[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] LAN Manager and UNIX

ingea@IFI.UIO.NO (Inge Arnesen) (09/12/90)

Today, years after the release of OS/2 and LAN Manager, som people believe
that LAN Manager will become _the_ network standard for interoperability
between DOS, OS/2 and UNIX boxes, and also take a big chunk of the
UNIX to UNIX market within the next 3 years!

This is suppose to happen on all levels:

 - Named pipes will replace TLI & sockets. RPC-libs will be based on named
   pipes.

 - File sharing will replace NFS (and RFS :-).

 - Printer sharing will replace the braindead UNIX remote lpd.

 - LAN Manager autentication will become the standard security and
   autentication system.

The event that is supposed to trigger this drastic change is the release of
the portable LAN Manager server (LMX) which is due in Desember.

I must admit that LAN Manager have superior solutions to some the solutions
available on UNIX today, but I can't see how LM can get a grip on the UNIX
market this late.  LM is a something that grew out of the MS DOS (and later
OS/2) world, which is not regarded as kosher among UNIX people, and it does not
offer any great leap in functionality compared to what we have on UNIX today.

I would like arguments for and against LM as a standard taking marked shares
OUTSIDE the DOS / OS/2 environments, and I welcome both well founded
arguments as well as statements like : "I don't like the feel of the API..".

Have any UNIX vendors said how they will relate to LM ?
If only Microsoft and PC SW vendors support LM, LM will probably remain
in the PC world.......

Inge (BoB)  { ingea@ifi.uio.no }
==   Inge Arnesen, University of Oslo, Norway.                         ==
==                                                                     ==

gla@nixpbe.UUCP (R. Glaschick) (09/12/90)

In <CMM.0.88.653076397.ingea@svarte.ifi.uio.no> ingea@IFI.UIO.NO (Inge Arnesen) writes:

>Have any UNIX vendors said how they will relate to LM ?
>If only Microsoft and PC SW vendors support LM, LM will probably remain
>in the PC world.......

Siemens Nixdorf has ported LM/X to Targon and MX machines and will sell
and support it as a product ASAP.
(Depends on final release, testing, licence etc).
The first release will to my knowledge aimed towards PCs (DOS & OS/2) linked
to a Targon or MX, and not so much for UNIX to UNIX links.

--
Rainer Glaschick, NIXDORF Computer AG, Paderborn, W-Germany
EMail: glaschick.pad@nixdorf.com (US) or  glaschick.pad@nixdorf.de (EU)

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (09/12/90)

In a recent article ingea@IFI.UIO.NO (Inge Arnesen) writes:

[On Lan Manager/X...]

>Have any UNIX vendors said how they will relate to LM ?
>If only Microsoft and PC SW vendors support LM, LM will probably remain
>in the PC world.......

At least AT&T, HP and DG supports Lan Manager/X under their respective
UNIX implementations.

--
Robert Claeson                  |Reasonable mailers: rclaeson@erbe.se
ERBE DATA AB                    |      Dumb mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@sunet.se
                                |  Perverse mailers: rclaeson%erbe.se@encore.com
These opinions reflect my personal views and not those of my employer (ask him).