[net.jobs] Does a company have any right to peer into your off-hours activities?

bandy@lll-lcc.UUcp (Andrew Scott Beals) (03/07/86)

In article <26@ur-tut.UUCP> dsg1@ur-tut.UUCP (Dave Goldberg (Iceberg)) writes:

>I don't know much about what private corporations are doing about drug
>testing, except that almost every one that I have interviewed with has
>said that they will not tolerate employees who use illegal substances.

*On the job* or at all? How are they supposed to find out about what
*you* do at home? If your wife (or social equivalent) feeds you some pot
brownies one night and the next day your employer decides that they
want your urine do they have any right to fire you?

I support firing folks who show up drunk or stoned to work but what
you do in your free time is YOUR business.

Some folks might say "Well, it's a well known fact that <xxx> abuse
causes deterioration of your health and mental capacity...".

Now what about *other* things that cause "deterioration of health
and mental capacity"? Other addictions that DO hit people as strong
as what they say about some things. (you could be a depressive for
example)

Does your employer have a right to "look out for you"? Does it make
a difference if your on-the-job performance does NOT change?

Please note that the Soviets look out for the (esp) mental health of
their citizens. ("Comrade! You no look so good! I hear you have been
complaining about how the Party is running things. I think what you
need right now is a little trip to a sanitarium I know of...")

--
I'm PROUD to be a CARBON-BASED lifeform!

andy beals
bandy@lll-crg.arpa	{ihnp4,seismo,ll-xn,qantel,sun}!lll-crg!bandy
LLNL, P.O. Box 808, L-419, Livermore CA 94550 (415) 423-1948

rjv@ihdev.UUCP (ron vaughn) (03/08/86)

In article <175@lll-lcc.UUcp> bandy@lll-lcc.UUCP (Andrew Scott Beals) writes:
>Now what about *other* things that cause "deterioration of health
>and mental capacity"?
>
>Does your employer have a right to "look out for you"? Does it make
>a difference if your on-the-job performance does NOT change?

carrying this to a logical extreme, if you had a job that required you
to think, e.g. computer programmer, professor(well, *some* professors :-),
you could be fired for watching prime time TV.

not that i would necessarily disagree.....

	:-),
	ron vaughn	...!ihnp4!ihdev!rjv

cda@ucbopal.BERKELEY.EDU (Charlotte Allen) (03/11/86)

>>Now what about *other* things that cause "deterioration of health
>>and mental capacity"?
>>
>carrying this to a logical extreme, if you had a job that required you
>to think, e.g. computer programmer, professor(well, *some* professors :-),
>you could be fired for watching prime time TV.

I propose all programmers be forced to take lie detector tests and fired
immediately for terminal stupidity if they admit to watching "Miami Vice"
more than once...
charlotte allen