^:

	Greg Earle			| "This is Kraft.  It uses a blue box.
	Sun Microsystems, Inc.		|  This is Stouffer's.  It uses red.
	earle@poseur.JPL.NASA.GOV	|  The choice is yours."
	earle@Sun.COM			|  Pretty damn convincing argument, eh?