[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Setting Netmask Subnet bits on AT&T machine using TWG TCP/IP

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (08/29/90)

In article <9008281051.AA19113@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> CSSNET@NUSDISCS.BITNET writes:
>I am working on a AT&T 3B/4000 machine running on UNIX SYS V Rel 3.1.5.
>We are currently running ENHANCED TCP/IP WIN/3B Rel 2.1.1.
>
>We are using a Class B internet address, and we would like to set our subnet
>mask to 255.255.255.0 instead of the default 255.255.0.0.

You have my sympathy; the release 2.x WIN code for 3B systems doesn't support
subnetting.  Ifconfig, BTW, is in /usr/etc.  The first 3B release from Wollongong
supporting subnets is release 3; the current version on the 3b2 line is 3.0.1.
I do not know if an upgrade is available for the '4000.

						Bob Halloran
Internet: rkh@mtune.dptg.att.com		UUCP: att!mtune!rkh
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "How do you know when a politician is lying?  His lips move."
	- M-m-max Headroom
       "Read my lips - no new taxes..."  - G. Bush, 1988

CSSNET@NUSDISCS.BITNET (08/29/90)

S O S !!!

I am working on a AT&T 3B/4000 machine running on UNIX SYS V Rel 3.1.5.
We are currently running ENHANCED TCP/IP WIN/3B Rel 2.1.1.

We are using a Class B internet address, and we would like to set our subnet
mask to 255.255.255.0 instead of the default 255.255.0.0.

I am quite surprised that our WIN/TCP package does not have the "ifconfig"
command, although the "route" command is included. Or have I missed anything?

Thus, I wonder if it is possible to set the subnet mask without the "ifconfig"
command.

Had anyone encountered this problem?  If so, please reply directly to my
BITNET address, as I am not monitoring this list.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Tan Hsiao Wei
Department of Information Systems and Computer Science
National University of Singapore
BITNET: tanhw@nusdiscs.bitnet
     or tanhw%nusdiscs.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu