[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Talking to cisco routers with Unix machines

jkp@cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) (08/19/90)

In article <9008142108.AA03724@jade.berkeley.edu> of mail.sun-nets, 42-5360)CLIFF%edu (CLIFF <(Cliff Frost {415})) writes:

>Has anyone had any experience using SLIP and/or PPP from a Sun
>(a 3/50 or SPARCstation) at 56 or 64Kbits/sec?  I'm interested
>in using one of the serial ports to do this.

To extend, has anyone written software to talk to Cisco routers at 64
kbits/sec ?  I understand that Cisco's support SLIP, but can that be
run at 64 kbit/s ?

I suppose the protocol Cisco routers use to talk to each other is not
any standard protocol but Cisco's own.  Are the protocol specs
available ?  If not, would Cisco object to someone reverse-engineering
the protocol ?

A local PTT here offers a service to connect company LANs together
with Cisco routers; if a general-purpose Unix machine could talk the
Cisco protocol and route the traffic (perhaps also DECNET traffic) one
could save the money needed to buy the Cisco router.  Well, perhaps I
shouldn't have said that because I suppose it's not in the best
interests of Cisco ;-)

//Jyrki

In article <1990Aug18.225126.3678@santra.uucp> jkp@cs.HUT.FI (Jyrki Kuoppala) writes:
>To extend, has anyone written software to talk to Cisco routers at 64
>kbits/sec ?  I understand that Cisco's support SLIP, but can that be
>run at 64 kbit/s ?

There is no reason why you couldn't run SLIP at FDDI bit rates, should
you really want to. :-)  I'd guess that 64kbaud is synchronous rather
than async, in which case SLIP's applicability is a bit more dubious,
but the idea is not impossible even so.

>I suppose the protocol Cisco routers use to talk to each other is not
>any standard protocol but Cisco's own...

In the long run they will probably use PPP, I would think.  What they
use *now* is a different question; it may well be proprietary.
--
It is not possible to both understand  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
and appreciate Intel CPUs. -D.Wolfskill|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

BILLW@MATHOM.CISCO.COM (William "Chops" Westfield) (08/19/90)

    >Has anyone had any experience using SLIP and/or PPP from a Sun
    >(a 3/50 or SPARCstation) at 56 or 64Kbits/sec?  I'm interested
    >in using one of the serial ports to do this.

You really do NOT want to do this.  The zippy CPU in a sparcstation
is much better off doing user stuff, rather than trying to service
13000 interupts/second.  Servicing interrupts is not something that
most risc processors are good at.  I've heard people complain about
the impact of much slower SLIP connections.

You would be better off getting a sync serial interface, which only
interrupts the CPU per frame, or a stand alone router box.

    To extend, has anyone written software to talk to Cisco routers at 64
    kbits/sec ?  I understand that Cisco's support SLIP, but can that be
    run at 64 kbit/s ?

The maximum speed of an async SLIP line on a cisco terminal server is
38400 bps.  Faster than that we like to do frame-at-a-time sync serial
too (and you use a router instead of a terminal server.)

    I suppose the protocol Cisco routers use to talk to each other is not
    any standard protocol but Cisco's own.  Are the protocol specs
    available ?  If not, would Cisco object to someone reverse-engineering
    the protocol ?

We have told people the spec.  I don't know whether anyone has
actually done anything with it.  The current software also supports
the IETF Point-to-Point protocol for IP on sync serial lines, which is
probably a better idea.

    A local PTT here offers a service to connect company LANs together
    with Cisco routers; if a general-purpose Unix machine could talk the
    Cisco protocol and route the traffic (perhaps also DECNET traffic) one
    could save the money needed to buy the Cisco router.  Well, perhaps I
    shouldn't have said that because I suppose it's not in the best
    interests of Cisco ;-)

This sort of thing is exactly what the PPP spec is supposed to solve.
This is tcp-ip, you don't have to be nice to cisco.  Actually, you
don't have to be nice to us on the cisco mailing list either  :-)

Bill Westfield
cisco Systems.
-------

torben@FORALIE.ICS.HAWAII.EDU (Torben Nielsen) (08/19/90)

>In article <9008142108.AA03724@jade.berkeley.edu> of mail.sun-nets, 42-5360)CLIFF%edu (CLIFF <(Cliff Frost {415})) writes:
>
>>Has anyone had any experience using SLIP and/or PPP from a Sun
>>(a 3/50 or SPARCstation) at 56 or 64Kbits/sec?  I'm interested
>>in using one of the serial ports to do this.

Yes, we do have such a beast. We initially developed it on a Sun-3/50 and later
migrated to SS-1's. Several early (and quite buggy!) versions got out to a
variety of people. We recently redid the whole thing and that hasn't been
released yet. One of the main reasons it hasn't gone out yet is that we
depend on Sun's lower layer; i.e., we have been using the synchronous zs
driver they supply with their Sunlink products. Yes, we have our own, but I'm
not enthusiastic about maintaining that one. Much easier to use a tiny piece
of Sunlink. Except for the license problems....

						Torben

torben@FORALIE.ICS.HAWAII.EDU (Torben Nielsen) (08/19/90)

>    >Has anyone had any experience using SLIP and/or PPP from a Sun
>    >(a 3/50 or SPARCstation) at 56 or 64Kbits/sec?  I'm interested
>    >in using one of the serial ports to do this.
>
>You really do NOT want to do this.  The zippy CPU in a sparcstation
>is much better off doing user stuff, rather than trying to service
>13000 interupts/second.  Servicing interrupts is not something that
>most risc processors are good at.  I've heard people complain about
>the impact of much slower SLIP connections.

I disagree. We did this on a Sun-3/50 and sure, you could feel it. On an
SS-1, the impact isn't what I'd call major. We use the on-board serial ports
at 56Kbps in a couple of cases and we don't see a really noticeable impact
from it. We've actually gone a good bit higher than this on an SS-1 :-)
It all depends on what you're after. If you happen to have an SS-1 handy
and you're willing to give up a little chunk of the CPU, go for it. Under
normal circumstances, you won't notice it. My feeling is that the load is
about the same as you get if you add a reasonably active process to your
SS-1.

>You would be better off getting a sync serial interface, which only
>interrupts the CPU per frame, or a stand alone router box.

We're actually playing with this. We have hardware that allows us to run
serial lines out of an SS-1 at a full 2.048Mbps. Neat. And the SS-1 is fast.
Hopefully, we'll manage to get a hold of a Cisco pretty soon so we can test
interoperability.

					Torben

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (08/20/90)

In article <12614941747.9.BILLW@mathom.cisco.com>, BILLW@MATHOM.CISCO.COM (William "Chops" Westfield) writes:

> You really do NOT want to do this.  The zippy CPU in a sparcstation
> is much better off doing user stuff, rather than trying to service
> 13000 interupts/second.  Servicing interrupts is not something that
> most risc processors are good at....

Well, just to pick nits ...

One of some RISC CPUs' claims to fame is low interrupts latency.  I have
intimate knowledge of a 16MHz RISC on a VME FDDI board that that takes an
interrupt/frame, for all frames including BEACON and CLAIM.  That's about
one frame every 3 microseconds.  The interrupt handler is limited to about
1.5 usec/interrupt, to ensure that there are cycles left over for talking
to the host and other things, while handling the 300,000 interrupts/second.

I remember the sales pitch for another RISC CPU about 4 years ago, where
they claimed you could start the work of an interrupt routine in 1 cycle.
It turned out to be true, although only for interrupt handlers like TLB-
miss handlers that need few registers.

Vernon Schryver
vjs@sgi.com