[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] Packet Drivers over UB NIUpc card

bas@moria.Sp.Unisys.Com (Brian Strop) (09/22/90)

I am trying to use the Clarkson packet drivers with an Ungermann-Bass
NIUpc adapter.  My attempts are failing miserably.  Each time I specify
(invoke) the packet driver (via ubnic 0x60 0x4 0xc800) my PC hangs and
I have to power it off to get control back (I do get the message 'Packet
driver loaded at xxxx' before it hangs).  Is any one out there using the
packet drivers with the UB NIUpc card?  Can it be done?  Thanks in advance
for any help.

B. Strop
--
Brian A. Strop				(612) 687-2709
UNISYS					bas%moria@atc.sp.unisys.com

jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) (09/23/90)

In article <562@moria.Sp.Unisys.Com> bas@moria.Sp.Unisys.Com (Brian Strop) writes:
>I am trying to use the Clarkson packet drivers with an Ungermann-Bass
>NIUpc adapter.  My attempts are failing miserably.  Each time I specify
>(invoke) the packet driver (via ubnic 0x60 0x4 0xc800) my PC hangs and
>I have to power it off to get control back (I do get the message 'Packet
>driver loaded at xxxx' before it hangs).  Is any one out there using the
>packet drivers with the UB NIUpc card?  Can it be done?  Thanks in advance
>for any help.

ubnic.com is for Ungermann's NIC card, not for the NIU card (and therfore
dosn't work on the NIU - it dosn't even work on the NIC-PS2. It only works
on the NIC-ISA).

1. I think Russ mentioned that there was a NIU packet driver in the works, so
you could wait for version 8 of the packet drivers.

2. You can run your packet driver application on top of an NDIS driver via
FTP's dis_pkt (archived on ftp.vax.com). The NDIS driver for the NIU is
available from UB for a charge of $50.

--
 John Robert Breeden,
 netcom!jbreeden@apple.com, apple!netcom!jbreeden, ATTMAIL:!jbreeden

In article <13685@netcom.UUCP> jbreeden@netcom.UUCP (John Breeden) writes:

   1. I think Russ mentioned that there was a NIU packet driver in the
   works, so you could wait for version 8 of the packet drivers.

Nope, a NICps/2 driver is in the air (not the works).  The UB rep in Syracuse
is supposedly sending me the documentation for writing a driver.  Good thing
I haven't been holding my breath...

I suggest you don't hold your breath either.

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson