[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] SynOptics compatability

702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET (bill gunshannon) (09/11/90)

I have a question for any SynOptics users out there.
I currently have a building wired using SynOptics 1000's and UTP.
We plan to extend the network to other building on Campus and wanted to
do it using Fiber.  Does anyone know if the Fiber connections on a SynOptics
1000 (a 201-ST board) are compatable with the newer 3000 series
concentrators??  If not, I can still get around it, but the configuration
will change considerably.

Can anyone shed any light on this subject?  Is SynOptics on the net anywhere?

                                          bill gunshannon
                                       702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET

pcaloca@synoptics.COM (Paul Caloca) (09/12/90)

In article <9009112007.AA08799@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, 702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET (bill gunshannon) writes:
> I have a question for any SynOptics users out there.
> I currently have a building wired using SynOptics 1000's and UTP.
> We plan to extend the network to other building on Campus and wanted to
> do it using Fiber.  Does anyone know if the Fiber connections on a SynOptics
> 1000 (a 201-ST board) are compatable with the newer 3000 series
> concentrators??  If not, I can still get around it, but the configuration
> will change considerably.
>
> Can anyone shed any light on this subject?  Is SynOptics on the net anywhere?
>
>                                           bill gunshannon
>                                        702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET

The 201-ST board has been discontinued for over well a year and is not
compatible with the 3000 concentrator. The 201-ST uses a proprietary
fiber transmission protocol while all 3000 series fiber modules use
the Fiber Optic Inter-Repeater Link (FOIRL) industry standard protocol.
The 504 fiber optic transceiver also uses FOIRL and cannot be used
with the 201-ST. The best option is to upgrade your 201-ST board to a
207-ST FOIRL Retiming Module if retiming is used in that concentrator
or use a 208-ST Termination Module if only backplane termination is
required.

Paul Caloca			| "Minds are like parachutes -
Technical Support		|  they ony function when open."
SynOptics Communications	|
Mountain View, CA		|==================== Thomas Dewar
Email:  Paul_Caloca.SALES@engtwomac.synoptics.com
UUCP: ...!ames.arc.nasa.gov!synoptics.com!engtwomac!Paul_Caloca.SALES
FAX: 415-964-0407

martin@hq.af.mil (Gregory.J.Martin) (09/13/90)

In article <9009112007.AA08799@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET (bill gunshannon) writes:
>I have a question for any SynOptics users out there.
>I currently have a building wired using SynOptics 1000's and UTP.
>  Does anyone know if the Fiber connections on a SynOptics
>1000 (a 201-ST board) are compatable with the newer 3000 series
>concentrators??  If not, I can still get around it, but the configuration
>will change considerably.
>
>Can anyone shed any light on this subject?  Is SynOptics on the net anywhere?
>
>                                          bill gunshannon
>                                       702WFG@SCRVMSYS.BITNET

The fiber connections on both these products are identical.  I went to a
design class run by SynOptics (okay, it was a glorified sales pitch!) and we
combined both product line together all the time.  I'll be their engineers
will say the same thing.  Just make sure you get the right type of fiber
connectors for the concentrator on that end of the "wire" and all should run
fine.  We love our SynOptics, especially their Network Management Control
Console.  It saves us a lot of debug time!!  If you have any questions e-mail
me at martin@hq.af.mil.

...Greg Martin (No, The Air Force won't allow me to speak their mind!!)