[net.jobs] An interesting sideline *FACT*

williams@kirk.DEC (John Williams 223-3402) (03/19/86)

In France, there are almost no regulations concerning alcohol. Table
wine is an accepted beverage at the family dinner table. In France,
there also happens to exist one of the lowest alcoholism rates in the
world.
	Now for a question: When are employers going to get hip on
psychology?
						John.

miller@loral.UUCP (David P. Miller) (03/21/86)

In article <1771@decwrl.DEC.COM>, williams@kirk. DEC writes:

>  In France, there are almost no regulations concerning alcohol. Table
>  wine is an accepted beverage at the family dinner table. In France,
>  there also happens to exist one of the lowest alcoholism rates in the
>  world.
>         Now for a question: When are employers going to get hip on
>         psychology?
>                                         John.

That's not the way I hear it, John. From what I've gathered France has the
second highest incidence of alcoholism in the free-world. As a matter of
fact, some years ago I read a Wall Street Journal article which listed France
as having the highest rate of alcoholism for children 10-and-under, in the
world. I have to admit the source is somewhat questionable for the latter
statistic, but I've read of similar figures from other publications, too.

				    Psycologically yours,  BIG DAVE.

--

David P. Miller - Loral Instrumentation.           /    USUAL   \
sdcsvax!sdcc3!loral!miller                         \ DISCLAIMER /

briand@tekig4.UUCP (Brian Diehm) (03/22/86)

In article <1771@decwrl.DEC.COM> williams@kirk.DEC (John Williams 223-3402) writes:
>In France, there are almost no regulations concerning alcohol. Table
>wine is an accepted beverage at the family dinner table. In France,
>there also happens to exist one of the lowest alcoholism rates in the
>world.
>	Now for a question: When are employers going to get hip on
>psychology?
>						John.

These aren't the "facts" I remember.  A few years ago there were TV reports of
widespread alcoholism in France, and widespread use of cheap vintages was
cited as the cause.

Now, I'm not going to say I'm right, as I can't name references, but before
a statement like the original posting is made, the author should be willing
to back up the representations with sources.  I am unwilling to believe what
is being said merely because he said it, since it directly contradicts what
I have heard elsewhere.

I will say by direct observation that the European attitude toward alcohol is
more enlightened, and that having it around in family situations with children
seems to make it less of a big deal when people come of legal age.  However,
I will also say by direct observation that it does not prevent teen-age
drunkenness - rebellion at that age is too strong to be suppressed by en-
lightened attitudes.  The danger of the European attitude however seems to be
more of a tendency to unknowingly slip into a quiet dependency.  Maybe that is
even more insidious, and the original poster of the above article should
consider that as part of a complex problem - more complex than his simplistic
stand above would indicate.

-Brian Diehm
Tektronix, Inc. (expressed opinions are my own and not necessarily Tek's)

hpb@cernvax.UUCP (hpb) (03/22/86)

In article <1771@decwrl.DEC.COM> williams@dec-kirk.UUCP writes:
>In France, there are almost no regulations concerning alcohol. Table
>wine is an accepted beverage at the family dinner table. In France,
>there also happens to exist one of the lowest alcoholism rates in the
>world.
>	Now for a question: When are employers going to get hip on
>psychology?
>						John.

I agree with you as far as saying that alcohol is a very natural part of
every French meal, if you ask for milk at dinner people look at you as
if you are not well. (Water barely makes it).
I would double (tripple) check up on your statistics when it
comes to alcoholism and alcohol related deaths in France, though.
Regretably I do not have access to the "hard statistics" here, but I
am POSITIVELY SURE that your observation of low rate of alcoholism in
France is very wrong - it represents a huge probem.
I have nothing against alcohol if one likes (the effect of) it. In quantity,
over time though it does have an unquestionable effect on most people's
liver, the French's included.

Hans Peter

What I have written above has nothing to do with where I work and,
I tried responding directly to the poster of the above article but
my mail deamon could not find him.  If you are preparing a flame telling
me where this followup actually ought to be posted - save yourself.
I know, and it's not here...

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (03/28/86)

In article <220@ecrcvax.UUCP> snoopy@ecrcvax.UUCP (Sebastian Schmitz) writes:

> In fact just this Monday, the "Spiegel" ( a well known German
> news weekly) has published some statistics, re. juvenile
> alcoholism. So lets inject some figures into this debate.
> Samples were from 2300 students from Bremen and Berlin,i.e. not
> Bavaria, where alcohol is more common:
>
> * 37 % of all students age 12 - 24 drink alcoholic beverages
>         regularly.

[ ... and increases thru-out the teens. ]

Seb offered some explanations why this might be true, like
peer pressure, among others.

Here is another: the weight of stress upon pubescent,
adolescent children.

(a brief diversion)

An article in "Science News" about a year ago reported about experiments
with elephants (yes, elephants) who were divided into two
groups, each supplied with both water and alcohol (?wine).

Their respective surroundings were identical, except that one group
had a smaller living space, ie, a denser population.  This group
tended to go for the wine quite a bit (a few (humorous) descriptions
of drunken elephants were provided).  The other group didn't touch
the stuff (or very little, if at all).

It was also reported that while elephants do not typically find
barrels of wine in the jungles, they *do* find rotted fruit,
and guess what's in that?  (not a very good vintage, tho' ...).

This suggests some relationship between stress and the consumption
of drugs.

I suggest that this is related to the adolescent consumption of alcohol
quite directly.  We find increasing alcohol use coincidentally
over the same time period of puberty, which, as you may recall,
is a rather stressful period of life.  This, topped with the
typical adolescent preoccupation with self-image, suggests
a whole bunch of stress, and like over-crowded elephants,
they seek a temporary means of escape.

[ note that this cross-posted to net.med and net.sci, and
  that followups are directed to them and not net.jobs where
  the topic arose. ]
--
Gordon A. Moffett		...!{ihnp4,seismo,hplabs}!amdahl!gam

 ~ Ah don't need no diamond ring ~
 ~ Ah don't need no Cadillac car! ~
 ~ Ah just wanna drink my Lone Star beer ~
 ~ Down in the Lightnin' bar! ~