[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] 9 interesting & challenging problems for Netman

J.Crowcroft@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Jon Crowcroft) (09/20/90)

Here are what we consider to be 9 interesting & challenging problems for
network management (these are based on
real requirements, not tedious exhaustive MIB definitions):

1. given the trace of packets between two end points on a LAN,
and a FSM, petri net, lotos/csp/ccs/Estelle spec for the protocol,
detect protocol (elements of procedure) errors. (easier, do the same
given ASN or XDR for packet formats:-)

2. Given same data, automatically ascribe performance problems
to incorrect packet size, timeout, window etc...

3. given a traffic matrixfor a LAN, automatically find the best place
to partitionm the net with a bridge/switch/router (subject to any
sensible topographical/logical or other constraints).

4. Find a good way to visualise the "closeness" of hosts based on the
frequency with which they communicate (this is non-trivial)

5. Automatically draw a "tube" map (friendly/Metro) of the net given
the topography...

6. Given a general traffic trace, detect patterns of communication
involving more than 2 parties (e.g. YP or DNS lookup followed by
telnet is triv. case).

7. Interpret auto-correllation between packets from/to and/or
same src/dst in a sensible fashion...

8. Given a trace of packets between 2 protocol entities at layer 4,
invent a pleasant and efficient programming language to describe &
enable the reconstruction of application level exchanges.

9. Do all of the above for an Internet.

--------
I am sure there are more - if any of these are covered by any of the
public domain management tools accumulated by IETF i'd be verra
interested

thanks

jon

Makey@Logicon.COM (Jeff Makey) (09/22/90)

J.Crowcroft@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Jon Crowcroft) writes:
>3. given a traffic matrixfor a LAN, automatically find the best place
>to partitionm the net with a bridge/switch/router (subject to any
>sensible topographical/logical or other constraints).

All of the other problems seem to be Hard, but this one should be
solvable by ordinary Operations Research techniques.

                           :: Jeff Makey

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
    Disclaimer: All opinions are strictly those of the author.
    Internet: Makey@Logicon.COM    UUCP: {nosc,ucsd}!logicon.com!Makey

Z.Wang@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Zheng Wang) (09/22/90)

 >Here are what we consider to be 9 interesting & challenging problems for
 >network management (these are based on
 >real requirements, not tedious exhaustive MIB definitions):

 >1. given the trace of packets between two end points on a LAN,
 >and a FSM, petri net, lotos/csp/ccs/Estelle spec for the protocol,
 >detect protocol (elements of procedure) errors. (easier, do the same
 >given ASN or XDR for packet formats:-)

 >2. Given same data, automatically ascribe performance problems
 >to incorrect packet size, timeout, window etc...

 >3. given a traffic matrixfor a LAN, automatically find the best place
 >to partitionm the net with a bridge/switch/router (subject to any
 >sensible topographical/logical or other constraints).

 >4. Find a good way to visualise the "closeness" of hosts based on the
 >frequency with which they communicate (this is non-trivial)

 >5. Automatically draw a "tube" map (friendly/Metro) of the net given
 >the topography...

 >6. Given a general traffic trace, detect patterns of communication
 >involving more > than 2 parties (e.g. YP or DNS lookup followed by
 >telnet is triv. case).

 >7. Interpret auto-correllation between packets from/to and/or
 >same src/dst in a sensible fashion...

 >8. Given a trace of packets between 2 protocol entities at layer 4,
 >invent a pleasant and efficient programming language to describe &
 >enable the reconstruction of application level exchanges.

 >9. Do all of the above for an Internet.

To solve all the problems by machines can be very hard. We may have
to wait a couple of years for neural nets to grow and to learn.
But human brains are the best to do those jobs. What is needed
is a tool for us to see the traffic inside the cables.

I imagine what we need is a huge screen (as seen at some city
traffic control centers) with all the nodes and links. Each
connection is represented by a thin line. When traffic passes,
it leaves a trace on the line. So the more traffic passes, the darker
the line is. Different traffic can be represented by different
colors (eg. Yellow Page traffic is yellow :-) We also need some
buttons so we can choose to average the traffic at different
intervals. Yes, we need a camera to get a snap shoot from time
to time.

With the visulization of the complete traffic, a human brain
can easily answer some of the 9 questions.

For a LAN, to collecting the data at a reasonable interval may
not be a problem. But for an Internet, we may have to put all the
snap shoots together to see the whole picture.

Zheng

rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (09/26/90)

In article <9009221327.AA25351@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Z.Wang@CS.UCL.AC.UK
(Zheng Wang) writes:
+---------------
| I imagine what we need is a huge screen (as seen at some city
| traffic control centers) with all the nodes and links. Each
| connection is represented by a thin line. When traffic passes,
| it leaves a trace on the line. So the more traffic passes, the darker
| the line is....
+---------------

This is exactly what SGI's new "NetVisualyzer" product does, that is, the
"netlook" program (one of the NetVisualyzer subsystems). [See it at Interop.]

