[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Looking for traceroute for SunOS4.0.3

jfy@procyon.cis.ksu.edu (Joseph F. Young) (08/02/90)

I am looking for traceroute for SunOS 4.0.3 on Sun3s and 4s.
Does anyone have such a beast up and running?

If you do, I would be interested in hearing from you.

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Aug2.002047.762@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> jfy@procyon.cis.ksu.edu (Joseph F. Young) writes:

   I am looking for traceroute for SunOS 4.0.3 on Sun3s and 4s.
   Does anyone have such a beast up and running?

I have it running.  Get uunet.uu.net:/networking/traceroute_pkg.tar.Z
which includes new kernel .o's and all the sources you need.  Manavendra
K. Thakur <thakur@zerkalo.harvard.edu> put it together from the original
source distribution and Sun-supplied new kernel modules.  When he announced
this Manavendra said:

"Because installing traceroute requires kernel mods, some people are
understandably reluctant to begin fooling with it.  To help things
along a little, I have collected *all* the code you need to compile
and install traceroute on a Sun 3, Sun 3x, Sun 4, or Sun 4c.

"The package includes sources for the two kernel modules that need
compiling (ip_icmp.c and raw_ip.c, patched and made available by Bill
Nowicki at Sun) as well as the traceroute executable (traceroute.c),
already patched for LSRR.  I've also included the contents of the
original traceroute.tar package as released by Van Jacobson.

"I wrote a Makefile and README that might help people compile and
install this software."

Worked good for me.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
comp.text.sgml	ISO 8879 SGML, structured documents, markup languages
			yes votes to sgml-yes@math.lsa.umich.edu
			 no votes to  sgml-no@math.lsa.umich.edu

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan &) (08/03/90)

In article <EMV.90Aug1204452@urania.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

Edward> In article <1990Aug2.002047.762@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> jfy@procyon.cis.ksu.edu (Joseph F. Young) writes:

Edward>    I am looking for traceroute for SunOS 4.0.3 on Sun3s and 4s.
Edward>    Does anyone have such a beast up and running?

Edward> I have it running.  Get uunet.uu.net:/networking/traceroute_pkg.tar.Z
Edward> which includes new kernel .o's and all the sources you need.  Manavendra
Edward> K. Thakur <thakur@zerkalo.harvard.edu> put it together from the original
Edward> source distribution and Sun-supplied new kernel modules.  When he announced
Edward> this Manavendra said:

Does anyone know if this will work as distributed under SunOS 4.1?

Thnaks.
--
Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176

casper@fwi.uva.nl (Casper H.S. Dik) (08/03/90)

ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan &) writes:

>Does anyone know if this will work as distributed under SunOS 4.1?

>Thnaks.
>--
>Dan Ehrlich <ehrlich@cs.psu.edu>/Voice: +1 814 863 1142/FAX: +1 814 865 3176

Traceroute requires NO kernel mods in SunOS 4.1.

So forget about using ip_icmp.o and raw_ip.o if you run SunOS 4.1
--
Casper H.S. Dik				VCP/HIP: +31205922022
University of Amsterdam     |		casper@fwi.uva.nl

davy@sparkyfs.istc.sri.com (David Curry) (08/03/90)

In article <Fx_3brd1@cs.psu.edu> ehrlich@cs.psu.edu (Dan &) writes:
>In article <EMV.90Aug1204452@urania.math.lsa.umich.edu> emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>
>Edward>    I am looking for traceroute for SunOS 4.0.3 on Sun3s and 4s.
>Edward>    Does anyone have such a beast up and running?
>
>Does anyone know if this will work as distributed under SunOS 4.1?

SunOS 4.1 has the appropriate things in the kernel.  I FTP'd traceroute
from ftp.ee.lbl.gov, compiled it, and it runs just fine under unmodified
SunOS 4.1.

--Dave Curry