[comp.protocols.tcp-ip] TCP/IP for DEPCA boards

beach@DDNUVAX.AF.MIL (darrel beach) (10/02/90)

Another plea for info...

   Can anyone point me to drivers, software, vendors to let me run
TCP/IP on PCs which have a DEPCA (Digitals Ethernet PC bus Adapter)
cards.  Packet drivers compatible with NCSA, KA9Q, or even a commercial
package would be appreciated.

Thanx in advance...
Darrel Beach

In article <CMM.0.88.654810935.beach@ddnuvax.af.mil> beach@DDNUVAX.AF.MIL (darrel beach) writes:

      Can anyone point me to drivers, software, vendors to let me run
   TCP/IP on PCs which have a DEPCA (Digitals Ethernet PC bus Adapter)
   cards.  Packet drivers compatible with NCSA, KA9Q, or even a commercial
   package would be appreciated.

Not yet, but the picture is coming into focus.  We've gone from
"Digital refuses to release programming information" (that was just a
rumor) to "How may I help get you the information you need to write a
packet driver?"

Maybe in a couple of months...

--
--russ (nelson@clutx [.bitnet | .clarkson.edu])  Russ.Nelson@$315.268.6667
It's better to get mugged than to live a life of fear -- Freeman Dyson

jbvb@FTP.COM (James B. Van Bokkelen) (10/02/90)

I'm posting to the list because this question gets asked awfully frequently:

DEC's PCSA and DECNet/DOS products currently use a hardware-independent
interface-sharing driver spec called "DLL".  It is documented in the
VaxMate Tech Ref.  DEC supplies DLL drivers for various interfaces
(theirs and 3Com's, I think) with PCSA and DECNet/DOS, and a number of
other board vendors (e.g.  Western Digital, Interlan that I know of)
also offer DLL drivers for their own boards.  FTP's PC/TCP (part PC-223)
and Wollongong's WIN/PC can use DLL drivers.

In addition, DEC has or will soon release an NDIS driver for the DEPCA.
If you have this, you can use it with our freeware NDIS to Packet Driver
adapter module (in pub/packet.driver/NDIS on vax.ftp.com, I won't mail
it to you) and any of the TCP/IPs that support the Packet Driver (PC/TCP,
WIN/PC, BWTCP, PCIP, KA9Q, NCSA, CUTCP, PCRoute, etc.).

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (10/04/90)

nelson@sun.soe.clarkson.edu (Russ Nelson) writes:

>In article <CMM.0.88.654810935.beach@ddnuvax.af.mil> beach@DDNUVAX.AF.MIL (darrel beach) writes:

>      Can anyone point me to drivers, software, vendors to let me run
>   TCP/IP on PCs which have a DEPCA (Digitals Ethernet PC bus Adapter)
>   cards.  Packet drivers compatible with NCSA, KA9Q, or even a commercial
>   package would be appreciated.

>Not yet, but the picture is coming into focus.  We've gone from
>"Digital refuses to release programming information" (that was just a
>rumor) to "How may I help get you the information you need to write a
>packet driver?"

Wollongong's TCP for DOS has appropriate drivers etc. for DEPCA cards *but*
like PCSA, they only seem to provide full functionality on the supported PC
platforms ie IBM, Compaq etc. Clones of various types (with their myriad
BIOS's) just don't work at all sometimes. This seems to occur with
monotonous regularity.

When it does work it's just fine :-)

			ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group

ctw@aerospace.aero.org (Charles T. Wolverton) (10/06/90)

In Article: 13237, ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) says:

> Wollongong's TCP for DOS has appropriate drivers etc. for DEPCA cards ...

			ian

My Wollongong documentation has installation instructions for

1. "an existing DEC LAN in working condition"
2. "an existing 3com 3+Open LAN in working condition"

Is this equivalent to:

1.' "a network card with the appropriate DEC DLL-compliant driver"
2.' "a network card with the appropriate MS NDIS-compliant driver and
    protocol manager software" ???

If no, I don't understand the response quoted above. If yes, wouldn't
the restated versions (possibly corrected, since I don't really
understand yet how NDIS works and know nothing about DLL) be more
generally useful??

Edification, please.

-chas   ctw@aero.org
--