[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] BBN/Slate

mckenzie@bbn.com (Alex McKenzie) (07/27/90)

Bolt  Beranek  and Newman, Inc. is pleased to announce an Academic Institution
Discount Plan for the BBN/Slate(TM) multimedia document communications system.
The  Plan  is  intended  to  foster  the understanding of BBN/Slate within the
academic community.  For this purpose  BBN  is  offering  the  software  at  a
substantially  reduced price of $100 per "active user" copy, to cover the cost
of distribution.

BBN/Slate software helps you  create,  edit,  communicate,  print  and  manage
multimedia  documents.   A BBN/Slate document may contain a number of powerful
media types, including:  Text, Geometric Graphics, Color Images, Scanned Black
&  White Images, Voice, Spreadsheets, Business Charts and Enclosures.  You may
print and file these documents as well as use electronic  mail  and  real-time
document conferencing to share these documents with others.

BBN/Slate  currently runs on five different types of workstations:  Sun 3, Sun
386i, Sun 4/SPARC under the SunView and  X11  window  systems,  the  IBM  RISC
System/6000 and the DEC VAXstation/Ultrix under the DECWindows window system.

To  find  out  more  information  about BBN/Slate and the Academic Institution
Discount Plan either write to:

		BBN Software Products
		10 Fawcett St.
		Cambridge, MA 02138

		Attn: BBN/Slate Academic Discount Program

or send electronic mail requests for information to:

		slate-academic@bbn.com

Please include your name and return surface mail postal address in either type
of request.

jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) (07/27/90)

/ comp.protocols.tcp-ip / mckenzie@bbn.com (Alex McKenzie) /  Jul 27, 1990 /
> $100 per "active user" copy, to cover the cost of distribution.

This really isn't any of my business, but I can't help but wonder what you
guys use for distribution medium.  Sounds like gold-particle magnetic tape
:-)

Jacob
--
Jacob Gore		Jacob@Gore.Com			boulder!gore!jacob

In article <670007@gore.com> jacob@gore.com (Jacob Gore) writes:
>> $100 per "active user" copy, to cover the cost of distribution.
>
>This really isn't any of my business, but I can't help but wonder what you
>guys use for distribution medium...

The cost of distribution is mostly people time, not media cost.  Only if
you have actually done distribution (I have) do you have any idea how much
time and frustration is involved.
--
The 486 is to a modern CPU as a Jules  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
Verne reprint is to a modern SF novel. |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry