[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Software assigned Ethernet Addresses

jb@mytardis.UUCP (John Bartas) (08/01/90)

I lost the posting from the fellow who was going to build an ethernet
board without an address prom and assign the address via software,
but I once worked for a company that was going to do the same thing.

Although they didn't find anything in the spec saying NOT to do it, I
was uneasy about the fact that although it seemed an obvious way of
reducing parts and cutting mfg costs, no one else that I knew of did
it. We even prototyped some boards and had them working in our labs
with commercial net protocols. Hand assigning unique ethernet numbers
to each board we brought up was a pain, but is was doable.

We gave up on the idea when we thought about booting via the net. We
needed an address to start to boot, but we needed to be booted for software
to assign an address. Chicken and Egg. There were other problems too,
but I left all my notes at the company and don't recall details. You
didn't mention what your machine was for, so maybe none of this applies
to you.

-JB-

    John Bartas      |   This space for rent.
  NetPort Software   |

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (08/11/90)

In article <119@mytardis.UUCP> jb@mytardis.UUCP (John Bartas) writes:

>.. build an ethernet board without an address prom and assign the
> address via software,.... no one else that I knew of did it.

There is a norwegian company that does this. On the other hand, they only
make large mini-computers, so every computer has a individual system number.
This gives two bytes in the ethernet address. The last is pointing out the
number of cards in the machine. So there is no problems exchanging a broken
card, which is probably the main reason to do this. ( ethernet does not
imply IP, not that John claimed so, but to save others the time of a posting)

Per
--
---
Per Andersson