[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Network Temperature Protocol

J.Crowcroft@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Jon Crowcroft) (07/20/90)

Background.

As you may know, the UK has been undergoing nothing but a heatwave the
last few days.

Motivation.

As part of a distributed computing experiment, we are considering
setting up a Sun workstation, with a bi-metallic strip and small coil
tempearture device, and providing a network wide reading, combined
with time of day service and cartesian location data.

Deliverable.

The intent is to deploy such a service across the Internet as a way of
detecting optimal vacation sites over the coming years of weather
disruption whilst conventional forecast techniques may not suffice.

An rfc (request for centigrade) may be forthcoming shortly.

 jon

(but seriously ... :-)

louie@SAYSHELL.UMD.EDU (Louis A. Mamakos) (07/21/90)

In article <9007210040.AA28109@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> you write:

>As part of a distributed computing experiment, we are considering
>setting up a Sun workstation, with a bi-metallic strip and small coil
>tempearture device, and providing a network wide reading, combined
>with time of day service and cartesian location data.

Actually, the facilities for doing most of this are already available on
the internet.  If you run NTP (network TIME protocol) on a host, you can
certainly provide the time of day service.  To determine the temperature,
you need only look at the drift rate of the clock relative to the a
reference clock which corrolates rather nicely to the temperature of the
crystal in the clock of your computer.  You'll find that its trivial to
see day/night variations of the clock and hot vs. cold days.  All you need
do now is calibrate the drift rate to the temperature.

I'm sure Dave Mill can describe the use of NTP as an earthquake predictor
in another message.  This would be another important factor in picking
a location for a holiday.

louie

jsm@ss01.pppl.gov (John Scott McCauley Jr.) (07/21/90)

In article <9007210040.AA28109@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> J.Crowcroft@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Jon Crowcroft) writes:

>As part of a distributed computing experiment, we are considering
>setting up a Sun workstation, with a bi-metallic strip and small coil
>tempearture device, and providing a network wide reading, combined
>with time of day service and cartesian location data.

What ever happened to 'finger weather@hermes.ai.mit.edu'?
This reported the wind speed and temperature at the top of Tech^2,
at MIT. There was also 'finger coke@a.cmu.edu' which reported the
status of a coke machine at CMU.

	Scott

P.S. Don't come here -- some things here are hotter than 30 keV.

Mills@udel.edu (07/22/90)

jon,

You don't need the bimetallic strip, just use the frequency-compensation
variable maintained by the Network Termperature Protocol. Of course, you
will need to calibrate your individual workstation quartz oscillator
against temperature, which you should insist be included in the specifications
of the workstation. With the local-clock model defined in N Time P Version 3,
the coefficient of temperature shoulc be in the order of 2500 per degree C.
Dennis Ferguson has already calibrated his workstation, which apparently is
not environmentally controlled. That gives you Ontario. You will need other
volunteers who agree to chime NTP and operate their workstation in ambient
environmental conditions.

We should expect objections and very little data from McMurdo Station. Heck,
you can expect objections from Delaware.

Dave

Mills@udel.edu (07/23/90)

Folks,

Louie refers to an incident where an NTP primary time server, perched almost
atop the Loma Pietra fault, mysteriously abandonded chime a couple of minutes
BEFORE the recent quake. We were tempted to investigate application of NTP
as earthquake predictor, until we learned that a fortuitous power failure
within BARRNET happened to quench its chime. Now, we are concentrating on
the nature of that precipitous failure as a possible earthwuake predictor.
Meanwhile, on the night of the quake, NTP turned out to be a useful monitoring
tool and provided much comfort that at least computers in the area, much less
people, were safe and that circuits out the Pacific were still operation.
Actually, what that was doing was confirming that the NASA Ames massive
single point of failure was still up. A UPS failure there later in the
evening conked out the entire Pacific.

Dave

kasten@europa.interlan.COM (Frank Kastenholz) (07/23/90)

 > From tcp-ip-RELAY@NIC.DDN.MIL Mon Jul 23 07:55:00 1990
 > From: Mills@udel.edu
 > To: Jon Crowcroft <J.Crowcroft@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
 > Cc: tcp-ip@nic.ddn.mil, discussion@cs.ucl.ac.uk
 > Subject:  Re:  Network Temperature Protocol
 >
 > jon,
 > <stuff deleted>
 >
 > You will need other
 > volunteers who agree to chime NTP and operate their workstation in ambient
 > environmental conditions.
 >
 > We should expect objections and very little data from McMurdo Station. Heck,
 > you can expect objections from Delaware.
 >
 > Dave

Dave,

I'm afraid that your scheme probably won't work in New England (about 20 Miles
West of Boston) in the summer. The machines would need to be sealed against
humidity and other gunk in the "Ambient Environment" (I wonder what ozone, water, and
various unburned and partially burned hydrocarbons would do to the insides of
a Sparcstation?:-(. You would then have to pump cooled air into the machine so
that it doesn't melt from the heat, defeating the whole purpose of the scheme.

Of course, even if the machine could stand the outside, I doubt that the person
sitting at the keyboard could - unless s/he is a chain-smoking sauna freak.

Air Conditioning-ly Yours
Frank Kastenholz
Racal Interlan

kmeyer@wrl.dec.com (Kraig Meyer) (07/24/90)

In article <> J.Crowcroft@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Jon Crowcroft) writes:
||As part of a distributed computing experiment, we are considering
||setting up a Sun workstation, with a bi-metallic strip and small coil
||tempearture device, and providing a network wide reading, combined
||with time of day service and cartesian location data.

The idea of being able to find out about a network node's environment
has some good network management potential.  Back when I was at Merit
helping build the original Merit nodes, we started to design a module
which would sense temperatures in and and nearby the processor cabinet.
The idea was that an alarm in the NOC would sound when the temperature
was outside of an appropriate range, and the NOC could call a human to
either turn up the A/C, plug in a fan, or turn the node off.  (A fair
number of our original campus backbone nodes were in poorly cooled phone
closets, broom closets, *steam tunnels*, etc. at the Univ. of Michigan).

We also toyed with the idea of hooking up a computerized weather station
to the RS-232 ports on some of our upstate nodes--we had found an
extremely high correlation between certain DDS lines going out and
thunderstorms on the western edge of the state.  Might give us enough
time to warn users :-)

Neither project ever came to fruition, but I seem to remember that there
were a couple sources for RS-232 interfaced weather stations (Edmund
Scientific, perhaps?)   And a simple temperature gauge is easy and
relatively inexpensive to build--all that is needed is the appropriate
thermistor, a basic analog-digital converter and some random electronics.
If I remember correctly, you could hook the appropriate thermistor directly
to the game paddle port on an Apple II and get relatively accurate temperature
readings (and you could, of course, locate the thermistor any place you
wanted).
Kraig Meyer                                                kmeyer@wrl.dec.com
On parole from the University of Southern California.     All views expressed
are my own and may or may not be the same as those of Digital Equipment Corp.

Mills@udel.edu (07/24/90)

Kraig,

You don't need an external transducer and don't want one. You want the
ambient environment of the CPU circuit board, which is reliably reported
by the quartz crystal resonant frequency, assuming it is calibrated.
For this appliation you want to maximize the temperature coefficient, rather
than minimize it, which is the usual practice.

As for knocking about in the steam tunnels, rewind history to circa late
fifties, when some of us installed miles of surplus field-telephone wire in
the steam tunnels between the student dorms, along with broadcast carrier
transmitters. That 40-watt monster under Alice Lloyd was my contribution.

Dave

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU (07/24/90)

Network Working Group                                          J. Postel
Request for Comments: XXXX                                           ISI
                                                               July 1990

                     Temperature Quote Protocol

Status of this Memo

This RFC suggests an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
Hosts on the Internet that choose to implement a Temperature Quote
Protocol are encouraged to experiment with this protocol.

Introduction

A useful debugging and measurement tool is a temperature quote
service.  A temperature quote service simply sends a short message
(the temperature) without regard to the input.

TCP Based Temperature Quote Service

One temperature quote service is defined as a connection based
application on TCP.  A server listens for TCP connections on TCP port
16.  Once a connection is established a short message (the
temperature) is sent out the connection (and any data received is
thrown away).  The service closes the connection after sending the
quote.

UDP Based Temperature Quote Service

Another temperature quote service is defined as a datagram based
application on UDP.  A server listens for UDP datagrams on UDP port
16.  When a datagram is received, an answering datagram is sent
containing the temperature (the data in the received datagram is
ignored).

Temperature Syntax and Semantics

The temperature quote is the current temperature at the location of
the server reported in degrees Celsius (or centigrade).

It is transmitted as decimal digits represented as ASCII printing
characters, preceded with a plus or a minus sign.

Examples:

	+22		; a pleasant temperature for people
	-3		; a bit on the cool side

mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) (07/24/90)

Jon:

The major problem with the TQP specification are in the examples at the end of
the RFC.  The +22 is excesively warm--the -3 is more appropriate of the two
examples.  There is enough medical evidence to suggest that +22 is not conducive
to mental activity.

MCC

LVARIAN@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU ("Lee C. Varian") (07/24/90)

On Mon, 23 Jul 90 20:36:21 -0700 Merton Campbell Crockett said:
>The major problem with the TQP specification are in the examples at the end of
>the RFC.  The +22 is excesively warm--the -3 is more appropriate of the two
>examples.  There is enough medical evidence to suggest that +22 is not
>conducive
>to mental activity.

Merton,  I think your Celsius to Farenheit converter may be overheated.
+22 C = +72 F (fairly comfortable).  BTW, the temperature in Phoenix
reached +50 C = +122 F about two weeks ago -- now that is hot!
  Lee Varian
  Princeton University

rlb@rtpark.rtp.semi.harris.com (Boyd,Bob) (07/24/90)

In article <9007240048.AA00668@bel.isi.edu>, postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU writes...

>Network Working Group                                          J. Postel
>Request for Comments: XXXX                                           ISI
>                                                               July 1990
>
>                     Temperature Quote Protocol
>
>Status of this Memo
>
>This RFC suggests an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
>Hosts on the Internet that choose to implement a Temperature Quote
>Protocol are encouraged to experiment with this protocol.
>
>Introduction
>
>A useful debugging and measurement tool is a temperature quote
>service.  A temperature quote service simply sends a short message
>(the temperature) without regard to the input.
>
>TCP Based Temperature Quote Service
..

>Temperature Syntax and Semantics
>
>The temperature quote is the current temperature at the location of
>the server reported in degrees Celsius (or centigrade).
>
>It is transmitted as decimal digits represented as ASCII printing
>characters, preceded with a plus or a minus sign.
>
>Examples:
>
>	+22		; a pleasant temperature for people
>	-3		; a bit on the cool side

It seems to me that it would be more useful to establish this as a more general
environmental protocol rather than just temperature.  I would suggest
that the quote consist of a string of information separated by delimiters
such as "," or ";".  This way humidity and other more esoteric environmental
parameters could be checked -- such as "on emergency power", "particle count",
etc....

This would make it feasible for monitor manufacturers to make their
equipment more accessible by having a standard protocol for reporting
environmental conditions.  Is there already such a beast in the RFC's?

          Bob
 Bob Boyd   Voice:     (919)549-3627
 Harris Semiconductor Microelectronics Center

 E-Mail Address:      rlb@rtpark.rtp.semi.harris.com

hascall@cs.iastate.edu (John Hascall) (07/24/90)

In some article, mcc@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Merton Campbell Crockett) writes:

}The major problem with the TQP specification are in the examples at the end of
}the RFC.  The +22 is excesively warm-- ...

  Huh?  ((22 * 1.8) + 32) = 71.6

John Hascall

kelley@molecules.ecn.purdue.edu (Stephen Kelley) (07/24/90)

Temperature should be in Kelvins.

Steve Helpful

PADLIPSKY@A.ISI.EDU (Michael Padlipsky) (07/25/90)

Jon--

Since you did request comments, after all, I'd observe that it would be
more appropriate to offer Fahrenheit readings via TCP and UDP, reserving
Celsigrade/Centius for TP4 and CLNP whenever X.500 can furnish the necessary
SAPpiness.  (Perhaps Kelvin should be furnished via TP0.)  I mean, every
time we try to be international about things it only leads to difficulty,
as witness the subsequent messages re what 22C is....

Or should we be spec-ing a CF "gateway", to be contemporary?

Other than that, though, it seems to be one of the better protocols to come
along in some time, except for one technical omission, I believe.  Unless,
of course, the Host Requirements RFC specifies that UDP checksums will be
used for all protocols that don't say not to use 'em, since if one cares
enough about the temperature to ask, one presumably cares enough to want to
get it right.

So I urge the IAB not to progress the TQS to DIS [*] status without changing
it to Fahrenheit for both TCP and UDP, and explicitly requiring UDP checksums
(except for the UNIXtm "man" page, naturally, where total recall of all
remotely relevant context is always assumed).

   cheers, map

[*] Draft Internet Silliness
    (not to be confused with Draft International Sanctimoniousness)
-------

faunt@CISCO.COM (Doug Faunt N6TQS 415-688-8269) (07/25/90)

   From: "Lee C. Varian" <LVARIAN@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>

   Merton,  I think your Celsius to Farenheit converter may be overheated.
   +22 C = +72 F (fairly comfortable).  BTW, the temperature in Phoenix
   reached +50 C = +122 F about two weeks ago -- now that is hot!
     Lee Varian
     Princeton University
There was a comment in the military mailing list that it hit 62 C in
Australia not too long back.  THAT'S HOT!!

raj@hpindwa.HP.COM (Rick Jones) (07/25/90)

one the subject of temperature quotes...

One person has mentioned that the temperature of the system's
environment might be a good piece of *management* information...

Why not make it an extension to the system variables of the MIB and
let SNMP do the querry-response stuff rather than create a new
protocol?

While this discussion may have started-out as an arcane excercise ;-)
it seems as though arcane items like this might be quite useful.
(perhaps not as *fun* as the CMU coke machine ;-). Maybe the folks at
Leibert (sp) would like to put SNMP into their PDU's and air
conditioners and put them on the local LANs?

rick jones

___   _  ___
|__) /_\  |    Richard Anders Jones   | MPE/XL Networking Engineer
| \_/   \_/    Hewlett-Packard  Co.   | But it IS TCP/IP - Honest!
Being an employee of a Standards Company, all Standard Disclaimers Apply

LVARIAN@PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU ("Lee C. Varian") (07/25/90)

On Tue, 24 Jul 90 15:22:37 GMT Boyd, Bob said:
>This would make it feasible for monitor manufacturers to make their
>equipment more accessible by having a standard protocol for reporting
>environmental conditions.  Is there already such a beast in the RFC's?

Bob,  Isn't this just another MIB for SNMP to deal with?
  Lee Varian
  Princeton University

jqj@RT-JQJ.STANFORD.EDU (JQ Johnson) (07/25/90)

I'm afraid we're getting too serious about this "Temperature Quote Protocol"
stuff.  If anyone is tempted to get serious about it, they should write
an experimental MIB and offer temperature/humidity/... as SNMP variables,
not using yet another protocol.

The above in response to Bob's query:
>Is there already such a beast in the RFC's?

I do NOT believe there is an appropriate MIB yet.

davis@groucho.ucar.edu (Glenn P. Davis) (07/25/90)

In <9007240048.AA00668@bel.isi.edu> postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU writes:

>Network Working Group                                          J. Postel
>Request for Comments: XXXX                                           ISI
>                                                               July 1990

>                     Temperature Quote Protocol

>Status of this Memo

>This RFC suggests an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
>Hosts on the Internet that choose to implement a Temperature Quote
>Protocol are encouraged to experiment with this protocol.

 ...and so on

You probably don't want to hear this, but there are a number of
protocols and formats for weather info defined by the
"World Meterological Organization" (WMO).

See, for example, WMO publication number 386, "Manual on the Global
Telecommunication System, Volume 1, Global Aspects, Part II" for the
protocols.

Of more relevance to this discussion is the specification of a
synoptic report (a weather report from a ground station).
This is contained in the WMO "Manual on Codes", publication No. 306.
The synoptic codes are code form "FM 12-VIII Ext." .

Here is an example:

^A^M^M
727 ^M^M
SMBZ4 SBBR 241200^M^M
AAXX 24124 ^M^M
83827 21225 80000 10110 20101 39900 40190 53012 7104/ 886// 333 ^M^M
20082 69974=^M^M^M
^M^M
^C

This is a report from "SBBR" (Brazilia) at 12:00 UTC on July 24.
"Control" characters are indicated using "^X", etc.
The actual report begins at line AAXX ...

I can't decode it, but somewhere we have some software that can :-).
Things like temperature, wind speed and direction, rel humidity,
barometric pressure, cloud cover, etc are all in that line.

They devised these things in the days of 300 baud teletypes == expensive
bandwidth.

Cheers.

Glenn P. Davis
UCAR / Unidata
PO Box 3000                   1685 38th St.
Boulder, CO 80307-3000        Boulder, CO  80301

(303) 497 8643

obrien@aeroaero.org (Michael O'Brien) (07/25/90)

Now, I may be going silly in my old age, but didn't SAIL used to have a port
number you could Telnet to that would give you the inside (machine room)
and outside temperatures through some digitally interfaced silliness?  Surely,
SAIL being the premier computer science installation that it is (was), there
MUST have been a protocol number duly assigned to this service...
--
Mike O'Brien
obrien@aerospace.aero.org

jpp@specialix.co.uk (John Pettitt) (07/25/90)

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU writes:
>Network Working Group                                          J. Postel
>Request for Comments: XXXX                                           ISI
>                                                               July 1990

>Temperature Syntax and Semantics

>The temperature quote is the current temperature at the location of
>the server reported in degrees Celsius (or centigrade).

>It is transmitted as decimal digits represented as ASCII printing
>characters, preceded with a plus or a minus sign.

How about an international option:

For the UK it could say `Phew what a scorcher' if the temp
is over 68 F and `Brass Monkeys' if it is below.

This does assume that JNT will allow some nasty American protocol
on their network ...  (world == rutherford.ac.uk)

--
John Pettitt, Specialix International,
Email: jpp@specialix.com Tel +44 (0) 9323 54254 Fax +44 (0) 9323 52781

iann@specialix.co.uk (Ian Nandhra) (07/25/90)

postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU writes:

>Network Working Group                                          J. Postel
>Request for Comments: XXXX                                           ISI
>                                                               July 1990

>                     Temperature Quote Protocol

>Status of this Memo

>This RFC suggests an Experimental Protocol for the Internet community.
>Hosts on the Internet that choose to implement a Temperature Quote

>    [ lots of stuff deleted, best get the real RFC....]

Now were getting somewhere. However TQP should be regarded as
a stepping stone to the more worthwhile Temperature Syncronisation Protocol
or TSP. There would obviously have to be a few regional variations
to cope with localised concentrations (outbreaks??) of SPARC stations, etc
but these could be agreed with a little give-and-take. Prehaps a
temperature standard of 19C would be acceptable to all.

If sucessfully implemented, such a protocol would also contribute
towards reducing Global Warming.

Ian.

--
Ian Nandhra,    Specialix, 3 Wintersells Road, Byfleet, Surrey, KT14 7LF, UK
{backbone}!mcsun!ukc!slxsys!iann                        iann@specialix.co.uk

smb@ulysses.att.com (Steven Bellovin) (07/25/90)

In article <8078@ncar.ucar.edu>, davis@groucho.ucar.edu (Glenn P. Davis) writes:
> You probably don't want to hear this, but there are a number of
> protocols and formats for weather info defined by the
> "World Meterological Organization" (WMO).

I hope we don't have to use ASN.1 to encode them....

Mills@udel.edu (07/25/90)

Glenn,

As you know, the WMO has a bunch of weather forecasting and reporting
formats used in the aviation and marine communities. For some years
venerable Miami short-wave station WBR70 broadcasted continuous
data on various frequencies receivable over significant portions of the
globe. While this station has since shut down, Halifax Radio CHU
presently broadcasts 75-baud radioteletype messages (along with
facsimile maps) on several frequencies. A little known fact is that
for some years anybody could TELNET to a magic port on one of my
machines (dcn6) and watch the weather flow (translated to ASCII, of course).
While I can't guarantee to continue that for my friends, due to shortage
of equipment, it sure would be interesting and maybe even useful if
some site or other could splice the weather wire and in effect resurrect
WBR70.

Dave

rws@cs.brown.edu (Central Scrutinizer) (07/25/90)

>Temperature should be in Kelvins.
>Steve Helpful

Well, then I guess the sign bit would be kind of useless... :-}

rick s. <rws@cs.brown.edu>

mis@Seiden.com (Mark Seiden) (07/26/90)

kmeyer@wrl.dec.com (Kraig Meyer) writes:

>In article <> J.Crowcroft@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Jon Crowcroft) writes:
>||As part of a distributed computing experiment, we are considering
>||setting up a Sun workstation, with a bi-metallic strip and small coil
>||tempearture device, and providing a network wide reading, combined
>||with time of day service and cartesian location data.

>The idea of being able to find out about a network node's environment
>has some good network management potential.  Back when I was at Merit
>helping build the original Merit nodes, we started to design a module
>which would sense temperatures in and and nearby the processor cabinet.
>The idea was that an alarm in the NOC would sound when the temperature
>was outside of an appropriate range, and the NOC could call a human to
>either turn up the A/C, plug in a fan, or turn the node off.

whether you want the temperature of your cpu board or the room temp is
open to debate.  i believe that large disks with motors and big power
supplies are the things which generate the most heat today.  anyway you can
place the sensor within a reasonable distance of the gadget (20 ft) using
an ordinary radio-shack type extension cable...

anyway such a gadget is commercially available...

Subject: /dev/thermometer

want to monitor the temperature in your machine room?

run a shell script if a certain temperature is exceeded, or a
particular rate of temperature increase is exceeded?

there is now such a gadget .. wiztemp-1.
-40 C through 88 C with .5 degree C resolution (that's 8 bits...)

chart recording software (c and postscript) furnished in source.

out of range conditions reported in a user-configurable fashion.
small package, connects to serial port (of sun, mac, pc, many unix
systems) -- velcro it to the side of your machine...

costs $250 including software.  avoiding one meltdown could easily
justify the cost...

2 yr mfrs warranty, 30 day money back guarantee.

available from
Seiden and Associates, Inc
16 Woods End Rd
Stamford, CT 06905-2727
203 329 2722
mis@seiden.com

--
mark seiden, mis@seiden.com, 1-(203) 329 2722 (voice), 1-(203) 322 1566 (fax)

hughes@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) (07/26/90)

In article <9007240048.AA00668@bel.isi.edu> postel@VENERA.ISI.EDU writes:

>Network Working Group                                          J. Postel
>Request for Comments: XXXX                                           ISI
>                                                               July 1990

I'd like to see the daemon take ntpd's lead, and modify the temperature
when it gets too hot or cold.   ;-)

 //=========================================================================\\
||       Larry J. Hughes, Jr.        ||        hughes@ucs.indiana.edu        ||
||        Indiana University         ||                                      ||
||   University Computing Services   ||   "The person who knows everything   ||
||    750 N. State Road 46 Bypass    ||      has a lot to learn."            ||
||      Bloomington, IN  47405       ||                                      ||
||         (812) 855-9255            ||   Disclaimer: Same as my quote...    ||
 \\==========================================================================//

karn@envy.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (07/26/90)

In article <9007242321.AA21214@rt-jqj.Stanford.EDU>,
jqj@RT-JQJ.STANFORD.EDU (JQ Johnson) writes:
|> I'm afraid we're getting too serious about this "Temperature Quote Protocol"
|> stuff.  If anyone is tempted to get serious about it, they should write
|> an experimental MIB and offer temperature/humidity/... as SNMP variables,
|> not using yet another protocol.

I can't wait to see how you'll implement SNMP's SET operation, especially
for outdoor temperatures. Think of the applications... :-)

Phil

craig@NNSC.NSF.NET (07/26/90)

> A little known fact is that
> for some years anybody could TELNET to a magic port on one of my
> machines (dcn6) and watch the weather flow (translated to ASCII, of course).

Dave:

I've had this fantasy for about two years now that I'd someday convince
someone to take this sort of weather info (or perhaps satellite weather data
which some sites make available) and combine it with the MERIT geography
server, and allow me, on my bitmapped workstation, to pull up the current
weather map for some part of the country on my workstation screen.

Thus:

	csh% weather Princeton

would cause a weather map for the Princeton NJ area to appear on my screen
(and would have allowed me to diagnose that JvNC was down on Tuesday due
to thunderstorms causing power problems).

I mean, what are all this nifty data and these bitmap displays for except
drawing useful pictures?

Craig

J.Crowcroft@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Jon Crowcroft) (07/26/90)

 >	csh% weather Princeton

 >I mean, what are all this nifty data and these bitmap displays for except
 >drawing useful pictures?

 Craig,

 joking aside, it would be a very low cost excerise for doing some
seriously accurate stats for global warming detection - this was at
the back of my mind when originally jesting...

 joking not aside, i thought only the English took the weather this
seriously; i mean sea shells and weather; i ask you:-)

 jon

heker@NISC.JVNC.NET (Sergio F. Heker) (07/26/90)

Craig,

I think that would be a neat idea indeed (of course the archaic way of
calling our NOC would have also worked :-)  ).

						-- Sergio

Sergio Heker				Voice:	(609)520-2000 (until 8/15)
Director, JvNCnet			Voice:	(609)258-2400 (after 8/15)
					E-mail:	"heker@nisc.jvnc.net"

kline@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) (07/26/90)

craig@NNSC.NSF.NET writes:
>I've had this fantasy for about two years now that I'd someday convince
>someone to take this sort of weather info (or perhaps satellite weather data
>which some sites make available) and combine it with the MERIT geography
>server, and allow me, on my bitmapped workstation, to pull up the current
>weather map for some part of the country on my workstation screen.

Here at the U of I I can run "wxmap" and then tell it I want a map centered
on Champaign and a current conditions map will appear on my X display,
complete with weather watch boxes and severe weather risk areas. Radar data
is coming soon.

The code was homegrown here in the cornfields. The weather data comes
from Alden Electronics, a reseller of government weather data. It all
comes out in the WMO format, with which I struggle every day.

Is this what you mean?

Charley Kline, KB9FFK/KT, PP-ASEL                            c-kline@uiuc.edu
University of Illinois Computing Services                      (217) 333-3339

craig@bbn.com (Craig Partridge) (07/26/90)

In article <1990Jul26.144406.19495@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kline@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) writes:
>Here at the U of I I can run "wxmap" and then tell it I want a map centered
>on Champaign and a current conditions map will appear on my X display,
>complete with weather watch boxes and severe weather risk areas. Radar data
>is coming soon.

Charley:

    This is precisely the sort of thing I think would be a fun (and useful)
application to have generally available on the Internet.

Craig

Mills@udel.edu (07/27/90)

Craig,

I've had this fantasy, too. Problem is our government wants to get out of the
distribution business leaving the commercial sector to make a buck. There are,
of course, various weather feeds, but it seems they are really intended for
for-profit distribution and then not in raw form, but various "value added"
forms. I pine for the old raw, ubiquitous broadcasts. At least CHU continues
to broadcast, even if it is specialized to the North Atlantic and Ice Patrol.

Dave

karn@envy.bellcore.com (Phil R. Karn) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul26.144406.19495@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>,
kline@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) writes:
|> Here at the U of I I can run "wxmap" and then tell it I want a map centered
|> on Champaign and a current conditions map will appear on my X display,
|> complete with weather watch boxes and severe weather risk areas. Radar data
|> is coming soon.
|>
|> The code was homegrown here in the cornfields. The weather data comes
|> from Alden Electronics, a reseller of government weather data. It all
|> comes out in the WMO format, with which I struggle every day.

We also have one of the VSAT dishes on the roof, and one of my
colleagues has also been experimenting with displaying it on bitmap
screens. It's especially interesting to watch the radar maps when
thunderstorms roll through the area.

Unfortunately, even though the weather data comes from the government
the commercial resellers claim proprietary rights to it, so I'm not
sure it could be made freely available over the net. It's like RSA
claiming private patent rights to an invention developed with public
funds, but don't get me started on that...

Phil

Mills@udel.edu (07/27/90)

Charlie,

With all that horsepower you still struggle with WMO format? Zillions of
five-digit encoded obscurities? Surely a wee finite-state autonmaton such
as tinkered by one of my students can relieve that tension. Taking this
issue seriously, I personally eyeballed a PDP11/40 at Heathrow Airport
near London which tapped those digits from the weather wire and produced
a quite respectable English rendition suitable for automatic broadcast
by regions throughout the country. One of my radios has a feature that
announces its frequency in English. Strongly Japanese-accented English.

Dave

kline@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) (07/27/90)

Mills@udel.edu writes:
>With all that horsepower you still struggle with WMO format? Zillions of
>five-digit encoded obscurities? Surely a wee finite-state autonmaton such
>as tinkered by one of my students can relieve that tension.

Oh lord no. I meant I struggled with the various categorization of
products by their WMO headers, some of which encapsulate an entire
product, others signify a set of products to follow, each of which to
be separated by ASCII RS characters, some have several products
separated by "zone codes" which seem to differ in syntax depending on
who is typing them in, and so on.

The kinds of things I parse are the SA observations, which I tried
writing a yacc grammar for but it was so full of ambiguities it wasn't
funny. My student wrote a chunk of code to convert them into little
data structures, which works fairly nicely. I also decode the Weather
Watch announcements, which are fixed-format enough that a perl program
can take a stab at pattern-matching them down to something useful.

>Taking this
>issue seriously, I personally eyeballed a PDP11/40 at Heathrow Airport
>near London which tapped those digits from the weather wire and produced
>a quite respectable English rendition suitable for automatic broadcast
>by regions throughout the country. One of my radios has a feature that
>announces its frequency in English. Strongly Japanese-accented English.

I'm trying to talk management here into a DECtalk box. Although the
geewhiz of talking computers has kind of lost its appeal these days;
everyone wants to see, not hear.  Another argument for the no-code
license, I guess.

Personal for Dave: What kind of radio is this? My latest acquisition is
an Icom IC-24AT, which doesn't speak but has that strongly Japanese
flavor nonetheless. For example in the manual. I love it for its size,
but the damn puts out five watts on high power, which is enough to get
the combination heat sink/belt clip hot enough to burn my hip.

Charley Kline, KB9FFK/KT, PP-ASEL                            c-kline@uiuc.edu
University of Illinois Computing Services                      (217) 333-3339

news@msg.UUCP (Alex Brown) (07/28/90)

If you're dead serious about it, you might think about CMOT.

--
Alex Brown
uunet!msg!alex

Steven Bellovin writes:
> Glenn P. Davis writes:
> > You probably don't want to hear this, but there are a number of
> > protocols and formats for weather info defined by the
> > "World Meterological Organization" (WMO).
>
> I hope we don't have to use ASN.1 to encode them....

These codes were established for manual encoding of weather measurements
reported by TTY;  most of them are now IA5 (ASCII) strings.  They aren't
easy to generate because many of the measurements are conditions such as
"partly cloudy" which are based on observer judgement.  The FAA is developing
a network of "Automated Weather Observation Systems" that establish
uniform reporting algorithms.  Although the WMO messages aren't record-
oriented, other equivalent messages used internally in FAA systems are.
Haven't had to describe them with ASN.1 yet, but the day may come, because
the FAA is well underway in developing an ISO-stack real-time network for
air traffic information, weather, and other aviation data.

BTW, this NTP is an example of how useless a toy protocol for automated data
collection can be.  If we're really serious about automated status or ambient
condition reporting, it should be done right, with Common Management Over TCP
(CMOT) which should eventually line up with ISO Common Management Info Svc
and Protocol (CMIS/CMIP).  Sorry to have to say it here in the TCP lobby,
but this is the sort of thing that made real-world users nervous looking
at RFCs, leading to calls for the GOSIP mandates that many of you loathe.

--
Alex Brown
uunet!msg!alex

piet@cwi.nl (Piet Beertema) (07/30/90)

	If sucessfully implemented, such a protocol would also contribute
	towards reducing Global Warming.
Wonder if it would help reducing temperature in more
exotic places too, like those mentioned below:

   Some consolation
   ----------------

   I wish to clear up the old question: "Which is hotter, heaven or hell?"

   Verse 26 of Chapter 30 of Isaiah defines the energy radiated heavenward
   by the sun and the moon in terms of the amount received by the earth:
   "Moreover the light from the moon shall be sevenfold, as the light from
   seven days". Thus, heaven receives from the moon as much energy as the
   earth does from the sun. If we add to that 49 times ("seven times seven")
   the earth's solar radiation falling on heaven, we have a total of 50 times
   the energy we receive from the sun. Using a known absolute temperature
   of the earth and the Stefan-Boltzmann fourth-power law, we arrive at the
   determined temperature of heaven: a less than paradisiacal 525 degrC.

   And the temperature of hell?

   Revelation 21:8 says: "The fearful shall have part in the lake which burns
   of fire and brimstone". Since brimstone (sulfur) has a boiling point of
   445 degrC, hell must be several degrees cooler. If it were not, it would
   be a vapor, not a lake.

   Therefore, heaven is hotter than hell by at least 80 degrC.

(Actually this story is a couple of years old already;
can't remember where I ever got it from).

--
	Piet Beertema, CWI, Amsterdam	(piet@cwi.nl)

mleech@bcarh342.bnr.ca (Marcus Leech) (07/30/90)

In article <9007251236.aa03466@huey.udel.edu>, Mills@udel.edu writes:

> globe. While this station has since shut down, Halifax Radio CHU
> presently broadcasts 75-baud radioteletype messages (along with
CHU is a station operated by our National Research Council to propagate
  time-of-day information, and NOTHING ELSE. It's also located in
  Ottawa, Ontario--not Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Canada does operate a
  number of shortwave services--you probably just got the callsign
  wrong, Dave.  There could, of course, be another CHU that I'm
  unaware of, but having two stations with the same callsign and
  completely different purposes would be too strange...

-----------------
Marcus Leech, 4Y11             Bell-Northern Research  |opinions expressed
mleech@bnr.ca                  P.O. Box 3511, Stn. C   |are my own, and not
VE3MDL@VE3JF.ON.CAN.NA         Ottawa, ON, CANADA      |necessarily BNRs

olsen@artemis.ll.mit.edu (Jim Olsen) (07/31/90)

Marcus Leech writes:
>  CHU is a station operated by our National Research Council to propagate
>  time-of-day information, and NOTHING ELSE.

The Canadian Forces Halifax station is CFH.  It does indeed broadcast
radioteletype and facsimile weather reports and forecasts on a number
of HF frequencies.  For those interested, I have appended some
frequency information and a FAX schedule (perhaps out of date).  At
least here in New England, the CFH signals are quite strong and easily
received.

------
CFH Radioteletype frequencies (some part-time):
  75-baud radioteletype, 850-Hz shift: 4271, 6330, 6338, & 10536 kHz
  FEC radioteletype: 13351 kHz
------
Forwarded from rec.radio.shortwave:

From: roskos@IDA.ORG (Eric Roskos)
Subject: New CFH Fax Schedule
Date: 29 Jan 90 00:50:20 GMT

A few mornings ago I happened to be up at 5AM when CFH sends its Fax
schedule, and thus recorded the current schedule.  According to a note
at the bottom, this is a new schedule as of 1/15/90, so here is the
current schedule.  (This was sent via Fax and is hand-transcribed below,
so any errors are probably mine.)

Note that while some of these charts are local to Nova Scotia in their
coverage, others, such as the surface analysis, cover the entire east
coast of the US.  The Surface Analysis is the old-fashioned hand-drawn
kind with the graphical symbols, rather than the digitally-produced NOAA
kind with the nearly (if not entirely) illegible small numbers -- it's
especially good if you're using a PK232 or other low-resolution device,
since the large lines and lettering make it easy to read by comparsion
to the NOAA charts.

	Canadian Forces Metoc Centre Halifax
	FMO Halifax, Nova Scotia B3K 2X0
		   Canada

	CFH Facsimile Broadcast Schedule
		Transmitting On
   LF: 122.5 KHz / HF: 4.271-6.330-10.536-13.510 MHz

