[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] multiple subnet masks on same net

jnford@jay.weeg.uiowa.edu (Jay Ford) (07/26/90)

We currently have a class-B number (128.255) with 8-bit subnetting (mask
255.255.255.0).  Some folks on our campus net have an interest in subdividing a
subnet into a bunch of 11-bit sub-subnets (mask 255.255.255.224).  The
sub-subnets will each contain a small number of systems (< 32), so full 8-bit
subnets would be sparsely used.

This probably requires a router which has interfaces with different masks, one
with 255.255.255.0 and one with 255.255.255.224.  We'd like to use a BSD system
as a router.  I don't think routed (the BSD RIP implementation) will deal with
the inconsistent masks, and it doesn't seem that gated likes them very well
either.

I'd appreciate some advice from anyone who's done this sort of thing.  It seems
like a fairly reasonable way to better utilize the address space, but the
standard software doesn't appear to support it.

Thanks.

Jay Ford,  Weeg Computing Center,  University of Iowa,  Iowa City,  IA  52242
jnford@jay.weeg.uiowa.edu  or  jnfordpb@uiamvs.bitnet,  319-335-5555

kwe@bu-it.bu.edu (Kent England) (07/26/90)

In article <1951@ns-mx.uiowa.edu>, jnford@jay.weeg.uiowa.edu (Jay Ford) writes:
> We currently have a class-B number (128.255) with 8-bit subnetting (mask
> 255.255.255.0).  Some folks on our campus net have an interest in
subdividing a
> subnet into a bunch of 11-bit sub-subnets (mask 255.255.255.224).  The
> sub-subnets will each contain a small number of systems (< 32), so full 8-bit
> subnets would be sparsely used.
>
> This probably requires a router which has interfaces with different
masks, one
> with 255.255.255.0 and one with 255.255.255.224.  We'd like to use a
BSD system
> as a router.  I don't think routed (the BSD RIP implementation) will
deal with
> the inconsistent masks, and it doesn't seem that gated likes them very well
> either.
>
> I'd appreciate some advice from anyone who's done this sort of thing.
It seems
> like a fairly reasonable way to better utilize the address space, but the
> standard software doesn't appear to support it.

	Most routing protocols don't carry the subnet mask along with the
routes in the update messages.  They assume that there is one consistent
subnet mask throughout the entire subnetted net.  RIP is like that.

	OSPF does understand variable length subnet masks and OSPF is in
the process of being implemented in parts of the Internet, so you have
some help and guidance from Milo Medin at NASA Ames and Dave O'Leary of
SURAnet to name two I know.  I've designed a variable length subnet mask
approach for OSPF, but I haven't implemented it.  I think it can be managed
in a relatively straightforward way, if you can explain the proper
configurations
to your user community.  Otherwise, rely on trusty proxy ARP.  :-)

	The gated people are working on OSPF for gated, so if you can
wait a little you can have a protocol that will run on a BSD system.

	If your friends were trying to make bigger, not smaller, subnets
then you could use the trick of layering several 8-bit subnets onto one
interface.  cisco calls their configuration "secondary interface", for example.
It's wise to tell all hosts on layered subnets that their mask is 255.255.0.0
and rely on proxy ARP.  Otherwise, suffer an extra hop thru the local router.
I doubt you would want to change your default subnet mask to 11 bits and do
a lot of layering to get 8 bit subnets.  This sort of trick is nice if you
don't want to go to OSPF or if you are migrating from a bridged to mixed
environment.

	AppleTalk DDP-IP gateways like the FastPath and the GatorBox can
use transparent subnetting, where a group of addresses are assigned to the
gateway for the LocalTalk network.  I don't know a way to exploit that for
you.

	--Kent