[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Configuration Test Protocol

ellozy@FARBER.HARVARD.EDU (Mohamed Ellozy) (09/09/90)

What is the Configuration Test Protocol, a thingie that uses ethernet type
09000 packets?  Is it documented in any RFC?  How useful is it?  Is it a
kind of ethernet ping?

Many thanks.

Mohamed

PS:  If it is a sort of Ethernet ping, I would suggest calling the program
that uses it PENG (Packet EtherNet Groper)!

spurgeon@.uucp (Charles E. Spurgeon) (09/10/90)

In article <9009090206.AA01032@farber.harvard.edu> ellozy@FARBER.HARVARD.EDU (Mohamed Ellozy) writes:
>What is the Configuration Test Protocol, a thingie that uses ethernet type
>09000 packets?  Is it documented in any RFC?  How useful is it?  Is it a
>kind of ethernet ping?

Yes, it is a sort of Ethernet ping.  You'll find it documented in the
DIX Ethernet spec, Version 2.0 (access info below).  Basically it
allows Ethernet controllers to reply to test packets, and to forward
test packets on to another controller.

The Test Protocol was dropped from the IEEE802.3 spec, and you will
not find much support for it today.  The major exception is DEC.  DEC
has included support for this protocol in many of their Ethernet
controllers.

Here's how to get a copy of the DIX spec:

Ethernet Local Area Network Specification  Version
2.0. November, 1982
Digital Equipment Corporation, Intel  Corporation,
Xerox Corporation, 103 pps.
$32.00.
DEC  Part  Number:  AA-K759B-TK.   Available  from
DEC-Direct by calling 800-344-4825.

Charles Spurgeon                     |                                  |
UTnet Network Information Center     | spurgeon@emx.utexas.edu          |
University of Texas at Austin        | ...!cs.utexas.edu!ut-emx!spurgeon|