[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] PC/TCP tnvt product with 8bits characters codes ?

pnoe@dg13.cec.be (Pierre Noel) (09/20/90)

Hi Netland,

For the time being, I have been requested to test some TCP/IP packages on PC to correctly negociate with our Unix servers.

I found that PC/TCP seems to meet part of our request except that it needs a
special file to remap keyboard scan codes to output character codes. More, once I've made that file and tested the connection, I found that the tnvt program, inVT220 mode (7 or 8 bit mode), strips the 8th bit of the sent caracter. The contrary is not true : an 8-bit character sent from the application to the Telnet
screen is well received.

Am I wrong, Have I made a stupid mistake or is it a well known problem ?
I havn't found documentation on that problem on my pc/tcp books. It is for us
quite a big problem due to the enormous use of the enhanced caracters in our    european languages (except English...of course).

Thank you for your responses ...

By the way, If you know other products working on PC and giving coherent
VT220 or ANSI emulation (No Excelan nor PC/NFS Telnet : I found them non-suita- ble for European emulations).

Thank you for your attention.

					Pierre Noel

goggi@rhi.hi.is (Gardar Georg Nielsen) (09/21/90)

In <1990Sep20.160435.3617@dg13.cec.be> pnoe@dg13.cec.be (Pierre Noel) writes:

>Hi Netland,

>For the time being, I have been requested to test some TCP/IP packages on PC to correctly negociate with our Unix servers.

>By the way, If you know other products working on PC and giving coherent
>VT220 or ANSI emulation (No Excelan nor PC/NFS Telnet : I found them non-suita- ble for European emulations).

Here in at the University of Iceland we are using patched version of
PC-NFS Telnet which is 8bit transparent and translates between the PC character
set and ISO 8859/1.
If anyone is interested I coul'd make it available.

goggi@rhi.hi.is

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (09/21/90)

    I found that PC/TCP seems to meet part of our request except that it needs
    a special file to remap keyboard scan codes to output character codes.

There are two files; one to change what input data individual keys generate,
and one to change what received data displays on the screen.  They're only
needed for non-Ascii alphabets.

    ... I found that the tnvt program, in VT220 mode (7 or 8 bit mode), strips
    the 8th bit of the sent caracter.

If we're the ones who strip the 8th bit when Telnet Binary is in effect,
that is our bug (but I just tested 2.04 pl2; it sends 8 bit data fine).
However, if the host you're talking to won't agree to Binary, or strips
the 8th bit itself, that's not under our control.  You need a LAN monitor
of some sort to prove who's at fault.

Problems relating to 8-bit telnet support are common: There are operating
systems which haven't a prayer of handling 8-bit data in a useful way.
Some other OSes can manage 8-bit data from a locally connected terminal
well but their Telnets can't handle Binary, or don't map it to the right
pseudo-tty mode.  Finally, there are applications that make rash
assumptions about the data path to their terminal, etc.  You're not doing
too badly, considering...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901