[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Network Monitors

david@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu (09/09/90)

I have a network here on campus which ranges from TCP/IP to Novell and I am
interested in monitoring and recording the usage and load statistics.  I
would like to see what the network load is at different times of the day and
what machines monopolize the networks time.  I would also like to know what
services are being used, but I don't believe that can be done at this level.
With this information I would be able to determine if a particular branch of
my network should be isolated by another bridge, for example.  It would also
aid in allowing me to improve the over-all performance by distributing the
network load to machines throughout the network.  I have tools such as the
Network General Sniffer, but it doesn't have the memory or power to accommodate
such a large volume of data and give the information I need.  Does anyone
anywhere know of such a package or combination of packages that would
be able to do this?  Thanks for any help....

					Dave
--
david@po.cwru.edu            *  Eagle  *      David Nerenberg
73107,177 Compuserve        * Computers *     Information Network Services

allan@frisbee.cisco.com (Allan Leinwand) (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep8.194549.25555@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>,
david@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu writes:
|> I have a network here on campus which ranges from TCP/IP to Novell and I am
|> interested in monitoring and recording the usage and load statistics.  I
|> would like to see what the network load is at different times of the
day and
|> what machines monopolize the networks time.

Hello Dave,

   We here at cisco Systems have a network management package that can
help you
find the load on various devices throughout the network and store this
information in a database.  Of course, you  must have an SNMP agent on all the
devices which you care to monitor.  The package is called "NetCentral"
and currently runs on a Sun.

!> I would also like to know what
|> services are being used, but I don't believe that can be done at this
level.

   This is a bit trickier, but provided this information is available
via SNMP, NetCentral can do this for you.  If this information cannot be
retrieved via SNMP, the most efficient way to do this may be using your
Sniffer.  HP has
a protocol analyzer out, called the HP4972, which has software which
does this function for you.  Perhaps you just need the right software
for the Sniffer.

|> I have tools such as the
|> Network General Sniffer, but it doesn't have the memory or power to
accommodate
|> such a large volume of data and give the information I need.  Does anyone
|> anywhere know of such a package or combination of packages that would
|> be able to do this?  Thanks for any help....

   Again, our NetCentral may have the power you need,  It can run  on a
SparcStation and this should give you the ummph in processing you
desire.  Further, it's relational database can store as much data as you want.

   Please contact us at customer-service@cisco.com or 1-415-326-1941

Thanks,

Allan Leinwand
cisco Systems
leinwand@cisco.com

jlt@la.excelan.com (Jeff Turner) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep8.194549.25555@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> david@cwlim.INS.CWRU.Edu () writes:
>I have a network here on campus which ranges from TCP/IP to Novell and I am
>interested in monitoring and recording the usage and load statistics.  I
>would like to see what the network load is at different times of the day and
>what machines monopolize the networks time.  I would also like to know what
>services are being used, but I don't believe that can be done at this level.
>With this information I would be able to determine if a particular branch of
>my network should be isolated by another bridge, for example.  It would also
>aid in allowing me to improve the over-all performance by distributing the
>network load to machines throughout the network.  I have tools such as the
>Network General Sniffer, but it doesn't have the memory or power to accommodate
>such a large volume of data and give the information I need.  Does anyone
>anywhere know of such a package or combination of packages that would
>be able to do this?  Thanks for any help....

Dave,

  Perhaps, you would like to consider a remote network monitor device such
as Novell's LANtern.  In general, network monitors perform tasks such as:

		*  monitoring vital statistics
		*  sending alarms when vital stat thresholds are exceeded
		*  sending alarms when common problems are detected
		*  gathering long-term trending information
		*  providing station and conversation analysis

  The LANtern relays this information back to a central SNMP-based network
management console.  It was to designed to accomodate any size network and be
independent of the protocols used on the network.  The LANtern works with
practically any SNMP-based network management console but you may want
to consider consoles that provide a nice user interface for the product.

  You may also want to check out network monitoring products from companies
such as Micro Technology, ACC, HP, and TEC.

  For more information on our products you can call 1-800-243-8526.

>					Dave
>--
>david@po.cwru.edu            *  Eagle  *      David Nerenberg
>73107,177 Compuserve        * Computers *     Information Network Services
>NY:  H-516-751-6344        * Electronics *    Case Western Reserve University
>     W-516-751-8111       * Sound & Stage *   W-216-368-2982   H-216-754-2043

    Jeff Turner
    Novell, Inc.
    (408) 473-8287
    email: jlt@novell.com