[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Status of FIX-East/SURAnet move/Contel routing loop, etc.

oleary@UMD5.UMD.EDU (dave o'leary) (07/23/90)

Hi everybody.

Here's the scoop on the reported problems.  I think it is fixed, if it
isn't please let me know by dropping a note to ops@noc.sura.net or calling
us at our new network operations center, (301)982-3214.  Our move is
basically completed now.  It didn't go as smoothly as we had hoped, but
it is almost over now anyway.  Sorry about any problems that were
encountered during the last two weeks due to the move.  If you want to
know the status of FIX East drop me a note.

## From: oberman@rogue.llnl.gov
## Subject: Re: Routing Loop
## Date: 21 Jul 90 18:38:44 GMT
## Sender: usenet@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV
##
## In article <9007202250.AA03920@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM>, mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM
## (Merton Campbell Crockett) writes:
## > Is anyone familiar with the following nodes:  192.80.214.1 and
## > 192.80.214.254?

Familiar?  Well, I know what machines answer those addresses anyway.
192.80.214.254 is the new address of the NSS on the FIX ethernet.
192.80.214.1 is a Proteon P4200 connecting into SURAnet.

## > An nslookup PTR query returns a non-existent domain error.  The nodes
## > appear to be between the College Park Md NSF backbone node and SURANET.
## >
## > As of 1400 PDT the nodes were involved in a routing loop.  A traceroute
## > from our site to wraith.wtp.contel.com, issm.iss.contel.com, or
## > sccgate.scc.com our Rightist brethren would reach College Park and then
## > bounce back and forth between the two nodes.

The T1 from our NOC to Contel was cutover to the new site Friday afternoon,
and there were lots-o-bit errors.  It took a while to get it cleaned up
but it should be working and stable since early this morning our time.
I expect the route was flapping quite a bit, and slow EGP time outs,
and default routing, and all that stuff...well, routing loops happen.
Many thanks to Bob Enger and Mike Powell at Contel for their help and
patience Friday night.

##
## Somebody should be a bit embarassed by this. 192.80.214 is a class-c
## network at FIX-East, the government "meeting the the nets" at SURANET
## offices near UMD.
##
## I can't speak for the cause of the loop, but it explains some problems I've
## been seeing of late in getting to some SE US sites. And the lack of inverse
## name entries is inexcusable unless there is some technical reason which I
## can't fathom.

The lack of reverse DNS was, pure and simply due to my lack of
applying for the domain.  Ths oversight has been corrected and the
servers should be working Real Soon Now.  Again, we are very sorry
to those individuals who were inconvenienced during our move.

## 					R. Kevin Oberman
## 					Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
## 					Internet: oberman@icdc.llnl.gov
##    					(415) 422-6955
##
## Disclaimer: Don't take this too seriously. I just like to improve my typing
## and probably don't really know anything useful about anything.

Something that distressed me during the cutover was watching the FIX
ethernet and seeing some hard core pinging going on - hundreds and
thousands of pings to nodes that were unreachable (no echo replies...)
from all over the place.  Throughout much of last week during the
cutover we were suffering from severe congestion on links between our
old and new offices.  To these irresponsible pingers (probably not
Kevin or MCC): I'm sure SURAnet's customers appreciated your
"troubleshooting" of our network during this time of scarce bandwidth.
Please be considerate in the future.  Run abusive throughput tests
only at night, if at all.

Thanks,

						dave o'leary
						SURAnet NOC Manager