+---------------
|          ... Different traffic can be represented by different
| colors (eg. Yellow Page traffic is yellow :-)
+---------------

Hmmm... Good idea. Except that we already use colors for "the more traffic
passes, the [brighter] the line is". You can do most of the selective
viewing by enabling/disabling filters for different traffic type, but I
suppose there might be times when you'd want to see the ebb and flow of
two different kinds of traffic...  [Have to talk to the implementers...]

+---------------
| We also need some buttons so we can choose to average the traffic
| at different intervals.
+---------------

Got that already ("rescaling interval" and "timeout interval" knobs).

+---------------
| Yes, we need a camera to get a snap shoot from time to time.
+---------------

Or just save the captured/displayed data in a log file? For later replay?
[Got that.]

+---------------
| With the visulization of the complete traffic, a human brain
| can easily answer some of the 9 questions.
+---------------

Yeah, and sometimes it's startling! The first time you see a "timed"
update on your LAN, you say, "Wha' th' hell was thayet thayer?!?"
[At least, I did...  ;-}  ]

+---------------
| For a LAN, to collecting the data at a reasonable interval may
| not be a problem.  But for an Internet, we may have to put all the
| snap shoots together to see the whole picture.
+---------------

"NetVisualizer" lets you select a remote station to do the snooping, while
displaying on the local system. [To be fair, I believe there are other
products out there that support remote monitoring, too, though without
the fancy graphics...]

Still, that doesn't solve the problem completely for a large internet, since
gathering the real-time data can itself become a significant traffic load.

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-9U/510		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz (Michael Newbery) (09/27/90)

In article <70311@sgi.sgi.com> rpw3@sgi.com (Rob Warnock) writes:
>In article <9009221327.AA25351@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Z.Wang@CS.UCL.AC.UK
>(Zheng Wang) writes:
>+---------------
>| I imagine what we need is a huge screen (as seen at some city
>| traffic control centers) with all the nodes and links. Each
>| connection is represented by a thin line. When traffic passes,
>| it leaves a trace on the line. So the more traffic passes, the darker
>| the line is....
>+---------------
>
>This is exactly what SGI's new "NetVisualyzer" product does, that is, the
>"netlook" program (one of the NetVisualyzer subsystems). [See it at Interop.]

Yes, it's very nice (at least the video I saw was impressive---pity my TV
screen isn't as high res as the Iris :-) but it requires an Iris
workstation on every segment to collect data! Great for SG if they want to
sell lots of Iris's but a little out of our range I'm afraid. Also, in the
case of Point to Point ethernet over fibre links (router-router) it's not
even theoretically possible.
Now, if the product collected data from SNMP agents it would be rather
more generally useful.
--
Michael Newbery<newbery@rata.vuw.ac.nz>
Levitation: Joseph of Cupertino (1603-1663) was the subject of such frequent

mrose@CHEETAH.CA.PSI.COM (Marshall Rose) (09/27/90)

Hmmm... A network management product that does not use SNMP.  Well,
that's certainly an *interesting* direction to take...  (I'm far too
polite to spell-out what I mean by *interesting*).

In any event, discussion on this thread:

	1. Has gotten away from the main topic of Jon's original message.

	2. Is getting dangerously close to product advertisement.

Perhaps we might get back to the original topic?

/mtr

mogul@wrl.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul) (10/05/90)

In article <9009210641.AA20321@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> J.Crowcroft@CS.UCL.AC.UK (Jon Crowcroft) writes:
>1. given the trace of packets between two end points on a LAN,
>and a FSM, petri net, lotos/csp/ccs/Estelle spec for the protocol,
>detect protocol (elements of procedure) errors. (easier, do the same
>given ASN or XDR for packet formats:-)
>
>2. Given same data, automatically ascribe performance problems
>to incorrect packet size, timeout, window etc...

This is similar to research reported on by Bruce L. Hitson in
"Knowledge-Based Monitoring and Control: An Approach to Understanding
the Behavior of TCP/IP Network Protocols", Proc. SIGCOMM '88.

This was a rule-based system, not a "specification-based" system,
but perhaps that is not such a big difference.

>4. Find a good way to visualise the "closeness" of hosts based on the
>frequency with which they communicate (this is non-trivial)
>
>5. Automatically draw a "tube" map (friendly/Metro) of the net given
>the topography...

Jon sent his message before he attended SIGCOMM '90 last week, where
I gave a paper that touched on this topic.  This is "work in progress"
so it will be a while before I can publish a detailed paper.

>7. Interpret auto-correllation between packets from/to and/or
>same src/dst in a sensible fashion...

I suppose this depends on one's definition of "sensible", but I've
seen a few papers on this.  For example, Mark J. Lorence and M.
Satyanarayanan, "IPwatch: A Tool For Monitoring Network Locality",
Operating Systems Review 24:1 (January 1990).

These all seem to be fertile areas for research, as Jon has pointed out.

-Jeff