[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] looking for old dusty RFCs & working on anonymous FTP RFC

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (08/27/90)

I'm searching for a complete set of RFCs, including the real old
ones from the early 1970's.  In particular, I'd like to be pointed
to a place where I can get copies of all of the RFCs mentioned in
Appendix III of RFC 959, "RFCs on FTP".

What I'm trying to do is to gather historical material for an RFC
on anonymous FTP.  RFC 959 doesn't talk about where the convention
of specifying "anonymous" as a password comes from, nor was there
anything that I could easily dredge up in any other RFC that I have
found.  Any relevant ephemera which would help me pin down how things
have changed and developed over time would be most welcome.

--Ed

Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
moderator, comp.archives

clements@bbn.com (Bob Clements) (08/27/90)

emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:

>What I'm trying to do is to gather historical material for an RFC
>on anonymous FTP.  RFC 959 doesn't talk about where the convention
>of specifying "anonymous" as a password comes from, nor was there
>anything that I could easily dredge up in any other RFC that I have
>found.

To the best of my knowledge, I invented the use of "anonymous"
as a username (not as a password).  This was in the FTP server for
TENEX in the NCP (pre-TCP) days.  Probably late in 1972.

The implementation was simple.  You could read (or write) any
file that was world-readable (writable) in the file system.  The
server logged all transactions, for both anonymous and "real"
users.  It logged the passwords used by "anonymous", which were
supposed to be real user idents so one could contact the user if
he was having problems.

There was a configuration file and there had to actually be a
username "anonymous" in the system password file, otherwise the
FTP feature was disabled.  So sites that didn't like the idea
didn't need to have it turned on.

This was largely as a debugging and testing aid.  Us early FTP
implementors could test against each other's implementations
without needing to actually get a password on every machine.
(Machines weren't all Unixes in those days, so there were lots of
implementations and lots of word lengths and lots of file types.)
Other users found it useful, too, so we left it in.

Another feature added in that version was a "NUL" device.
Reading from it gave you a megabit of data, for speed testing.

In those days there were only a half dozen sites on the ARPANET
and security was not a big problem.  We joked that anyone who
could spell "anonymous" was probably OK.  A simpler time.

>--Ed
>Edward Vielmetti, U of Michigan math dept <emv@math.lsa.umich.edu>
>moderator, comp.archives

Bob Clements, K1BC, clements@bbn.com   (w) 617-873-3612

PADLIPSKY@A.ISI.EDU (Michael Padlipsky) (08/29/90)

Bob--

What a relief.  Here all these years I'd been feeling vaguely guilty about
"Anonymous FTP", having gotten the impression somewhere along the line that
one of the TENEX jocks at the NIC had done it as a generalization of the
USER NETML, PASS NETML trick I'd invented in RFC 491 to let netmail be
"free" but still accounted for, and now I find you willing to take the blame--
er, uh, credit.  (I could still swear the line about anybody who could spell
"anonymous" was OK was one of mine, though.)

One thing does bother me: if you had the anonymous trick in the arsenal at
the time, why didn't you make "sndmsg" try it when it got the "You must
login first" code from Multics's Server FTP, instead of making me go off
and come up with RFC 491?  Not that I'm disputing your "priority" to the
invention of Anonymous FTP, of course, just wondering.  (I think the timing's
off for you to have been the one who generalized the canned-account-for-mail
gambit if you were using anonymous for EARLY debugging, so presumably it
wasn't the case that anonymous wasn't in the arsenal at the time and I'm
still off the hook.)

cheers, map
-------