[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Summary: TCP/IP/Ethernet Protocol Analyzer - which to buy

chris@yarra.oz.au (Chris Jankowski) (08/30/90)

Original question:

>I need a TCP/IP/Ethernet protocol analyzer for general troubleshooting
>work in multivendor enviroment. It must be portable as I often work at
>customer sites. It must also be good at decoding protocols. I don't
>want to spend months ploughing through rims of hex dumps.

I should have probably stressed that I am not particularly interested
in network management, monitoring and collecting statistics.

I received about 15 responses - many thanks. It seems that nearly every
available solution is a class of its own which is an obvious sign that
the market is not mature yet.

1. Sniffer from Network General
===============================

   Shines where ease of use and high quality decodes are at premium.
   Also very good intuitive user interface and very good presentation
   of decoded packets.
   Expensive. No traffic generation.

   (This is my choice - I need to work fast and deliver results quickly.
   Decodes and presentation are crucial. I do not need generate packets
   nor am I concerned with performance tests)

dhs@hpctdlb.hp.com - Don Schoenecker writes:
 Best feature - Ease of use. "windows" interface.
 Limited functionallity for testing, but very good decodes.
 Decodes available for most protocols.
 New Ethernet stats package.
 Ethernet, Token Ring, Arcnet, Starlan interfaces

ccc121e@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au - Dave Schwarz writes:
 The other thing to check is how you buy it, we just bought the card and soft
 ware and put it in a t3200 we had, which saved us about $7000 for a start.

lars@spectrum.cmc.com - Lars Poulsen writes:
 If you have used a Sniffer, you'll never be happy with a lowend monitor.
 If you can't afford the Sniffer, you'll learn to live with what you can
 afford.

2. HP LANalyzer - model HP4972A
===============================

   A class of its own. Highest speed, great packet generator (programmable).
   Expensive.

dhs@hpctdlb.hp.com - Don Schoenecker writes:
 Best feature - Performance is designed to be able to handle the
 worst case situations and still offer full functionallity.
 stats are the best there is. Ethernet performance ananlysis
 is complete and has many graphical displays. TCP/IP and DECnet
 performance analysis allow measurements of throughput,
 response times, lost packets, and other items for the network
 and transport protocols. (The only analyzer with the capability :-)
 Traffic generation - 16 messages completely definable, for
 easy stimulus response testing with programs.
 There is a "syntax directed" programming language. It uses
 softkeys and is very straight forward. Useful for active testing
 like sending ping messages and counting or timing events.
 Good decodes - XNS, Novell, TCP/IP, NFS, DECnet, OSI
 Ethernet and Starlan interfaces

tmallory@bbn.com - Tracy Mallory writes:
The HP is the ONLY analyzer that can keep up, 100%, with anything being
transmitted up to the maximum capacity of the wire, in real-time.  It can tell
you if that the average traffic is 10,373 pps: most others top out around 3000
pps.
The HP's buffer for storing packets is average: like all(most?) of them, it
will store back-to-back packets until the buffer is filled.
The HP's transmitter and receiver are essentially independent.
The HP has support for 16 full-size, fully specified packets for transmission.
   Most other analyzers only allow 1 packet for transmission, and many do not
   allow you to specify the full contents of the packet(I think one allows
   more packets, but not fully specifed=zero padded).
The maximum packet transmission rate is about 10k packets per second, which is
slightly lower than the Excelan product, but respectable.  It will tell you
exactly what the traffic rate is while transmitting at this rate.  The Excelan
product was very difficult to use(and I think could only send a single, not
fully specified, packet at high speed).
You can write simple programs with loops, received packet matching, counters,
timers, and sending of the predefined test packets.
The packet decoding on the HP is an extra package.  You should look at a
current version to see if it suits your needs.
The packet filtering is pretty good, though not quite as general as some of the
others(though I think it can look at ANY byte in the packet).
If your operation gets large enough, a Sniffer and an HP make a good
combination.

3. LANWatch from FTP Software.
==============================

   Software package to be used with a standard card in a standard PC.
   Very good value for money if you can live with it or you cannot afford
   the two above. The software costs some 6% of the price of a full Sniffer
   set. Maybe good choice if you do not do anything fancy and already have
   a 386 portable with an Ethernet card.
   Several checks are missing in decodes (like eg. checking of checksums)
   and presentation is nowhere near that of a Sniffer full display mode.

jbvb@ftp.com - James B. VanBokkelen writes:
Our performance depends on the speed of the PC and network interface
you use.  On a 20Mhz 386 with an Interlan NI5210 interface, I've
benchmarked LANWatch capturing bursts of 200 packets (the board can
only buffer 40 or so) at a rate of 6300 pps (at 60 bytes long, this
represents 40% of the bandwidth).  The long-term average capture rate
is normally bound by the display, which can only handle on the order
of 100-180 pps.  Filtering is done on the board wherever possible,
and I've never seen a situation on our in-house net where a LANWatch
with a filter set up missed any of the desired packets, unless the
long-term rate of packets passing the filter was more than the screen
could handle.
If you want a traffic generator, we don't have one.  If you want
menus as a user interface, you'll prefer the Sniffer, otherwise you
may prefer us.  We include all the protocol parsing source code in
the basic price.  We provide source for the off-line analysis tools.
The parsing tree and filtering we ship are pretty complete for IP,
XNS, Banyan VINES, Ethertalk and 802.2/CLNP/TP, less so for Netware
and DECNet.  We don't parse ISO session or above, or SNA.  We have an
SMB parser, but we only invoke it where we know how SMB is
encapsulated on a particular transport - if you know details of SMB
over 'x', adding it is likely to be pretty simple.

