[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] tcp/ip terminal server request

wingo@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dave Wingo) (08/14/90)

I am looking for any information you can give me on the terminal server vendorDatability. I know that they relatively new to the tcp/ip terminal business.
Have you had experience with them?
How about in their previous life as LAT terminal server supplier?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance....

David Wingo - NCR Corp. Phone (803) 791-6476
                        wingo@Columbia.NCR.COM

combstm@stat.appstate.edu (08/16/90)

In article <6444@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM>, wingo@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Dave Wingo) writes:
> I am looking for any information you can give me on the terminal server
> vendor Datability. I know that they relatively new to the tcp/ip terminal
> business.
>
> How about in their previous life as LAT terminal server supplier?

As a LAT server from the first server in 1989, the servers have been rock solid
for us, with no hardware failures on any of the units.

> Have you had experience with them?

We have seven of the Datability servers, all which are dual protocol LAT/TCP-IP
oriented.  Three of them are 128 port boxes, 3 are 32 port, 1 is 24 port.  We
also have 29 DECservers (200s) on the same network as the Datability, so we can
compare the DECserver to the Datability server.

To support our terminals we use RS423 ports, RS232 ports, and an NPT protocol
card.  The protocol card allows a user on a DECserver to access the TCP/IP
service provided by the NPT card in a Datability server.  Some of the servers
have an intermixed set of 423, and 232 cards.  To access the terminal servers
we use dial up access, direct modem, direct terminal connection, and have
printers hanging off the terminal servers.  We also use a Datability server to
frontend a 16-line bank of dialup modems.

To connect the Datability servers to our network we use
thickwire and thinwire connections to ethernet.

Datability as a vendor has been very easy for us to deal with.  They support
what they sell, both from the hardware side, as well as the software side.  We
ran into a problem in December, 1989, on our network, where a certain type
bridge was either passing runt and/or oversized ethernet packets.  Datability
called into the server at our site to see what the problem was, and immediately
applied a patch to the Datability software to trash the invalid packets.  In
this same situation, we received a complete terminal server replacement to
attempt to address this problem, overnight delivery, no charge.

We have standardized on the Datability server based on price (as opposed to DEC
servers) support, and features.  There is no right to copy license to buy as
the LAT/TCP comes on a chip in the server.  I do not like the idea of buying
hardware just to get to buy 1 or 2 licenses to have software to make it run.
The boot time for the server is about 5 seconds.  This makes it a good
candidate for satellite rooms on an ethernet network, which is what we are
doing with the servers.  Our users are able to dial into our dialin bank and
access other hosts on the INTERNET where they have accounts, without signing
onto the local host computers.

I am not affiliated with Datability, nor do I receive any compensation from
them.  However, the product is a useful, stable addition to our networking
effort at this time on our campus.

- Terry
  Bitnet:    COMBSTM@APPSTATE
  Internet:  COMBSTM@Conrad.Appstate.Edu