[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Excelan Lan Workplace and Packet Drivers?

root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) (07/18/90)

I have an Excelan 205T board in an SCO Xenix 386 machine
supporting the Lan Workplace software.  The board is hooked
up to a thinwire ethernet.  I have been trying (without
any success) to get some DOS based machines talking to this
board using other vendor's boards driven by appropriate
packet drivers.  I try both NETBIOS and FTP style calls to
the Excelan board and it doesn't respond.

The Excelan board is receiveing the packets because any of
the appropriate stat commands done before and after an
attempted link indicates that the excelan received packets --
it just didn't do anything with them!

I think that I am probably screwing up the IP and Ethernet
addresses.  Any suggestions?

--

tb@pemstgt.gtc.de (07/20/90)

root@joymrmn.UUCP (Marcel D. Mongeon) writes:

>I have an Excelan 205T board in an SCO Xenix 386 machine
>supporting the Lan Workplace software.  The board is hooked
>up to a thinwire ethernet.  I have been trying (without
>any success) to get some DOS based machines talking to this
>board using other vendor's boards driven by appropriate
>packet drivers.  I try both NETBIOS and FTP style calls to
>the Excelan board and it doesn't respond.
	We have installed 205T and 3C503 in DOS,UNIX and XENIX-Systems
	All is working. On DOS we HAVE PC NFS and LAN WORKPLACE, on XENIX
	LAN-WORKPLACE and SCO XENIX NET, on UNIX SCO TCP/IP and SCO NFS.
	As I know, you can't do NETBIOS-calls form DOS without a NETBIOS
	emulation on XENIX. This is a part of XENIX NET.

>The Excelan board is receiveing the packets because any of
>the appropriate stat commands done before and after an
>attempted link indicates that the excelan received packets --
>it just didn't do anything with them!
	Do have edited the proper files: /etc/hosts on DOS and XENIX
	What products do have installed on DOS.

If you can mail me some more information, i will try to answer you question
in a better way.

best regards

Tillmann
--
Dipl.Ing. Tillmann Basien                Programmentwicklung fuer Microcomputer
Vaihinger Str.49, PostBox 810165		      +49-711-713047	FAX

manoj@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (Manoj Joshi) (08/03/90)

Let me know if you do find out some way. I could test this either!

manoj

manoj@hpldas5.hp.com