[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Basic SLIP questions

peiffer@cs.umn.edu (Tim Peiffer (The Net Guy)) (07/28/90)

In article <910@ncis.tis.llnl.gov> guerra@lance.tis.llnl.gov (Frank Guerra) writes:
>The questions I have are this :
> - Is this legal?  Or is it more the case with a SLIP connection that it
>   requires it's own network in order to hang stuff other stuff off of the
>   connection?  It's been suggested that a new network number would need

	This is legal.  The answer is different depending upon what type
	of net you are running.  From the net address 128.115.26.0,
	lll-labnet (128.115), you need only pick up a new *sub* network
	128.115.27 ??  from your local net administrator.  This is because
	your particular network is a class B net.  If your particular lab
	is to be isolated to 128.115.26, you could experiment with a different
	subnet mask, say 255.255.255.127.  If you chose this method, the
	8th bit of the host address would determine whether you are on
	the slip network or not.
		Example:	128.115.26.10   local ethernet
				128.115.26.137  Slip ethernet (127+10)

>- What needs to be in the routing table for SLIP interface B (Machine B)?
>  It seems that it needs a default address to get out, but is there any more?

	As far as I can tell, you should have everything correct.

>  Machine C.  Hence it seems, that nothing will ever reach, and hasn't yet
>  reached, either PC if it is being put on the ethernet instead.

	Correct.

>- If another sub-net is required for the SLIP connection, how will the rest of
>  the rest of the network know about it?  Will some other machine have to
>  create proxy ARPs for it, or is this taken care of by the SLIP daemon on the
>  SLIP host?

	As far as I can tell, this should be it.  You could think of doing
	proxy arps as an alternate.  Either method (subnet vs proxy arp)
	should work.  Personally, I think the subnet mask is a much
	more efficient method of doing things.

Tim Peiffer
Tim Peiffer				peiffer@cs.umn.edu 	or
Computer Science Dept			..!rutgers!umn-cs!peiffer
University of Minnesota
MPLS MN 55455

--