No.   Trans Time Chart Description		      Valid Time
WHF01 0001-0014Z Significant Weather Depiction		1200Z
----- 0015-0037Z Ice Chart				Latest
CFH01 0101-0114Z 850 MB Forecast Wind/Temp/Height	18Z/00Z
CFH04 0301-0312Z 500 MB Analysis			0000Z
CFH03 0312-0331Z Surface Analysis North			0000Z
CFH03 0331-0338Z Surface Analysis South			0000Z
WHF02 0401-0414Z Wave Analysis				0000Z
WHF03 0414-0427Z 12 Hr Significant Wave Prognosis	1200Z
CFH02 0427-0438Z 850 MB Analysis			0000Z
CFH05 0501-0514Z 24 Hr Isobaric Prognosis		0000Z
WHF04 0514-0527Z 24 Hr Significant Wave Prognosis	0000Z
WHF05 0601-0614Z Significant Weather Depiction		1800Z
WHF06 0614-0627Z 36 HR Significant Wave Prognosis	1200Z
CFH06 0701-0714Z 850 MB Forecast Wind/Temp/Height	18Z/00Z
CFH07 0801-0814Z 36HR Isobaric Prognosis		1200Z
CFH08 0814-0833Z NFLD SST -Wed-Sat- (NS OFA -Tue-)	Latest
		 NS SST -Sun-Thu- (NFLD OFA -Mon-Fri-)
CFH09 0901-0920Z Surface Analysis North			0600Z
CFH09 0920-0927Z Surface Analysis South			0600Z
CFH07 1000-1014Z 36 Hr Isobaric Prognosis (Repeat)	1200Z
----- 1014-1026Z CFH Test Chart -Tue-Thu-Sat-		-----
----- 1014-1026Z CFH Fleet Broadcast Schedule		-----
----- 1101-1123Z Ice Chart				Latest
WHF08 1201-1214Z Significant Weather Depiction		0000Z
----- 1301-1323Z Ice Chart				Latest
----- 1401-1423Z Ice Chart				Latest
CFH10 1423-1438Z 850 MB Forecast Wind/Temp/Height	06Z/12Z
CFH14 1501-1512Z 500 MB Analysis			1200Z
CFH13 1512-1531Z Surface Analysis North			1200Z
CFH13 1531-1536Z Surface Analysis South			1200Z
WHF09 1601-1614Z Wave Analysis				1200Z
WHF10 1614-1627Z 12 Hr Significant Wave Prognosis	0000Z
CFH11 1627-1638Z 850 MB Analysis			1200Z
CFH15 1701-1714Z 24 Hr Isobaric Prognosis		1200Z
WHF11 1714-1727Z 24 Hr Significant Wave Prognosis	1200Z
WHF13 1801-1814Z Significant Weather Depiction		0600Z
WHF12 1814-1827Z 36 Hr Significant Wave Prognosis	0000Z
CFH16 1901-1914Z 36 Hr Isobaric Prognosis		0000Z
CFH17 2000-2014Z 850 MB Forecast Wind/Temp/Height	06Z/12Z
WHF14 2014-2033Z NS SST (NFLD SST -Mon-Wed-Sat-)	Latest
WHF14 2101-2120Z NS OFA (NFLD OFA -Mon-Wed-Sat-)	Latest
CFH18 2120-2139Z Surface Analysis North			1800Z
CFH18 2139-2146Z Surface Analysis South			1800Z
----- 2201-2223Z Ice Chart				Latest
----- 2301-2323Z Ice Chart				Latest

--
Eric Roskos (roskos@IDA.ORG or Roskos@DOCKMASTER.NCSC.MIL)

pst@ack.Stanford.EDU (Paul Traina) (07/31/90)

Gee, in our part of California, making the server would be pretty trivial:

#!/bin/sh
#
set `date`

case $2 in
		echo "The weather today is really nice."
		echo "Take the day off from work and go to the beach or"
		echo "go for a bike ride."
		;;
	Mar)
		echo "The weather is ok today, but it will probably rain."
		echo "Go home early so you don't get caught in an afternoon"
		echo "shower."
		;;
	Dec|Jan|Feb)
		echo "It's cloudy today and really cold.  Don't expect"
		echo "temperatures to get above 70."
		;;
	Nov)
		echo "It's ok today,  but a little too cold for the beach."
		;;
esac
--
I told the priest - don't count on any second coming.
God got his ass kicked the first time he came down here slumming.

Mills@udel.edu (07/31/90)

Marcus,

I knew that, but my keyboard didn't. Halifax Radio is CFH, not CHU. Boy, did
may pals pile on for that goof.

Dave

Mills@udel.edu (07/31/90)

Jim,

Would be only that WBR70 continued its venerable broadcasts; but alas, Miami
Radio has faded into the past. However, intrepid squirrels will discover
yet a few 50-bps Baudot-coded WMO broadcasts from various European
countries and also the interesting air-america types from Middle America.
Gentleman, man your shortwave receivers.

Dave

david@twg.com (David S. Herron) (08/01/90)

In article <1990Jul26.144406.19495@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> kline@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) writes:
>craig@NNSC.NSF.NET writes:
>>I've had this fantasy for about two years now that I'd someday convince
>>someone to take this sort of weather info (or perhaps satellite weather data
>>which some sites make available)

>The code was homegrown here in the cornfields. The weather data comes
>from Alden Electronics, a reseller of government weather data. It all
>comes out in the WMO format, with which I struggle every day.

There's a fairly inexpensive box available for Amiga which encodes and
decodes the transmission formats used to send pictures from satellites,
and used by the wire services on shortwave-TELEX.  One of these hooked
to an Amiga sitting on ether (ether has been available for years, along
with TCP/IP & NFS) could grab current weather maps from satellite
and make them available over NFS.  Then when Craig gets one of his
fantasies again his software can just get the picture from wherever
it was stashed by the Amiga.

No need to buy the data from Alden either..
--
<- David Herron, an MMDF weenie, <david@twg.com>
<- Formerly: David Herron -- NonResident E-Mail Hack <david@ms.uky.edu>

kevinr@moe.Tandem.COM (Kevin J. Rowett) (08/09/90)

In article <7688@gollum.twg.com>, david@twg.com (David S. Herron) writes:
|> In article <1990Jul26.144406.19495@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
kline@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Charley Kline) writes:

|> There's a fairly inexpensive box available for Amiga which encodes and
|> decodes the transmission formats used to send pictures from satellites,

One can buy an adapter for a PC which will receive HF WEFAX for $99.
It produces GIFF files.  Seems like that's a pretty easy way to
make some data available.

KR