[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Is underscore legal in the local-part of an address?

CALIFFM@BAYLOR.BITNET (Michael Califf) (07/23/90)

Sorry about posting here, feel free to aim me at a better list...

At least one of the INTERBIT (Internet-to-BITNET) gateways is
rejecting addresses which contain an underscore.  The postmaster
at the gateway says that this is because his software correctly
implements RFC821 which restricts addresses to letters, numbers,
and hyphens.

I have checked the RFC and it seems to be a little less
restrictive than that.  Have I missed something?

Thanks for any help/pointers,

Mike Califf                    (POSTMAST[ER])
Communications Software Coord  Internet: califfm@baylor.edu
Baylor University C.C.I.S.     Bitnet:   CALIFFM@BAYLOR

CALIFFM@BAYLOR.BITNET (Michael Califf) (07/23/90)

Don't Panic -

It turns out that the INTERBIT site which was rejecting the messages
is rejecting them based on the (illegal) underscore in the domain part
of the address, NOT the (legal) underscore in the local-part.

I am taking measures locally to remove/replace the underscores from
the offending node names.

That'll teach me to O.K. node names before fully parsing the RFC's :-)

Sorry about that,

Mike Califf                    (POSTMAST[ER])
Communications Software Coord  Internet: califfm@baylor.edu
Baylor University C.C.I.S.     Bitnet:   CALIFFM@BAYLOR

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU (07/24/90)

Hi.

You are right, he is wrong.

--jon.
Sorry about posting here, feel free to aim me at a better list...

At least one of the INTERBIT (Internet-to-BITNET) gateways is
rejecting addresses which contain an underscore.  The postmaster
at the gateway says that this is because his software correctly
implements RFC821 which restricts addresses to letters, numbers,
and hyphens.

I have checked the RFC and it seems to be a little less
restrictive than that.  Have I missed something?

Thanks for any help/pointers,

Mike Califf                    (POSTMAST[ER])
Communications Software Coord  Internet: califfm@baylor.edu
Baylor University C.C.I.S.     Bitnet:   CALIFFM@BAYLOR

----- End Included Message -----

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU (07/24/90)

Oh.

In that case, you are wrong, and he is right.

--jon.

Guy Middleton <gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu> (07/24/90)

Mike Califf writes:

> At least one of the INTERBIT (Internet-to-BITNET) gateways is
> rejecting addresses which contain an underscore.  The postmaster
> at the gateway says that this is because his software correctly
> implements RFC821 which restricts addresses to letters, numbers,
> and hyphens.

I think he may be a bit confused.  The elements of the hostname should be
letter-digit-hyphen, but the local-part (anything left of the @) may be
anything at all, but, if it contains any special characters from the set
<>()[]\.,;:@" or control characters, they must be escaped by a \, or else the
whole local-part must be enclosed in quotes.

fitz@wang.com (Tom Fitzgerald) (07/25/90)

[I know the original discussion is moot by this time, but anyway...]

gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) writes:
> The elements of the hostname should be
> letter-digit-hyphen, but the local-part (anything left of the @) may be
> anything at all, but, if it contains any special characters from the set
> <>()[]\.,;:@" or control characters, they must be escaped by a \, or else the
> whole local-part must be enclosed in quotes.

Periods are legal according to RFC 822.  Is this generally true in
implementations, or is this considered one of the glitches of RFC 822 that
nobody really pays attention to any more?

This actually makes a difference to us.  A programmer here wrote an e-mail
gateway strictly following RFC 822, in the belief that all other mailer
implementations in the world followed it strictly as well.  This has caused
a few problems already...

---
Tom Fitzgerald   Wang Labs        fitz@wang.com
1-508-967-5278   Lowell MA, USA   ...!uunet!wang!fitz

Craig_Everhart@TRANSARC.COM (07/25/90)

RFC822 says that periods are legal but somewhat restricted in
local-parts.  You can't legally have two periods following each other,
and you can't have the local-part begin or end with a period.  Thus,
	joe.blow@toaster.com
is legal, while
	joe..blow@toaster.com
	jane.smith.jr.@toaster.com
are not.  (The local-part is made up of a sequence of period-separated
``word''s, and an unquoted ``word'' may not contain a period.)

As to the ``phrase'' that precedes a route-addr, the syntax is slightly
different (a space-separated sequence of ``word''s), and a period
anywhere in it needs to be quoted.  This is traditionally done by
quoting the entire phrase text.  Thus,
	Joe Blow <joe@toaster.com>
	"Jane Smith Jr." <jane@toaster.com>
are legal, but
	Jane X. Smith <jane@toaster.com>
is not.

Then again, your programmer who believed that all other mailer
implementations strictly follow RFC 822 was a bit naive.  ``Liberal in
what you accept, conservative in what you generate.''

		Craig