4. Excalan (Novell) LANalyzer
=============================
   I went through a demo diskette and was not impressed with the quality
   off decodes. Also expensive. Monitoring oriented.

dhs@hpctdlb.hp.com - Don Schoenecker writes:
 Best feature - Good general purpose package. Better
 than other PC analyzers for performance.
 Good Decodes
 Medium Ethernet stats
 Ethernet and Starlan interfaces

5. Spider Systems, Spider monitor
=================================
   I went through a demo diskette and was not impressed with the quality
   off decodes. Also expensive. Monitoring oriented. Supports remote slave
   monitoring stations.

dhs@hpctdlb.hp.com - Don Schoenecker writes:
 Best feature - multi tasking within a PC. It does
 not tie up you PC while it does network measurements.
 Good Ethernet stats, medium decodes.
 Ethernet and Token Ring interfaces

6. HP LanProbe - Network segment monitor.

dhs@hpctdlb.hp.com - Don Schoenecker writes:
 Best feature - Remote monitoring of network operations.
 Good Ethernet stats.
 Network mapping (physical location of devices)
 Limited decodes
 (There are other devices similar to this, but I do not know details.)
 i.e. Excelan (Novell) LanTern, and one the runs on a vax.

7. ????? from Cabletron.
========================

sung@mcnc.org - Wayne Sung writes:
I just looked at a unit by Cabletron. The decode is actually better than
Network General.  However, the software is so new (the hardware is a modified
ethernet board that Intel already sells) that many features are missing.
Given time, this should be a good product.

8. Public domain (PC based) software:
=====================================

sung@mcnc.org - Wayne Sung writes:
The low end jobs like MIT Netwatch are useful for spotting grossly out
of line situations, as well as for new installations where you wonder
if any packets are getting out at all. What you live with is that if
you use the pc to process anything it will not do much above about
20 packets a second (the other commercial units do all the work with
on-board processors and use the pc as a console terminal and/or long
term storage). We keep some Netwatches running mostly to catch total
stoppages. There is enough decode in Netwatch to see some idea of what
is happening but you could not troubleshoot any protocol related
problems with it.

9. Workstation based solutions - those are not portable yet (:-)).
==============================

jmccabe@orville.nas.nasa.gov - Jim McCabe writes:
NetVisualiser
Silicon Graphics now has a protocol analyzer that has a very good graphical
interface and can do some network monitoring as well.  It sells for around
$25K in the U.S., and is superior to the other systems I have used (Sniffer,
Lanalyzer, HP, NNStat).  It may also be the platform for a more complete
SNMP-based network management system.  Another benefit is that you get
a workstation with it - and a fairly powerful one at that.  This system
also has remote monitoring stations which allow you to have one or more
displays that are at fixed locations (like your desk) and several monitors
at strategic points in your network (or your customers' networks).  Thus
you dont have to move the display around, as you do with the Sniffer or
Lanalyzer.

sung@mcnc.org - Wayne Sung writes:
...Any upper layer decoding can be done on a workstation (in fact tcpdump
on a Sun decodes a whole lot better than any of them). These workstation
based products also give a different kind of portability, since there
should be more of them.

Has anybody heard about this software? I only know Etherfind from Sun.

To be fair I did omit one response from gmdzi!koepke@relay.eu.net as
their product called Ethenex does not have any protocol decoding
capabilities.

Again many thanks to all respondents and I hope that this summary will
help others to make their choices.

      -m-------   Chris Jankowski - Senior Systems Engineer chris@yarra.oz{.au}
    ---mmm-----   Pyramid Technology Corporation Pty. Ltd.  fax  +61 3 820 0536
  -----mmmmm---   11th Floor, 14 Queens Road                tel. +61 3 820 0711
-------mmmmmmm-   Melbourne, Victoria, 3004       AUSTRALIA       (03) 820 0711

"Knowing how things work is the basis for appreciation,
and is thus a source of civilized delight."  -- William Safire

fstop@mtunf.ATT.COM (Paul Hanson) (08/30/90)

Have you heard of or seen the product called LANCE from an outfit named Micro
Tech? I am evaluating remote monitoring systems. This is the best one I've seen
so far. They just came out to give me a slide show. I intend to see and perhaps
buy one in the near future.

I need to centrally monitor a number of Ethernet LANs around the country.
There are many products that have the excellent statistics, topology maps,
reports etc. but which are designed to operate with a specific vendors bridges
or routers (e.g. Vitalink WAN Manager, Wellfleet's SNMP NMS, Cabletron,
Racal Interlan's LANCentral). There are only a few that have been designed
to use their own monitoring probe. Micro Tech is the only one that I know of
that has announced product. They just started shipping their product,
LANCE, in June.

the LANCE network management station software wants to run on a high res,
color graphics workstation with a multitasking operating system (e.g. SUN
SPARCstation 1+). You can contact the company directly. In Anaheim, CA,
their number is 800-999-9MTI or 714-970-0300.

Paul Hanson
AT&T Bell Labs
West Long Branch, NJ
(201) 870-7559