[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Hughes LAT TCP/IP server crashes with task stack overflow error

mccurdy@ucselx.sdsu.edu (mccurdy m) (09/19/90)

From: mccurdy@ucselx.sdsu.edu (mccurdy m)
Newsgroups: comp.protocols.tcp-ip.
Subject: Problem with Hughes terminal server task stack overflow crash

	Anyone having a problem with a hughes terminal server crashing with
a task stack overflow error. We are.

	I believe our server is running the most recent version of software.
Don't know the model number, but it runs both LAT and TCP/IP.

	If anyone has an interest in this, I can provide additional info
after talking to our network person. This problem has only been noticed
when dialing in via modem, but that is the only way that we are using these
servers.

-mike

--
Mike McCurdy               *  mccurdy@ucselx.sdsu.edu *

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (09/20/90)

> 	Anyone having a problem with a hughes terminal server crashing with
> a task stack overflow error. We are.

I had  Hughes terminal server for tryout and saw the same problem twice.
I wasn't using dialin with modems, either, just two terminals.  I would
like to see someone say (truthfully :-) that Hughes has fixed this, because
I liked the server quite a bit (we have lots of terminals on Hughes (nee
Sytek) LocalNet boxes, and the command sets are very similar.

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

mccurdy@ucselx.sdsu.edu (mccurdy m) (09/20/90)

In article <3125@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:

	re: hughes servers crashing with task stack overflow on
	dial-in modems>servers>vms or unix ...

>I had  Hughes terminal server for tryout and saw the same problem twice.
>I wasn't using dialin with modems, either, just two terminals.  I would
>like to see someone say (truthfully :-) that Hughes has fixed this, because
>I liked the server quite a bit (we have lots of terminals on Hughes (nee
>Sytek) LocalNet boxes, and the command sets are very similar.

	This hasn't been fixed for us and we are taking quite a bit of heat
from users - needless to say.

	Hughes is working with us on this problem and I've also heard from a
representative as a result of the original posting. I've also heard from one
other person that is having a similar problem.

	We were also interested in the servers because of the Sytek Localnet
connections.

	Will post the conclusion.

By the way - what happens is: something happens that causes the server to crash
with a "task stack overflow" error, everyone on that server gets knocked off,
and the server reloads. It seems to happen on all of the servers, we havn't been
able to connect the crashes to any particular event. Hughes has provided us witha sniffer to assist in the detective work.

-mike

--

From article <1990Sep19.175648.17632@ucselx.sdsu.edu>, by mccurdy@ucselx.sdsu.edu (mccurdy m):
> By the way - what happens is: something happens that causes the server to crash
> with a "task stack overflow" error, everyone on that server gets knocked off,
> and the server reloads. It seems to happen on all of the servers, we havn't been
> able to connect the crashes to any particular event. Hughes has provided us witha sniffer to assist in the detective work.

When I saw the problem, the crash occurred and the server reset.  The next day
it happened again, but the crash reoccurred every few minutes.  I got annoyed,
turned it off, turned it back on the next day and (of course) never saw the
problem again.  But by then I had switched the active terminals back to the
LocalNet and was not using the server for any "real" work.
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

salzman@NMS.HLS.COM (Mike Salzman) (09/20/90)

Hi Mike,
	The problem you cited has been seen at a couple of sites.  The message
was issued by the OS in the server when stack space underflowed.  It is not
a bug in the sense of a software error, rather it seems to occur at a few
sites, on some of their segments.  The traffic mix or volume is related to
this symptom.  For that reason we have lent you a Sniffer and are interested
in characterizing your traffic.

	Problems of this type, particularly when they cause a widespread
interruption of service to users, are of urgent concern to us, and will be
addressed immediately.  You have already been contacted by engineering to
set up a connection to a server.  Your cooperation in gathering data and
communicating the results, configurations and analyses is appreciated and
will help us to resolve your problem.

--
Michael M. Salzman  Voice (415) 966-7479  Fax (415)960-3738