[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SLIP & Routing

ron@afsg.apple.com (Ron Flax) (08/24/90)

What is the proper way to set up routing for a SLIP link on a Class C
network.  Suppose the network number is 192.33.20 and the SLIP link is
between a SLIP server at 192.33.20.201 and a SLIP client at
192.33.20.202.  Also suppose that the server has an ethernet
interface at address 192.33.20.4 and can talk to a gateway at
192.33.20.1 to get to the outside world over that interface.

What should the routes be on the SLIP server and client machines so
that traffic from the client can pass to the ethernet side and beyond
of the server machine?

Do I need to setup a netmask? and if so what would be
reasonable in this case?

Thanks in advance.

--
Ron Flax
ron@afsg.apple.com

mwp@ubeaut.oz.au (Michael Paddon) (08/30/90)

From article <425@afsg.apple.com>, by ron@afsg.apple.com (Ron Flax):
> What is the proper way to set up routing for a SLIP link on a Class C
> network.  Suppose the network number is 192.33.20 and the SLIP link is
> between a SLIP server at 192.33.20.201 and a SLIP client at
> 192.33.20.202.  Also suppose that the server has an ethernet
> interface at address 192.33.20.4 and can talk to a gateway at
> 192.33.20.1 to get to the outside world over that interface.
>
> What should the routes be on the SLIP server and client machines so
> that traffic from the client can pass to the ethernet side and beyond
> of the server machine?
>
> Do I need to setup a netmask? and if so what would be
> reasonable in this case?

[This question probably shouldn't be in this newsgroup]

On client:
	route add default 192.33.20.201 1

On server:
	route add default 192.33.20.1 1

This assumes the client's only network connection is the SLIP link.
You will want the server machine to know all about local hosts (via
BIND or Hesiod preferably) and the gateway to know about whatever foreign
hosts you want to talk to.

No you don't need to setup a netmask.

					Michael

|                     |     EasyNet:  meo78b::paddon              |
|                     |     Internet: paddon@meo78b.enet.dec.com  |
|  Michael Paddon     |     ACSnet:   mwp@ubeaut.oz.au            |
|                     |     ACSnet:   mwp@munnari.oz.au           |
|                     |     Voice:    +61 3 895 9392              |

mwp@ubeaut.oz.au (Michael Paddon) (09/03/90)

In article <168@ubeaut.oz.au>, mwp@ubeaut.oz.au (Michael Paddon) writes:
> On client:
> 	route add default 192.33.20.201 1
>
> On server:
> 	route add default 192.33.20.1 1

I forgot to handle packets being routed from the outside world
towards the client (mostly because I tend to set up most nodes
to be invisible to the outside world for security reasons).

Anyway, credit where due... Here is the additional information as
provided to me:

= Date: Thu, 30 Aug 90 07:09:38 PDT
= From: root@afsg.apple.com (System Owner)
= To: mwp@ubeaut.oz.au
= Subject: Re: SLIP & Routing
= Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip
=
= In order for other hosts/gateways to see the client machine
= on a Class C network you must set up a proxy arp for the
= client at the ethernet address of the server machine's
= ethernet interface.  Otherwise remote hosts/gateways won't
= know how to route packets destined to the SLIP client.

> [This question probably shouldn't be in this newsgroup]

I had about four people mail me and say "where should it be then?".
My newsgroups file says:
	comp.protocols.tcp-ip		TCP and IP protocols.
Thus, my off the cuff comment questioning whether the setup of SLIP
routing really fits into a discussion of protocols. Personally I don't
care where people post anyway.