[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] NCSA KA9Q

SSJACK@ECUVM1.BITNET (07/25/90)

Can someone elaborate on the acronyms (?) NCSA & KA9Q used when
discussing tn3270?

Jack E. McCoy                                     SSJACK@ECUVM1.BITNET
Systems Programmer                                 (919) 757 - 6401
East Carolina University                          Greenville, NC 27858

mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael O'Dell) (07/26/90)

In article <9007251721.AA16622@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> SSJACK@ECUVM1.BITNET writes:
>Can someone elaborate on the acronyms (?) NCSA & KA9Q used when
>discussing tn3270?

>Jack E. McCoy                                     SSJACK@ECUVM1.BITNET
>Systems Programmer                                 (919) 757 - 6401
>East Carolina University                          Greenville, NC 27858

NCSA - No, i Can't Simulate Ascii (referring to the EBCDIC nature
	of the 3270)

KA9Q - Key Another 9 Queries (referring to a benchmark used in
	evaluating remote 3270 performance.

	-Mike

glratt@rice.edu (Glenn Forbes Larrett) (07/26/90)

In article <9007251721.AA16622@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> SSJACK@ECUVM1.BITNET writes:
>Can someone elaborate on the acronyms (?) NCSA & KA9Q used when
>discussing tn3270?

NCSA refers to the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

KA9Q - no clue

	Glenn Larratt			glratt@uncle-bens.rice.edu
	Computing Resource Center	OCIS, Rice University, Houston, Texas

karn@envy.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (07/26/90)

In article <25700@bellcore.bellcore.com>, mo@messy.bellcore.com (Michael
O'Dell) writes:

|> KA9Q - Key Another 9 Queries (referring to a benchmark used in
|> 	evaluating remote 3270 performance.

Ah hem....

"KA9Q" is my FCC-assigned Amateur Radio callsign. From those globally-
unique four alphanumerics one can determine by inspection that it
belongs to the amateur radio service, that it was issued by the United
States government, that I initially obtained it while living in either
Illinois, Indiana or Wisconsin (I was in northern Illinois at the
time), and I hold an Extra Class license. And with a copy of the
(public) database it yields my full name, mailing address, station
address, date of birth and date of license expiration. How's that for
a compact personal address assignment scheme? :-)

Of course, Mike knew better since he's N4NLN ("Not Four New Lan Networks!"
- referring to Mike's views on IEEE 802 subgroup proliferation...)

--Phil

wwm@pmsmam.uucp (Bill Meahan) (07/26/90)

In article <10229@brazos.Rice.edu> glratt@uncle-bens.rice.edu (Glenn Forbes Larrett) writes:
>In article <9007251721.AA16622@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> SSJACK@ECUVM1.BITNET writes:
>>Can someone elaborate on the acronyms (?) NCSA & KA9Q used when
>>discussing tn3270?
>
>KA9Q - no clue

KA9Q is the amateur radio callsign of Phil Karn (of Bellcore) who has written
a TERRIFIC implementation of the IP protocol suite for the PC (since adapted
by others to UNIX and the Atari ST).  Phil's program (the original version
known as NET or NET.EXE or just KA9Q - and the latest called NOS) was developed
for amateur radio packet radio operations.  Others have found additional uses.
--
Bill Meahan  WA8TZG		uunet!mailrus!umich!pmsmam!wwm
I don't speak for Ford - the PR department does that!

Any attempt at wit is liable to offend _somebody_!

ULTIMA@UNC.BITNET (Paul Jones 962-6501, 919) (07/26/90)

NCSA - National Center for Supercomputing Applications
       at University of Ill. Champlain-Urbana
KA9Q - Shortwave radio handle for it's developer. tcp/ip over packet
       radio (and a few other handy things too) from Phil Karns.

Mills@udel.edu (07/26/90)

Phil,

Not quite your perfect personal identifier, your callsign, since historically
the mapping has changed. I hold W3HCF, which does not divulge my Extra Class,
formerly held K2GUP, W8EJQ, GM5AWF and F0BCX in various countries and states.
In addition, lots of countries have gone out of business and new ones have
taken their places and callsigns. You can, however, assume the callsign
assignment is globally unique as long as you keep your history books up to
date.

Dave

StG@hummer.iupui.edu (Scott Griepentrog) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Jul26.011643.8982@pmsmam.uucp> wwm@pmsmam.UUCP (Bill Meahan) writes:
>KA9Q is the amateur radio callsign of Phil Karn (of Bellcore) who has written
>a TERRIFIC implementation of the IP protocol suite for the PC (since adapted
>by others to UNIX and the Atari ST).  Phil's program (the original version
>known as NET or NET.EXE or just KA9Q - and the latest called NOS) was develop
>for amateur radio packet radio operations.  Others have found additional uses.
>--

Is there C source to said program available?  I need to get an IP driver
working on OS9 in the near future.  Better yet, has anybody already done
this for OS9 (OSK)?  I happen to be using OS9 on a Mega ST - though I
would imagine the ST version mentioned is under TOS.

Thanks-

StG