[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Telnet - Trouble with Control S

TANNERC@CRL.AECL.CA (08/03/90)

One of our users wants to TELNET from a VAX running Wollongong TCP-IP to
another system (a CDC Cyber 990) and run the EMACS editor on the remote
system. Unfortunately, TELNET uses Control S for flow control purposes.

Is their any way to tell TELNET to pas CONTROL-s just as it does any other
character. We tried toggling the XON parameter with no success. We are running
WIN/TCP vs 5.0, and the NOS/VE 1.5.1 on the CDC.

Thanks for your help.

 Chris Tanner
AECL-Chalk River           TANNERC@CRL.AECL.CA

imp@dancer.Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) (08/04/90)

In article <566262D2F87F806F57@CRL.AECL.CA> TANNERC@CRL.AECL.CA writes:
>Is their any way to tell TELNET to pas CONTROL-s just as it does any other
>character. We tried toggling the XON parameter with no success. We are running
>WIN/TCP vs 5.0, and the NOS/VE 1.5.1 on the CDC.

WIN/TCP for VMS is now at rev 5.1 (plus some patches that should be
available).  To get around the ^S problem, you need to add "SET
TERM/NOTTS" to your login on the VMS system.  This has the bad effect
of allowing your terminal to receive too much data, but does make
emacs work right.  This info is current as of release 3.2, but I don't
recall any changes that would make this break under 5.0.  5.1 changed
the terminal control code, so all bets are off for that version (ie, I
haven't tried it there).

Have fun....

Warner
--